Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Proton Map Editor

93 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Looks pretty nice. I've been thinking about trying to make some kind of program for Halo in order to teach myself code.

Once you learn how to read a map, the rest is pretty easy.

There are several good languages you can use, and you don't have to use just one language for a project. Proton's map rebuilder is strictly C, while Proton is in C++. The Mac version of Flare uses Objective-C and C. You don't have to be limited to the C's, as WaeV's Quickbeam uses Python and C#, and Eschaton is programmed in REALbasic (don't use REALbasic/Xojo; it costs money and it sucks).

Edit: Proton's map rebuilder is now also in C++.

Edited by 002

I've swapped the video for a new one, importing a pelican and the crashed pelican collision model so I can walk into the pelican.

Later this week, I'm going to start writing a plugin system so there will be a tag editor. Before I do that, I'll release what I have (the tag importer), because I'm not greedy, and I need testing to be done.

New screenshot, by the way.

Edited by 002

This is an alpha. Back up your map before using it. It's intended for testing purposes, so don't complain if your map got destroyed after saving (which I hope does not happen).

Current features:

- Map opening

- Map saving

- Map closing

- Tag extraction

- Tag importation

http://radium.ddns01.com/proton/proton-alpha1/163ea95f20fe4b1040666895fb046486.zip

I was going to ask taxi to test the first alpha, but it doesn't seem like he ever read the message. I usually have him test these things, because I don't want people using my unstable test programs for serious modding.

If any issues arise with a particular map, tell me about the issue and let me download the map. Know that protected maps will NOT work.

Edited by 002

Are you planning on adding deathstar as an integrated feature? That'd be pretty slick. Automatically close the source map, deprotect, then open the clean version once it's finished and saved

Tucker933 likes this

KsqHutE.png

Are you planning on adding deathstar as an integrated feature? That'd be pretty slick. Automatically close the source map, deprotect, then open the clean version once it's finished and saved

That might be possible. It's certainly worth giving a try, but it'll have to be a little later.

Edited by 002
NeX likes this