Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Kavawuvi

Sprinting

59 posts in this topic

I don't really see the problem here, guys.  Not everything is going to be as polished as a feature that future games were designed to include.

Edited by Skeezix the Cat
Kavawuvi likes this

oVoXWXc.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I don't really see the problem here, guys. Not everything is going to be as polished as a feature that future games were designed to include.

That's right. Scripting can only go so far, as can modding. It's really just a cool trick you can do with SAPP or Phasor for fun. A mod would be better if you wanted to add visual things and stuff. You can't expect scripts to do magic things unless it's server-related, like custom team colors. Edited by 002
Skeezix the Cat and Floofies like this

sprinting is a great feature in a lot of games

I think it's overrated and just promotes the generic run and gun gameplay from COD that everyone seems to be striving towards for some reason.

Floofies likes this

I think it's overrated and just promotes the generic run and gun gameplay from COD that everyone seems to be striving towards for some reason.

It gives you more tactical options, and real people can actually sprint. It makes perfect sense. My only issue was with the implementation based on whats possible with Halo.

KsqHutE.png

It gives you more tactical options, and real people can actually sprint. It makes perfect sense. My only issue was with the implementation based on whats possible with Halo.

The only tactical options i've seen people use it for, is running around the map to melee people. Tbh it removes more strategic elements as it's easier to get into a better position from a bad one than not going into a bad one to begin with. If you want to talk about realism, with the amount of armor you usually wear in games you wouldn't be able to run that fast as most games have "sprinting" set to. Normal walking speed would also be much slower.

Edited by exiled

Someone needs to read the books.

Spartan IIs, without their MJOLNIR armor, can run at approximately 55kmph. Believe it or not, their half-ton suits of armor actually enhance their speed even further.

Yep. Power assisted armor. :)

I'm currently working on a new version of the script and it should be released sometime next week, hopefully.

New stuff:

- You must double tap the forward key to sprint. (suggested by Tucker933, can not be adjusted)

- Strafing will cancel the sprinting effect. (Can be adjusted)

- You take slightly more health damage when sprinting. (Can be adjusted)

By "adjusted", I mean that there is a configuration value for it on the top of the script instead of having to edit the whole thing.

Edited by 002
Skeezix the Cat and NeX like this

Can you not edit the "aiming velocity maximum" located under the camera reflexive in the biped tag once a biped has been created by the engine?

Since you can obviously adjust the speed of the player, and only that player and only temporarily (the reason I emphasize this is player speed is controlled in the globals tag and should apply to all players if that value was being manipulated.), can you not adjust the actual tag-data once a character has been placed?

My advice would be to get rid of the post-sprint tired, get rid of the health crap and everything else. Give the player a 10 second sprint where they can barely turn left or right, and give it a 6-7 second cooldown.

Also, advice if possible, make a halfsecond transition time where the chief slowly gets up to speed. I would go with y=x^2 for your formula or something similar, where y=unit_speed and x=sprint_time

Can you not edit the "aiming velocity maximum" located under the camera reflexive in the biped tag once a biped has been created by the engine?

Since you can obviously adjust the speed of the player, and only that player and only temporarily (the reason I emphasize this is player speed is controlled in the globals tag and should apply to all players if that value was being manipulated.), can you not adjust the actual tag-data once a character has been placed?

I can edit any tag data, but it'll almost always have no effect or a laggy effect unless all players have a similar modification. Worst-case, it crashes all clients. Editing tag data will look like teleporting instead of moving, because each client expects the speed to be stock.

My advice would be to get rid of the post-sprint tired, get rid of the health crap and everything else.Give the player a 10 second sprint where they can barely turn left or right, and give it a 6-7 second cooldown.

There's only so much you can do cascading server-side without having to go client-side, as mentioned earlier in this topic. I'd love to do that, but I can't.

Also, advice if possible, make a halfsecond transition time where the chief slowly gets up to speed. I would go with y=x^2 for your formula or something similar, where y=unit_speed and x=sprint_time

First, I'm horrible at math. Also, I can only edit maximum speed, not acceleration. Sure I can slowly increase the maximum speed, but the player isn't guaranteed to be at maximum speed when they start sprinting, thus this effect would not be seen.

Edited by 002