What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TacticalWirus

Some Engineering

Yo whats up guys, not sure if you know me here haha, i've been out and about for a long time lol
Anyways it's just some random sh** i've done a year ago, thought i'd post it
Quite a shame i havent ever finnished it, but tbh i'm planing to soon

Okay enough with the blam.

So there it is, i like music, music is part of my life, halo was my first game i have ever played, the whole idea of cyborgs, space and technology is something i felt comfortable with, that probably explains need of creating something within that category. So i used to mod halo, was fun and all, and i would still do that now if there would be more people into it, but meanwhile i also thought of making something real, so as mentioned before i made some stuff.

It's complete ghetto stuff but it works lol

That's how it started:

Shot with a potatoe
Later:

10" Sub
1064155_598946976792672_1601044968_o.jpg

Shortly after:
18" Sub

Other1263024_641925162494853_603176604_o.jpg

Another picture of sub above:
1400209_658429510844418_105796011_o.jpg

These thing did work fine, and i believe they still do, one of them is no longer mine, i gave it to a guy who was very interested into it (the first one)
And the other one is in my old flat, i am actually going to finnish it and then i'll update the topic.

More info on it:

All of speakers/subs here were made from scratch, i have ordered magnets and other materials online and done everything myself.
The last sub is actually 1.6kW (obviuosly due materials used it could probably only handle around 800W to my calculations at best)
It is also a DVC (dual voice coil) each coil is 2 ohm independance so depending on your wireing you can have a good kickerd with deeb bass in your car if you own a 2 ohm stable 800W+ per channel amp haha.
The coil obviously was also winded by me, i have used some special adhesive to cure it in my oven, theres how the coil and bigass 5kg magnet looks like:

1292215_641925145828188_1107683800_o.jpg

It's quite massive hah, so yeah i'm very interested in this stuff, but my goal is to make a robot, for which i need money haha, but one day.. haha
Anyways i'll keep this updated with stuff i create if people will be interested into it :)

It's Not Where You From, It's Were You're Going.

Tiddy-bits:

That's pretty badass dude! I sort of want to make one now lol I used to do all sorts of projects like that when I was little.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

That's pretty badass dude! I sort of want to make one now lol I used to do all sorts of projects like that when I was little.

Yeah it's quite awesome to listen to some good beats from a sub you made from scratch, i still enjoy this even if i'm not little any more haha, just of course i'm tempted with higher scale or more complex projects now :)

Joy of creation.

Edited by TacticalWirus

I have thought about trying to make a subwoofer myself in the past but never thought it would be the sort of thing you could just build by hand.  That's awesome!  Any idea what the frequency responses are?  Also, you don't need a dual channel amp for a DVC sub.  So you'd just need a monoblock that can push 800RMS that's one ohm stable or one that can push 800RMS at 4 ohms.

TacticalWirus and DiSiAC like this

oVoXWXc.png

How did you figure out the power handling of this?   Do you have any links to some resources for those seeking more information on speaker building?

If it flies, floats, or fucks, rent it.

I have thought about trying to make a subwoofer myself in the past but never thought it would be the sort of thing you could just build by hand.  That's awesome!  Any idea what the frequency responses are?  Also, you don't need a dual channel amp for a DVC sub.  So you'd just need a monoblock that can push 800RMS that's one ohm stable or one that can push 800RMS at 4 ohms.

True indeed, dvc just provides more wiring options :)

Therefore making most subs more "flexible" for most users.

Plus the frequency response was between ~5Hz and 20+ kHz, but note i did not posses sufficient enough tools to measure close-to-reality figures..

How did you figure out the power handling of this?   Do you have any links to some resources for those seeking more information on speaker building?

Well power handling is being calculated using some physics formulas, alternatively you can use calculators online, I'll post the links below the post.

As well power handling is not only measured by how much the coil itself can handle, but is also usually greatly reduced by surrounding materials used to build a sub woofer, say you have heat sensitive neodymium magnet.. It's known to loose it's magnetic properties if exposed to heat, and it's normal for some sub voice coils to reach temperatures greater than enough to cook chicken.

So it all comes to materials used, how much stress coil can take without deforming, how stiff the suspension is, how precisely the coil is installed within the magnetic gap, as well as how fine the distances are between coil and rod in between the driver. Should go for anything less than a millimetre. (obviously will work with higher figures) but at greater power outputs difference is significant. As well it's important to figure out the best materials to use, having in mind that distortion might greatly increase if say shit cone material is used and/or coil is misplaced within the magnetic gap.

Now to  the promised link:

Boobs

Edit:

To save time and money for all of you who will attempt to make something like this..

I do not want to discourage any of you guys but please note:

It's not a rocket science, but some know how is required before any attempt of making sub, if anyone wants i can include a link to some good info, i'll just have to look it up somewhere in my favorites..

It takes some time, don't expect to finish in 2-3 days even if had all materials straight away.

Those materials do cost, but i believe say a good sub could be done in under 60 dollers or maybe even less.

And making and completing the voice coil and instaling it properly within driver is a pain in the ass, i've been literally setting it up for few days untill i have placed it perfectly.

Other than that it's just too much fun not to try, i'd gratelly advise to start with a small speaker so that you could learn from your own mistakes and would get some required experians and knowledge before starting a big project.

Edited by TacticalWirus
Skeezix the Cat likes this

You could theoretically improve the power handling slightly by designing a sub with more excursion, because the more the cone moves, the more air flow is drawn in that cools the internals.  Or at least, this could be a bottleneck to power handling if you have too little excursion.

Edited by Skeezix the Cat
TacticalWirus and Floofies like this

oVoXWXc.png

You could theoretically improve the power handling slightly by designing a sub with more excursion, because the more the cone moves, the more air flow is drawn in that cools the internals.  Or at least, this could be a bottleneck to power handling if you have too little excursion.

That is right but for a big sub i'd rather have a driver with less excursion cos i believe i'd get shitloads of distortion if i had heavy cone with great surface area, therefore air pressure will affect it greatly. Another aproach is actually incorporating an aluminium heatsink in between two stacked magnets. Which means high excursion is not required for sufficient cooling, that means stiffer suspension, which leads to clear bass and deep tones.

Edit:

Obviously you aren't likelly to find such design of heatsink online and available to buy..

Therefore some advanced tools would be required to build it.

Edited by TacticalWirus

Could you make the heat sink from layers of aluminum sheet cut to shape then stacked vertically? That's how I've always done it for DIY projects.

PfXuCLa.png

Could you make the heat sink from layers of aluminum sheet cut to shape then stacked vertically? That's how I've always done it for DIY projects.

Yeah of course, but i'd need some tools i don't have atm :) Tho that wouldn't be perfect in any way, as it's better if it's solid piece. How much better? Would need to do some research..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0