Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greyham_666

Downsampling Halo

15 posts in this topic

Was recently looking into killing the slight jaggies (aliasing artefacts) I still had when running Halo PC @ 1080p w/HAC2 and an SMAA Injector ( http://mrhaandi.blogspot.com.au/p/injectsmaa.html ). Said 'looking into' led me to down-sampling. I've researched into it before, but was never able to get it to work on my system. However, after Looking at this:

http://www.pcgamer.com/how-to-run-halo-combat-evolved-on-windows-78

I can report that I've successfully run halo down-sampled from 4K to 1080p. Screenshots should be up soon, but I was really impressed at Halo's crisp-ness, given its age. Further tweaking may be needed as i was only getting around 20fps, which is hard to play with. 

Hope this helps :)

*EDIT*
Here's an example screenshot. Might take a while to get some really nice ones, as i need to find a nice location, take the 129MB screenshot, then covert it to PNG to shrink it with out making it look like shit, then upload it :P

***WARNING HUGE IMAGES***

9fe9INs.jpg

*EDIT 2*

Turns out im running Halo @ 8K >_< ( 7680x4320) and after further tweaks, and i can get a solid 30fps w/Bicubic scaling and Ultra AA in GeDoSaTo, so i'm pretty chuffed

Takka likes this

Tiddy-bits:

It's crisp like an ice-cold coca-cola

in a glass bottle

it was so good looking I broke my 1337 posting count to say this :'(

Shit apparently status updates count as posts for the count. Boo.

Edited by NeX
greyham_666 likes this

KsqHutE.png

Shit apparently status updates count as posts for the count. Boo.=

Nope, status updates don't. You've just been posting a number of times elsewhere since you've gotten that post count.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Nope, status updates don't. You've just been posting a number of times elsewhere since you've gotten that post count.

....how? I swear I was so careful just to lurk for a few days

KsqHutE.png

Didn't someone re-do the Halo 1 HUD with non original xbox spec. textures ie higher resolution? The HUD has been the main downside for me while experimenting with this down-sampling business, given they're being up-scaled to hell. If the high res. HUD found their way into PC or CE single player maps, i'd love to know about it :)

Didn't someone re-do the Halo 1 HUD with non original xbox spec. textures ie higher resolution? The HUD has been the main downside for me while experimenting with this down-sampling business, given they're being up-scaled to hell. If the high res. HUD found their way into PC or CE single player maps, i'd love to know about it :)

Honestly redoing it, upscaling tracing and filling in photoshop would take like....3 hours tops

KsqHutE.png

Honestly redoing it, upscaling tracing and filling in photoshop would take like....3 tops

i don't doubt it. but if someone's already done the work, i can just replace the old HUD tags with the new ones

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0