Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Weps

World Conflict Thread

280 posts in this topic

Mars, you're blending everything I've said together.

All you said was, "why don't you back up your own argument?" leaving me to presume you meant the most recent information I'd given which was that humans operate on a whim; and THAT was the point which I said I didn't bother providing evidence for because I didn't believe anyone would try to dispute it, as we all know it to be true (and apparently I was correct in thinking that, based on your reaction to the sources I posted). Yet you insist on separating that comment from its point in order to stick it wherever would make me appear the most foolish; and moreover, you applied it to the overarching debate, not to one of the smaller points at the same level as the point from which you took it. That line of thinking is volatile.

Backing further up, the reason I mentioned it was because you had said that the only genes that affected behavior were ones that determined "stress tolerance" and "the brain's structure and activity/stimulation levels" which you had prefaced by saying that humans are far different from dogs in that genes don't affect our behavior nearly at all. My point was that those things very easily and heavily factor into decisions we make.

As far as similar genes being passed on within groups of animals living in the same area over long periods of time, do you want me to cite something describing and documenting evolution?

One is even described as "racist trash", which sounds great for you to read... maybe I jumped the gun in expecting you to value the scientific process...

Ad hominem, or outright spite? They aren't mutually exclusive. Your hate for those in disagreement with you confuses me, as it always has.

the fact that no one really needs to prove a negative before the positive assertion is proven

Then, again, I'm at a loss as to why you made this statement:

Such changes are easily observed and tested, which easily reveals they have nothing to do with ethnicity.

That is, based on what you've just said, untrue. A presumed negative in absence of a proven positive is entirely different than the above statement; which means the statement is entirely made up. You do understand that I would not have asked you to provide the studies if you hadn't made that statement, correct?

Lastly, it seems as though you're trying to push me into taking a far firmer stance than I originally took (which I suspect is the result of the emotion you're allowing to get involved). You've said I asserted that ethnicity was responsible for differing behavioral tendencies, when in fact I only made a statement of the plausibility of that being so; far different concepts.

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

In other news, what is the likelihood of Israel and its neighbors going to war? I'm sure Israel killing an Iranian official just puts the gears in motion for all out regional conflict in the Middle East, on top of ISIS and the Syrian conflict already ongoing.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2015/01/19/378394711/suspected-israeli-strike-kills-iranian-general-advising-syrian-troops

Grumpy UNIX and Cloud Administrator | 90's Boomer

Israeli still maintains the upper hand. Experienced and trained (Western equivalent of training) personnel with a excellent logistic and supply training of domestically produced materiel. They known how to use indirect fire support almost as well as US Forces (see the Battle of Ia Drang Valley for reference material regarding textbook use of indirect fire support by US Forces), as well as an extremely competent rotary and fixed wing air force. The ace on the hole for them is their retention of thermonuclear weapons, commonly referred to as the "Jericho Option". 

Iran is the only nation in the region to come close to Israel as far as it's manpower, materiel strengths, and logistic capabilities. Iran produces quite a few of it's weapons systems domestically and they have a very strong relationship with Russia in the arms market. It also maintains a complemented air force, to include US prodcued F-14s, F-4s, and F-5s, as well as Russian produced MiG-29s, Chinese produced F-7s and French produced F-1s. 

They also maintain a significant tactical and strategic airlift capability through the use of US produced C-130s, Russian produced Il-76s and An-74s, and Chinese produced Y-7s. 

They also maintain a fleet of aerial in-flight tankers, US produced 707's and 747's. 

Israeli still maintains the upper hand. Experienced and trained (Western equivalent of training) personnel with a excellent logistic and supply training of domestically produced materiel. They known how to use indirect fire support almost as well as US Forces (see the Battle of Ia Drang Valley for reference material regarding textbook use of indirect fire support by US Forces), as well as an extremely competent rotary and fixed wing air force. The ace on the hole for them is their retention of thermonuclear weapons, commonly referred to as the "Jericho Option". 

Iran is the only nation in the region to come close to Israel as far as it's manpower, materiel strengths, and logistic capabilities. Iran produces quite a few of it's weapons systems domestically and they have a very strong relationship with Russia in the arms market. It also maintains a complemented air force, to include US prodcued F-14s, F-4s, and F-5s, as well as Russian produced MiG-29s, Chinese produced F-7s and French produced F-1s. 

They also maintain a significant tactical and strategic airlift capability through the use of US produced C-130s, Russian produced Il-76s and An-74s, and Chinese produced Y-7s. 

They also maintain a fleet of aerial in-flight tankers, US produced 707's and 747's.

As far as regional conflict is concerned, those odds are turned around tremendously when the middle east as a whole has its guns turned at Israel. I don't think the question is if, I think it's when? As it stands, Israel has managed to piss off everyone in the middle east community with their territorial disputes, geopolitics and military dick waving.

I understand Hamas attacks are a problem, but flying into countries like Jordan and Syria and air striking targets is like kicking a fire ant hill.

Grumpy UNIX and Cloud Administrator | 90's Boomer

As far as regional conflict is concerned, those odds are turned around tremendously when the middle east as a whole has its guns turned at Israel. I don't think the question is if, I think it's when? As it stands, Israel has managed to piss off everyone in the middle east community with their territorial disputes, geopolitics and military dick waving.

I understand Hamas attacks are a problem, but flying into countries like Jordan and Syria and air striking targets is like kicking a fire ant hill.

In a conventional measurement of materiel and manpower, the numbers are certainly lopsided in the favor of Arab nations. However, based on the regional conflict history, in particular the Six Day War and Yom Kippur War, Israel is far more capable than any combination of it's Arab counterparts. 

(Israel is also not alone in bombing of targets in Jordan or Syria, the US has done it multiple times in the past and of recent)

During the Yom Kippur War, the Golan Heights saw the Battle of the Valley of Tears; two Israeli armored brigades (using M48 Magach and Sho't tanks with mixed crews, nor anti-infantry weapons, and without calibrated main guns) supported by eleven artillery batteries against five Syrian divisions (three infantry, two armored), supported by 188 artillery batteries, 100 combat aircraft, anti-aircraft batteries, and engineering companies to overcome Israeli anti-tank obstacles and minefields. 

The Syrians suffered enormous causalities and losses due to superb Israeli tank gunners at long range tank gunnery (compliments of US Armored Corps Gunnery Training) and the use of indirect support in danger close scenarios, as well as the Syrian forces unwillingness to leave their SAM batteries coverage areas, which was then circumvented by Israeli pilots by flying low in over Jordanian airspace, penetrating Syrian air defense networks and raping Syrian armored columns with mixed conventional munitions and napalm. 

What is significant about these conflicts in not only Israels small size compared to the attacking Arab forces, but that defense of fixed fortifications is normally a failed tactical measure against overwhelming offensive forces, especially when those forces retain air support and indirect support capabilities.

xvii and Solaris like this

Fucking lol, I meant to reply to this back when you posted it. So what do you think, true or propaganda?

I'd like to see an assessment of our leaders. 

EDIT:

Speaking of the Battle of Ia Drang Valley (some may have seen "We Where Soldiers", which is what the movie is based upon) and the expert use of air support and indirect fire support; 

To give a little back story, the battle was between the United States Army's 1st Cavalry Division, 1st & 2nd Battalions of 7th Cavalry Regiment and 2nd Battalion of 5th Calgary Regiment against the National Vietnamese Army's 33rd Regiments, 1st Battalion and 3rd Battalion, the 66th Regiments, 7th Battalion, 8th Battalion and 9th Battalion and the Viet Cong (NLF) H15 Battalion.

The movie centers on the first day of the battle involving elements of 1st Battalion, 7th Cavalry Regiment (1st-7th) under the command of Ltc. Harold Moore around LZ X-Ray (Landing Zone). 

This is the scene where "Broke Arrow" is declared, which was an actual contingency plan in the event of an American unit being overrun. When "Broken Arrow" was declare, every combat aircraft in the country was divert to and ordered to drop its ordnance on the provided coordinated of the unit in trouble.   

You'll hear Charlie Hastings, Moore's radio operator inform him they have "aircraft stacked at every thousand feet, from seven to thirty-five thousand". This is a motherfucking ton of aircraft, we're talking at minimum twenty-nine separate sorties ready to drop their loads. This is a testament to the power the US Military can bring to bare.

You'll see lots of Napalm, which is EXTREMELY effective, especially against infantry and lighter skinned vehicles. Napalm is a thickened gelling agent mixed with petroleum, it sticks to anything it touches and is near impossible to extinguish. 

--------

This scene is of 2nd Platoon from 1st Battalion, the platoon has been separated from 1st Platoon and the rest of the battalion, the platoon commander 2nd Lt. Henry Herrick and platoon sergeant are killed during an attack, leaving a Squad Leader, Sgt. Ernie Savage in command of the 2nd Platoon. 

Because of Savage's leadership and tactical prowess, the surviving members of 2nd Platoon made it through the battle. US artillery during the war was "on call", meaning if in range a unit could call on continuous artillery support. Savage made excellent use of artillery, using it as a shield against attacking NVA Forces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTWDaiCg7Zw#t=167

The Battle of Ia Drang Valley was a decisive victory for the US Military in Vietnam. This victory was due to the superb leadership and tactical action of LTC Harold Moore, SGM Basil Plumley, and the Command, Officers and NCOs of 1st and 2nd Battalion, 7th Cavalry and the Command, Officers, and NCOs of 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry.

xvii, Solaris and TCK like this

Russian - Ukraine Conflcit

---------------------------------------

Heavy shelling of Luhansk today;

Mid-East ISIS

-------------------------------------

ISIS has captured al-Baghdadi:

http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/02/12/mideast-crisis-iraq-anbar-idINKBN0LG22G20150212

**Unconfirmed reports that ISIS has also captured nearby al-Asad Air Base, where 300 US Marines are stationed. 

Mid-East Iran/Yemen

-------------------------------------

US State Department orders US Marines Security Forces - Yemen, to disarm and render inoperable their service weapons and crew served weapons at the embassy. Evacuation/relocation of US Consulate in Yemen under day. US Marines transported out of Yemen via commercial flights.  

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2015/feb/11/yemen-houthi-rebels-seize-us-marines-weapons/

Russian-Ukraine Update

----------------------------------------

Headlines Today:

- Ceasefire in Ukraine to Begin Midnight February 15

- Ukraine Ceasefire Deal Agreed.
After Negotiations All-Nighter; Doubts Remain About Its Implementation

- Ukraine gets new bailout deal from IMF

- Heavy Artillery Withdrawal in Donbas Should Be Completed Within Two Weeks

- Making Ukraine a NATO Member Almost Puts USA at War With Russia - McCaul

- Moldovan Parliament fails to approve pro-Europe government 

- Minsk 2.0 Bound for Failure 

- Heavy fighting under way outside Mariupol - Ukrainian Gov't Forces

- Ukraine battles persist ahead of cease-fire deadline

- Russia says it will not release key Ukrainian prisoner

- Ukrainian foreign minister denies any constitutional reform, decentralization liabilities

Videos
--------------------------------

Poroshenko (Ukraine's President) Comments on Ceasefire, Admitting Why It Was Established  (English subs);

Commentary on Russia's Invasion Capabilities Of Europe;

More footage on Luhansk heavy artillery barrage (*VERY LOUD):

WaeV likes this