What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Samuco

The quest for 32 player MD servers

12 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

The only thing I see this being useful for is huge fucking maps. Luckily, we could use more players on huge fucking maps.

I believe that teams are set up to, and may exceed 16 slots.  Team games (ctf) = 2 teams, FFA games = 16 'teams' - PLUS -  red and blue team designation for each FFA player is assignable/writeable.  In team games, the FFA team designation is 0xfff, but can also be assigned/written.  This is how I accidentally achieved multi-team vehicles in FFA games for phasor - I was muckin about testing multiple things in one setting, including writing "sv_maxplayers 32" in a devmode manner -   the 17th player could join, quit and leave, but the server still showed them in the server after they quit (buffer not flushing maybe?, "We got a floater!"). 

Later AelitePrime wrote a cleaner script that simply wrote the FFA players "Team" to be red team - which also sometimes means you "betray" your non-teammate.  Having a no lag multi-team vehicle is kick ass for adding variety.

So what does all that crap have to do with your endeavor?  Keep at it, you may discover other "happy accidents" along the way.  Use mac/md - I don't care, but be willing to share as you have done so you or others may develop the same for PC/full versions.

Nice job, wish I knew how to do that schtuff . . . but also kinda glad I don't, it would act as a sensual lube for my halo addiction, and the last thing I need is to have "Halo PC: Ribbed and lubed for your pleasure." :P

NeX likes this

But this would have to be a server extension, yeah? Phasor is open sourced, but then theres sehe, who is known for his jovial graciousness

KsqHutE.png

This will be great to see in the future. There aren't a lot of maps that would benefit from this, certainly not any stock map that's for sure. Enormous maps will see the most use, though I wouldn't mind seeing a 32 player Battle Creek server for laughs.

It would have to be a server extension as well as a client extension, yeah. Fortunately Phasor won't be far behind SAPP once it gets official no-lead support (one of these days, apparently).

Phasor will probably remain the most vanilla server extension, due to it having only a few features on its own, while SAPP has a lot of features upfront. It's not necessarily a bad thing, as hosts can install only the things they want. A lot of features missing can be pretty essential, though, like rcon brute force protection, aimbot protection, and, of course, no-lead.

Edited by 002
Floofies and WaeV like this

I figure I should post a general update on what happened to this plugin.

There are quite a few things I didn't bother putting in the thread. It's missing a tonne of tables and basically all information about Halo code I had to modify. I suspect the Halo code has a #define kMaxPlayers 16 or something statement, which is why increasing the limit is a pain  :D I got to the point on this plugin where 17 players could join a game and could all move around etc. There are still a few glitches (some packets are broken, I've overridden stuff not related to netcode and it has screwed with the radar etc). I never tried to get 18 players into the game so for all I know it's possible. Uni summer break ended and the plugin has been on hold ever since  :wacko:. I've recently been building a new Halo client using Electron which has the ability to join games, chat, move around, shoot, show enemy players etc. I've decoded a lot of the net code, which has taught me a lot of things (and shown me some of the packets which need modification). I imagine having a lightweight client which is capable of supporting 32 players is useful for programming the SAPP side of things. However, I still have college, a thesis and post graduate college applications to worry about, so it's still on hold.

TL;DR - I have a Halo MD client/server that supports 17 players but I'm busy and don't have time at the moment to finish it

NeX and aLTis like this

Having this number of players on a map would certainly improve some of the larger ones such as infinity or a custom map like presidio.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0