Kavawuvi

Sprinting

59 posts in this topic

Double tap the forward key to run faster. If you sprint for too long, you will become exhausted and run slower.

The server host can configure:
- Running speed (default speed, tired speed, and sprinting bonus)
- Time until exhausted and time to recover
- Method of renewing energy (stop sprinting, holding still, or no recovery)
- Required energy to begin sprinting
- Admin level required to sprint
- Damage percentage when sprinting (configurable for both health and shield)
- Whether or not to show a sprinting bar (disabled by default)

Disclaimer: This does not work on Oddball or Race game variants. This is due to Halo's engine preventing custom speeds set on these gametypes.

Download (SAPP): sprinting.lua

Floofies and Takka like this

Tiddy-bits:

E is a bit inconvenient... Any way to make it double-tap w? I've seen that done on Phasor.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

E is a bit inconvenient... Any way to make it double-tap w? I've seen that done on Phasor.

Yes, but script timers won't exist until SAPP 8.4, so the only way, currently, is a little messy, because it involves also adding custom commands and looping on them (like old Carnage Bot).

Edited by 002
Floofies and Takka like this

unless there are different animations for sprinting, plus not being able to fire a weapon, harder to make sharp turns, etc, it will always look and feel silly to see someone "skating" across the ground faster than normal.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should

TCK likes this

KsqHutE.png

unless there are different animations for sprinting, plus not being able to fire a weapon, harder to make sharp turns, etc, it will always look and feel silly to see someone "skating" across the ground faster than normal.

Just because it can be done, doesn't mean it should

I don't understand why everything should be like Halo 4.

Edited by 002

I don't understand why everything should be like Halo 4.

Wait what? Adding sprinting in the first place is making it more like Halo 4 than what he's suggesting. Doing what he suggested would only make the sprinting make sense.

NeX likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

Wait what? Adding sprinting in the first place is making it more like Halo 4 than what he's suggesting. Doing what he suggested would only make the sprinting make sense.

This so much

The whole amazing appeal of Halo is the way that it is

Adding features like that just comes out looking sloppy and....weird. Without the balancing measures that other games take to make sprinting a viable tactic in-game, it just becomes "speed x2 whenevs" at no sacrifice. 

Yeah, sure, you could script it so that while you're sprinting you can't shoot or throw grenades, etc, but it still kills the overall feel of movement. It really just...doesn't make sense to do it in any context except for the way that it was done in later halo games. Just because you're moving faster while pressing a button doesn't mean there's a "sprint" feature.

KsqHutE.png

This so much

The whole amazing appeal of Halo is the way that it is

Adding features like that just comes out looking sloppy and....weird. Without the balancing measures that other games take to make sprinting a viable tactic in-game, it just becomes "speed x2 whenevs" at no sacrifice.

Yeah, sure, you could script it so that while you're sprinting you can't shoot or throw grenades, etc, but it still kills the overall feel of movement. It really just...doesn't make sense to do it in any context except for the way that it was done in later halo games. Just because you're moving faster while pressing a button doesn't mean there's a "sprint" feature.

First off, this is wrong. It's not a speed x2. We're not talking about Quake III Arena speeds, more like a slight (but significant) burst of speed.

Also, it does have a drawback to it. As you sprint, you gradually become more and more exhausted. After a set amount of time (default is 20 seconds), you will not be able to sprint anymore, and you will move sluggish, about 60% of your normal speed, making sprinting only useful for short bursts, kind of like how running too much in real life makes you tired.

Oh, and wow, I forgot to document this stuff. All I wrote was that you "sprint", and you guys assumed that it's just 200% speed nonstop. Sorry I didn't write this stuff down.

edit: The video seems to be taking forever to process. It's funny because it's already in H.264 encoding, and it's a 59 second video.

Edited by 002

Detail is important :P

The 2x speed was blatant sarcasm, was just a generalization. The 60% after is neat, but my point is that youll just move along your vector quicker; your character wont move faster, footsteps wont sound faster, visual cues from objects and your first person view will be out of sync.

The concept is fine - sprinting is a great feature in a lot of games. But this is a pale reflection with the limitations it has in this game

Edited by NeX

KsqHutE.png