What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Aurodox

What did you do today?

2,083 posts in this topic

That's not awful, that's just KIM JONG UN showing how disorganized he is at drawing Lewis structures.

Also, who taught you like dat man?

I'm sorry ;_;

Tiddy-bits:

Was out drinking with a friend last night, loads of fun afterwards. Ran to the grocery store today though, was intense.

WaeV likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Where do I start? (this is what happens when I start browsing Wikipedia)

Dunning-Kruger Effect

From my understanding:

Illusory Incompetence = People who don't brag about their skills/achievements/intelligence/etc.

Illusory Competence = People who brag about their skills/achievements/intelligence/etc.

Betteridge law of Headlines

"Any headline which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word no."

"This story is a great demonstration of my maxim that any headline which ends in a question mark can be answered by the word "no." The reason why journalists use that style of headline is that they know the story is probably bollocks, and don’t actually have the sources and facts to back it up, but still want to run it."

Anosognosia

In short, there is an official diagnosis for a disease, in which the psychological effects are that you are unaware you have a disease.

Occams Razor

The method in which you simplify pieces of information for a greater understanding and then expanding on those explanations in depth to form a theory or conclusion (which is basically what I'm doing as I speak).

Something else I just learned this morning; You can change the bitrate you would like to export to in Audacity. I always thought since they were free plugins and media companies are funny about that kind of stuff that the only available bitrate was 128Kbps. Turns out I can encode at 320Kbps.

http://audioacrobat.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/audacity-specify-mp3-bit-rate-quality/

WaeV and Kvasir like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

yesterday i spent an hour or so looking up how car engines work, what each part does, different technologies that each company uses, etc. Actually pretty interesting, its pretty cool to see how engineers were able to get around certain problems by using pretty simple concepts.

Ie: the vtec system in hondas(my civic has a vtec 4 cyl). in order to run at the most efficiency, the engine needs just the right amount of fuel for each rpm level. when each piston is ready to accept fuel for its cycle, the camshaft opens the valve at the exact time and amount of time that it needs. the more fuel generally means a little more power yet shittier fuel economy. honda's vtec system has the best of both worlds. When at rpms under 4500, one camshaft is used and once the rpm is pushed past that, another camshaft is used. the lower rpm camshaft allows for the best fuel efficiency and the higher rpm allows for a little more power. so honda takes a shitty little 4 cyl and is able to get the best fuel economy and power(lololololol) out of it.

WaeV likes this

Almost bought an original Xbox last night for $24 off Ebay last night. Stopped short when they said shipping was $17. It came with a good deal of games. I just don't know if my kid will like original Xbox that much. And, in a few months, lots of people will be dumping Xbox 360's on the market with loads of games attached for around that anyway as they upgrade to 720. Probably will pick up a used 360 then.

Floofies, Solaris and WaeV like this

Almost bought an original Xbox last night for $24 off Ebay last night. Stopped short when they said shipping was $17. It came with a good deal of games. I just don't know if my kid will like original Xbox that much. And, in a few months, lots of people will be dumping Xbox 360's on the market with loads of games attached for around that anyway as they upgrade to 720. Probably will pick up a used 360 then.

Apparently there is a cheaper version of the Xbox 360 coming out around the same time as next Xbox. That might be something worth looking into.

Beverly likes this

if you really want to treat your kid right.. get them a PC

teach them the ways of PC maintenance and upgrading

Beverly likes this

if you really want to treat your kid right.. get them a PC

teach them the ways of PC maintenance and upgrading

I'd be the evil dad making my kids learn how to use DOS or Unix (with CLI of course).
Sceny, WaeV and ForkSpoonz like this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365