What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Floofies

Getting ready for Newegg sales

18 posts in this topic

Im with Btc, that PSU is fine. Go 650w if you see more hard drives or a 780+/290x+ in your future.

A devil's canyon + a low end amd card will barely scratch 350 tdp.

Tiddy-bits:

Im with Btc, that PSU is fine. Go 650w if you see more hard drives or a 780+/290x+ in your future.

A devil's canyon + a low end amd card will barely scratch 350 tdp.

Hmm. If I go with a refurbished 650W I actually wind up saving a few bucks, so why not go with 650W?

BTW I'm open to just buying a prebuilt if it has better/same specs for the same price. Kind of like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229496

refurbished

Crappy warranty?

Also, I've been using a 550w psu with multiple setups - Overclocked Phenom + 6670, Overclocked Phenom + 7870 and now a overclocked i5 4690K + 7870 - I don't recall having any issue with my 550w power supply.

Stock wattage for Phenom was 125w.

Stock wattage for 7870 was 170w.

Edited by Sceny

How so?

Because you're using parts with far lower draw than my PC and having done the calculations for my own machine, I know it'd work on 500w (albeit just about). You could stick a high-end card* in there with 500w.

*Nvidia's (x80 cards) would work fine but I haven't done the calculations for AMD's cards, although I'd expect them to be fine, with perhaps a couple of exceptions.

Hmm. If I go with a refurbished 650W I actually wind up saving a few bucks, so why not go with 650W?

BTW I'm open to just buying a prebuilt if it has better/same specs for the same price. Kind of like this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883229496

Don't buy cheapo brand or possibly dodgy PSUs. /assumption

Edited by Btcc22

There should always be headroom of at least 100w when you're doing a build, because it's hard to be sure of what exactly will be enough. PSU calculators are not to be trusted.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

There should always be headroom of at least 100w when you're doing a build, because it's hard to be sure of what exactly will be enough. PSU calculators are not to be trusted.

You can trust the manufacturers of the parts to be correct, for the most part. If not, look at reviews for true numbers.

A PSU is the last part I'd ever buy refurb. I'd buy refurb SSDs before buying a refurb PSU. At least data loss doesn't burn the house down.

Takka and Floofies like this

Crappy warranty?

According to Newegg, the refurbished PSU comes with a 5 year manufacturer warranty. The new PSU's only come with a 3 year warranty.

Actually now that I think of it, it doesn't matter what the warranty is. If it fries other shit it won't matter... I'll go for this PSU then: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139048

It's not 650W, but it's 100 more watts than 500.

Parts are on their way! Thanks for the help!

Takka and xvii like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0