What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SuperShifty

graphical bugs/glitches

20 posts in this topic

For AGES, up until a recent update apparently, a Nvidia video card couldn't properly render active camo. There was no refraction or distortion on the player, it just made them semi-transparent.

Yeah, my old Nvidia GT 520 did the semi-transparent crap. Never even knew it was broken since I only played CE on the xbox maybe twice.

But now on my laptop's GTX 745m it works fine (even worked pre 1.10 update/hac)

KsqHutE.png

Tiddy-bits:

No fault of the cards themselves. Gearbox specifically checked if the card was Nvidia and disabled the better active camo, because no Nvidia cards at the time (2003) could do the effect. The cards have been technically capable for a decade, but the check was not removed until recently, thanks to Btcc22 :)

They seemed to only put that check for Nvidia graphics. My computer's Intel graphics seems to render everything just fine, though, of course, not as fast.

Edited by 002

Yup. Probably because the only two major companies making graphics cards at the time were Nvidia and ATI. Intel didn't start until much later.

It's a good thing they didn't try to whitelist ATI instead of blacklisting only Nvidia, or the active camo would have been completely broken after ATI merged with AMD.

But now on my laptop's GTX 745m it works fine (even worked pre 1.10 update/hac)

Oh, didn't see this. Maybe it's so new that Halo doesn't recognize it as Nvidia for some reason.

(Or you had HAC installed, which fixed this before Bungie did).

Oh, didn't see this. Maybe it's so new that Halo doesn't recognize it as Nvidia for some reason.

(Or you had HAC installed, which fixed this before Bungie did).

Must be option 1, (see my post) it was working on this card before the HAC fix was pushed out.

KsqHutE.png

Must be option 1, (see my post) it was working on this card before the HAC fix was pushed out.

The camo was fixed a whiles back, 1.08 or 1.09 I believe. It was working 2-3 years ago IIRC, just not for the decade prior to that.

NeX likes this

The camo was fixed a whiles back, 1.08 or 1.09 I believe. It was working 2-3 years ago IIRC, just not for the decade prior to that.

Nah, it was 1.10. The code had a check for the manufacturer ID - if it worked with your Nvidia card, there's a chance that it was receiving the wrong ID for whatever reason (multiple cards, integrated graphics, Nvidia using a different ID, etc).

Edited by Btcc22
DeadHamster likes this

Nah, it was 1.10. The code had a check for the manufacturer ID - if it worked with your Nvidia card, there's a chance that it was receiving the wrong ID for whatever reason (multiple cards, integrated graphics, Nvidia using a different ID, etc).

There it is then, at the time I had an AMD computer, my desktop ran off the onboard "card" whereas I had a second monitor with a Nvidia card that I would run the games off.

WaeV likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0