What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skeezix the Cat

how do you pronounce "gif"?

25 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

i thought the creator said it had a J sound or something to that effect so i use a J

that's also how i say gibbed or giblets, coincidentally

What forks said. The creator very specifically said it's pronounced like JIF the peanut butter.

"Choosy moms choose JIF."

"Choosy developers choose GIF."

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Well shit.  You guys seem pretty balanced on both sides.  I'm in the soft G crowd, and my friend likes his Gs to be hard like the dicks he sucks on.  I was hoping you'd all be like hurr durr obviously like jif but I guess the stalemate continues lol

WaeV likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Yeah I pronounce it like gift. I mean you got gift, gill, Gilmore, gimp, give, giddy... only word I can think of with a soft g followed by i is gin (and subsequently ginger), which is a drink from Holland or somewhere anyway. Creator of the format didn't create the English language so his opinion can fuck off. I would say it's up to every person to choose, except that the word it fucking stands for has a g like gift so there's really no room for debate.

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

Creator of the format didn't create the English language so his opinion can fuck off.

Except it's a name, and while it's debatable whether names should follow standard pronunciation, there are a million cases where they simply don't.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

@TCK

I dunno man.  I think if I created a word, or I guess a file format extension, and wanted to pronounce it a certain way, I should at the very least should be able to say the way I intended for it to be pronounced, whether correct or not.  We all know English barely follows any real rules as it is, so the whole rules of English argument has trouble standing on its own in my opinion.  So I'd say there's plenty of room for debate :D

Speaking of which, does this thread qualify to be a debate thread?  That wasn't the intention but if it turns into one...

Edited by Skeezix the Cat
ForkSpoonz likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0