Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShikuTeshi

AirStream and MX Player for Android

This is an app used for Android which allows you to access your media files from your computer or any attached drives. Along with MX Player and an HTC One M8 (really just front facing speakers) it's pretty damn useful for me on multiple occasions.

First off, my reason for using was that my computer is now being occupied by my sister so she can play Left 4 Dead 2 a lot, or I'm running computer care programs which take fucking forever. And then I really have nothing to do besides what Youtube, Twitch, and Anime online. But lets face it, I love anime, and streaming online from free services is pretty shit. I download all my animes in HD and store them on an external Hard Drive with USB 3.0, but I cant access that with my phone. Thus AirStream has come into play.

AirStream is a free App from the Google Playstore (not sure about IOS) along with a free software required to be installed on the computer. It's really as simple as installing the program on your android and computer, creating an account from your phone (cant be done from computer) logging into both phone and computer then accessing your computer files.

Since my media is stored on a different drive, It doesn't interfere with my main drive speed which holds everything else.

Now I watch anime, most of them I've downloaded in MKV format with multi language and the default player on Android can't switch between those. This led me to download MX Player which can easily switch between audio language and subtitles. Just hit the chat bubble or music note in the top left corner of the app and switch. There's also other settings which I never touch because it's been working perfectly for me so far. It also includes some shortcuts which most may find annoying such as swipe up and down the screen to change volume quickly. Swipe left or right to skip forward or rewind.

This is a really great combo, there are a couple downsides I run into. One is the buffer time, so I can't freely skip as far forward as I want too. There are also some ridiculous freezes on the buffer, and requires me to back out and replay from AirStream. Luckily it can start back from previous location and the buffering continues.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.