What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
WaeV

Searching for New Monitor(s), Graphics Card

55 posts in this topic

I would give 3GB serious consideration, and 4GB minor consideration unless you like texture overhauls, in which case definitely moar VRAM. My buddy's 760 plays Crysis 3 at 1080 and I played through the whole game on it. I don't recall ever dipping below 30, but it did go below 40. If you can get a 770 that will fit, that would almost surely be the sweet spot because it will leave with you with a little bit of headroom for other games in the future.

WaeV and Floofies like this

oVoXWXc.png

Tiddy-bits:

@v3nture 900 series actually. Skipping it cause mobile GPU name scheme.

Wait for 900 to drop and buy a 780ti at a discount.

Floofies likes this

I just had a thought-

So-called "4K" resolution is actually 3840x2160, which is exactly four times the size of 1080p (twice as wide, twice as tall). This means that, in theory, I can render intensive games at 1080p and upscale the resolution without making the image blurry -- nearest neighbor scaling would simply use four 4K-pixels for every one 1080p-pixel.

If that actually would work, I can do AoE and desktop things at 4K, giving me loads of screen real estate. Weak graphics engines like Halo's can render at 4K, and intensive engines can render at 1080p and upscale.

I need to research this a bit more, but if it works I can consider getting an even less expensive card than the 770, since 1080p is quite a bit easier to render than 1440p.

Edit: I found a forum post from someone who games this way, and they said it works great!

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/how-does-1080p-native-look-on-a-4k-screen.453913993/#post-494050511

boo, buy the expensive crap.

He is.  He reminds me of me, actually.  Spending a shit ton on the monitor, but not enough true graphics horsepower to push it.  My problem was sploojing on a hyperthreaded processor that I truly do not need and shaving that extra $100 off the GPU budget.  Proooooobably didn't need a $300 motherboard, either.  But hey, I'd do it again because that's what I wanted :P

oVoXWXc.png

boo, buy the expensive crap.

Vicarious spender? :P

Skeez is right, though. 4k monitors with 60Hz IPS panels aren't cheap.

Although, I feel like a 770 might actually do decent at 4k as long as expensive stuff such as anti aliasing is disabled. With such a high pixel density, it might look fine with no AA at all. Or FXAA if I feel I really need it.

Well, I won't pull the trigger until the 900 series launches, but let's consider these two items the tentative purchase.

Dell UP2414Q 3840x2160 23.8" 6ms IPS Monitor

Gigabyte GV-N770OC-4GD GeForce GTX 770 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCIe 3.0 WindForce 3X 450W Video Card

I'm not a fan of the $1250 (before tax!) pricetag, though.

Problemo: 23 inches is waaaaaaay too small for 4k without serious scaling. And nobody likes display scaling.

WaeV likes this

I'm using the 6670 as well, Mars. Posting to confirm that the Radeon 7700 is a decent step up from the 6670 for the same price as you probably paid for the 6670 (or negligible difference).

Edited by The Cereal Killer

Umh7x1l.gif

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0