Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skeezix the Cat

how do you pronounce "gif"?

25 posts in this topic

I'm not so sure there's an official way of pronunciation for gif. Similarly I "properly" pronounce the letter "W" like "double u" instead of the "dubbayoo" most people in my area pronounce it. It all comes down to personal preference, I think.

Really though. JIF just makes me think of peanut butter, which I have on my mind quite often anyway. And G-I-F is a little bit long for a file extension. GIF seems the proper way to say it in my mind.

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I'm not so sure there's an official way of pronunciation for gif. Similarly I "properly" pronounce the letter "W" like "double u" instead of the "dubbayoo" most people in my area pronounce it. It all comes down to personal preference, I believe.

Really though. JIF just makes me think of peanut butter, which I have on my mind quite often anyway. And G-I-F is a little bit long for a file extension. GIF seems the proper way to say it in my mind.

x5cGv4R.jpg

Kavawuvi, Skeezix the Cat and swamp like this

76561198042969364.png

I can understand what you're both saying, but at the same time I feel like if I made a game named Big Dick, and told everyone, "hey guys it's pronounced 'duck' so be sure not to pronounce it wrong," I should be chuckled at and people should pronounce it dick.

Umh7x1l.gif

I usually just say the letters... and it goes well with a lot of other formats as well. PSD, AI, BMP, and PDF are all formats where I say the letters. There's also hybrid pronunciations, like JPEG, where people say the letter "J" and then pronounce the "PEG".

In terms of grammatical correctness, you have to consider the Vowel (i) in GIF, and how it changes the letter before it in order to pronounce it correctly.

Historically though, the letter i doesn't make g soft. Look at the words I listed before: gift, give, gill, gimp, giddy. Even names like Gilmore.

Floofies likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

Historically though, the letter i doesn't make g soft. Look at the words I listed before: gift, give, gill, gimp, giddy. Even names like Gilmore.

It doesn't have to. Giles is a name, like GIF, and Giles has a soft 'g' sound and the letter 'i' after the 'g'. What makes English difficult to learn is all of the exceptions to everything, and the exceptions to the exceptions.

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/giles

Edited by 002
Floofies likes this

I can understand what you're both saying, but at the same time I feel like if I made a game named Big Dick, and told everyone, "hey guys it's pronounced 'duck' so be sure not to pronounce it wrong," I should be chuckled at and people should pronounce it dick.

That would make more sense if you said it was pronounced dyke, but then it would also weaken the point you're trying to make.  I get your point, but surely there are better examples.  The letter i is a dual sound letter, one of those sounds is not shared with U but it is shared with Y.

Edited by Skeezix the Cat

oVoXWXc.png

True, I understand what you're saying. I don't think that it weakens the point though because there's still no reasoning behind saying "dyke" instead of "dick."

Umh7x1l.gif

It doesn't have to. Giles is a name, like GIF, and Giles has a soft 'g' sound and the letter 'i' after the 'g'. What makes English difficult to learn is all of the exceptions to everything, and the exceptions to the exceptions.

http://www.pronouncenames.com/pronounce/giles

The more common example is giraffe. I actually had no idea Giles was pronounced with a soft g, although it makes sense since Guiles isn't.

Kavawuvi likes this

The more common example is giraffe. I actually had no idea Giles was pronounced with a soft g, although it makes sense since Guiles isn't.

Giles, giraffe, ginger, giant, gin... And GIF.

Edited by 002
Skeezix the Cat likes this