Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Proton Map Editor

93 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Lol i didnt know there was a 3rd option

Ohhh those are for alpha v4. I wondered why I couldn't find them anywhere in the released version xD

Yes, there is a third option: the program continues running, but the map either saves completely broken or the program crashes long after the error occurred due to memory corruption.

You won't have to wait for much longer for the next alpha, since I plan on releasing it soon.

I could actually start making delta uploads of the software every time I add something, and you can hope it doesn't make your computer self-aware and murder your family. Of course, due to the 20MB limit for an entire post, I'd have to upload it all off-site. I talked to Tucker933 and he rose the limit to 50MB. I won't have to upload it off-site after all.

Edited by 002
NeX likes this

Updated to alpha 4. Latest changes:

• Removed ability to import tags into tag arrays. It was broken and useless. Please save your tag array as a map and re-open it if you want to. I may later add a button that promotes tag arrays to maps.
  • Added map name and build number editor. It's also possible to see the distribution of data of bitmaps vs. sounds vs. tag data vs. models vs. BSPs. This only applies for internalized data, so if a bitmap/sound/tag isn't internalized, it doesn't count towards its respective data.
  • Added a dependency swapper and also a referencing tags list. Double click on tags in either list to select that tag.
  • You can now open map files with the program.
  • Added an icon. No more boring default icon.
  • Made saving more efficient.

Edit: Fixed a minor bug with the dependency swapper. If you downloaded Build 5, please replace it with Build 6.

Edited by 002
NeX and WaeV like this

i will test this out as soon as i get home!

EDIT:

Tried it out, BAD ASS man, the ability to see the reference tree in both directions even when just simply loaded (vs eschaton expansion of a HUGE map file) was invaluable. I just spent about an hour tooling through my bitmaps looking at sizes, and managed to chew out some redundancies, find some unneeded bitmaps, and even shrink some that were wastefully large. 

So far I've saved >10MB as a whole in the tagset. 

Gracias.

KsqHutE.png

the ability to see the reference tree in both directions even when just simply loaded (vs eschaton expansion of a HUGE map file) was invaluable.

Actually, Proton fully expands the map when opening it, and rebuilds the map when saving it. Huge map files only add a couple more seconds, and that's mostly just copying the entire file to RAM, then saving it to disk. RealBasic/Xojo (the language Eschaton is written in) has nothing on this. :P

Edited by 002
NeX and Quagmirian like this

Actually, Proton fully expands the map when opening it, and rebuilds the map when saving it. Huge map files only add a couple more seconds, and that's mostly just copying the entire file to RAM, then saving it to disk. RealBasic/Xojo (the language Eschaton is written in) has nothing on this. :P

Clearly O_o . I always wondered what the god damned hell took it so long to just copy the whole map into memory

Edited by NeX

KsqHutE.png

I'm going to reupload Proton with the scnr plugin.

Also, using Proton and this plugin, I deleted a reflexive that caused sidewinder's rcon to break when saved by Sparkedit. Special thanks to sehe for telling me what reflexive to delete. Sparkedit's map editing functionality is broken. :/

Sidewinder (Halo PC): sidewinder.zip

Quagmirian, NeX, WaeV and 1 other like this