Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaeV

[Tutorial] Relocating Your Program Files and Users Directories

14 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

Great tutorial man =]

This comes in very handy

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Pretty cool, although there's no place like $HOME

Floofies likes this

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

I'd totally go with a Linux install, but some things just don't work, even in Wine. Anything .Net greater than 2.0, for example.

I was looking into Citrix Xenclient for running both Windows and Linux at the same time, but it only supports like, 20 types of laptop. And they're all expensive as fuck. Xenclient is sweet, though. It's a "type-1 hypervisor", which means it's like Virtualbox or VMware but doesn't need an underlying OS - it runs on "bare metal". What makes Xenclient special is near-native speeds, and direct GPU passthrough. So you can be playing Crysis on Windows 7 and have a Linux distro running AT THE SAME TIME. Then you can pause the Windows OS and compile all kinds of shit in Linux, no reboot required. Complete switching freedom. So cool.

Update: As a note of warning, my 24GB C: drive just ran out of space. I thought it would be no big deal to simply resize the partition, but apparently I have "bad blocks" and Disk Director refuses to resize.

24GB lasted long enough, but after .Net 4, all those Visual C++ Redistributables, and the service packs / upgrades to MS Office and Visual Studio, it wasn't enough. I'm bumping my recommended amount up to 40GB.

Edited by WaeV

Whenever someone I know replaces a computer/our school sells the old ones its worth looking at most are good enough to run a nix server/daemon on instead of partitioning your main drive and losing space for your main OS.

Edited by ZeroMemory
WaeV likes this

7oWRJVS.gif

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0