Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TCK

Question about my old hard drive

11 posts in this topic

So I had a 1 TB HDD that fucked out on me a month ago, I got it back on its feet for a while with a full reformat and fresh Windows install, but then it eventually ended up crashing again. From what I can tell, part of the disk is permanently corrupted and unusable, while part of it is fine and the computer runs fine when it doesn't try to access the bad areas.

Anyway before the first time I realized I had HDD problems, I had been having some various lockups and eventually a couple crashes. During any of these times, as far as I remember, I was using flash on multiple applications. Every time. I have a feeling it's just a coincidence, but part of me wondered (since I'm not a hardware expert) about whether Adobe's improper use of virtual memory (which is of course located on the hard drive) could ruin the partition of a drive it's on for any reason.

Feel free to tell me I'm retarded.

Floofies likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

You're not retarded, HDD failure just sucks ass. I have had to tell a lot of my clients that theirs is completely gone, everything dead. It's like being a doctor and telling a family their baby just died or something.

Are you using programs like Adobe Photoshop, or anything from the Creative Suite? If so, they require a "scratch disk", and naturally pick your primary drive to be that disk. It's extremely active virtual memory, so it shortens the life of your HDD by a lot. Adobe recommends to buy a completely separate drive just for use as a scratch disk, and to not use your boot/system drive. Chances are it's not Adobe's programs corrupting the drive though. You probably have a few bad sectors, which can be detected by various programs. Windows' built in CHKDSK might be able to help you, so try this: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/check-your-hard-disk-for-errors

Specifically, you want to do this:

To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.
DiSiAC and TCK like this

Someone may have a different view on things, but I come from the school of if the hdd has failed it should be replaced.  Milking along a failing hdd is a disaster waiting to happen. 

TCK and Floofies like this

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

Someone may have a different view on things, but I come from the school of if the hdd has failed it should be replaced.  Milking along a failing hdd is a disaster waiting to happen. 

Exactly right. IMO you should do the repair just so you can get stuff of the drive, then replace it. Don't hope for it to keep living... it won't.

DiSiAC likes this

Yeah I tried a chkdsk a month ago, it failed to initialize the drive because it said the drive was locked. I just replaced it with a smaller drive. I've worked on this drive enough by now to know better than to continue trying to save it, just thought I'd ask. That does sound irresponsible of Adobe, I'm going to look at disabling virtual memory entirely. With 8 GB RAM there's no excuse to use virtual.

Floofies likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

With 8 GB RAM there's no excuse to use virtual.

You would be surprised.  I have 16GB and still keep my virtual enabled.  Also, I've never had a hard drive randomly fail on me so in recent years I've become more and more paranoid and worried because I know the inevitable is coming.  One of these days I'll lose all the outdated random downloads I've collected over the years.  I know 99% of it is useless, but once in a blue moon I'll be like "oh hey didn't I have an old version of X software or image or video/audio file in that one downloads folder?" and it ends up being useful.  I could probably go through and delete the failed downloads and whatnot but there are just sooooo many.  One of these days...

Floofies, WaeV and TCK like this

oVoXWXc.png

I got my PC back in January 2010 when an Intel quad Q8200 was cool shit and 8 GB was as much RAM as your dick could ever use. It's all still decent but I might need to upgrade when I hit the five year mark.

Umh7x1l.gif

I don't know man, my dick has a pretty big memory footprint.  It's also got a memory leak somewhere, and when it starts it just gets bigger and bigger and bigger until bad shit starts happening.  Had to go to the hospital twice last year for it.

TCK, Sceny, Kavawuvi and 1 other like this

oVoXWXc.png

Exactly right. IMO you should do the repair just so you can get stuff of the drive, then replace it. Don't hope for it to keep living... it won't.

I learned this the hard way a long time ago, though it was interesting how long I could re-use a failing HD =) [i did it twice!]

I do a few things now that I didn't used to before:

1) Not leaving my computer 24/7 running for server/internet connected related tasks..

2) Buying a new computer around 3-4 year mark for obtaining a fresh new HD.

3) Using an automated backup to drive solution (time machine in my case)

Floofies likes this