What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

What it has been like to run Open Carnage

18 posts in this topic

A large part of my childhood was shaped by forums like Halomods and Modhalo, for better or worse. Halomods made me into a rude asshole, while Modhalo seemed to extinguish that. I feel like I'm attached to you people, this forum, and a substantial amount of that attachment is from getting to know everyone. Whether it was from being overtly flamboyant in the chatroom (sorry), or just talking to each of you individually, I valued every second of it. I'll be honest and say, yeah, it might have been because I didn't have any friends near me to talk to. I don't think that diminishes it at all, though.

I also enjoyed helping to make the OC banner, and it was fun to see the change in direction every time someone contributed to it. We started with a dumb tagline, "The classiest forum on the internet", and some of the versions used cheesy photos of cool/classy looking people. I finally went with the "planet" because it reminded me of our place (on the internet?), which is that of a rogue planet, broken off from it's home star, drifting without any cares or worries. I don't remember who picked the font, but if pressed I could find out.

Being able to participate is all that matters to me here, not being an Administrator or a Moderator. Being in any position here really only fulfills a sense of duty and service, and I'm happy to contribute regardless of my place in the staff. I can tell you right now, I wouldn't trade this for anything, and being here with Tucker933 is amorously endearing.

( ˘ ³˘)♥

So many of you made invaluable contributions that got us off the ground, especially you Mars. <3

It has been a fantastic run, and I'm greatly looking forward to the many years ahead of us.

Floofies likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

I'm proud to be a part of this place, it does feel unique and we dont take ourselves too seriously either, by that I mean we're not up our own arses all the time.

LONG LIVE OC! ALL HAIL THE GLORIOUS TUCKER!!

Takka likes this

nicksartthread.jpg

19th person to join the forums

:D

It has been a fantastic run, and I'm greatly looking forward to the many years ahead of us.

I wonder if I'll still be here when I'm 50.

On 9/17/2014 at 1:23 AM, Tucker933 said:

As many of you know, but some don't, I launched Open Carnage after it was decided by the ModHalo administration that the site wasn't worth the maintenance. We needed a better place to hang out than on my shitty Minecraft server, so what better than another forum?

Like most people, I had my own specific ideas about how things should be done, but I knew very little about how to act on them. I didn't know anything about coding, and the operation of any sort of forum software was very new to me. I established a very basic layout for our first sections, but my thought processes were mostly dominated by not wanting to be ModHalo. I wanted to follow any new direction that the community was interested in and could support, but I didn't want to over-saturate them with a million very specific sections.

During the first year, I learned a lot about working with the forum software, and had become fairly decent at editing code, but I still didn't know much about how to run a community. I largely applied my gameplay design philosophy about how the customer isn't always right, and that you generally know what they want more than they do. Which is often true, but there should always be a dialog. I just like having my own ideas, which can be a bit counterproductive.

I also spent that first year getting worked over by my hosting provider for more and more money, because they assured me I didn't have enough resources to support such a site, which turned out to be complete bullshit. We're currently running on a tenth of the server resources that I had with my first provider, yet it's much more responsive and reliable. It just sucked that it took spending over $1k on the old hosting before I figured it out.

During the second year, I had pretty much given up on maintaining game servers for the community, because there just wasn't enough interest or money to support it anymore. I began focusing on expanding and streamlining the site, as well as fixing the many bugs that drove my OCD crazy. Whenever I found a problem that I couldn't resolve (and there were many), it would keep me up at night, and I hated so much the impression that it gave.

Open Carnage has dominated my life ever since I launched it. It's a full-time job and I love it, even though I can never afford it. I'm very proud, and I love all of you who have helped make this place possible, even if just by being here. <3

I would love an updated post now that it's been ~6 years.

Tucker, you and those who have contributed to Open Carnage have every right to be proud of what you've accomplished.

I hope Open Carnage is around for a long time to come. :)

Takka and Enclusion like this

Awwe, thanks =]

I really don't do much like I used to around here. Had gotten very difficult after Discord came around, and then there's other life stuff now. Sorry to say I'm mostly just keeping the lights on these days.

Iggy and Enclusion like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

5 hours ago, Tucker933 said:

Awwe, thanks =]

I really don't do much like I used to around here. Had gotten very difficult after Discord came around, and then there's other life stuff now. Sorry to say I'm mostly just keeping the lights on these days.

That's cool, as long as you've got good people to delegate to :)

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0