Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Weps

World Conflict Thread

280 posts in this topic

I didn't even know about this thread back when it was being discussed but I'll just leave this here.

anti-semitic hardon

ZP5sFbC.png

Edited by TCK
Sceny and Solaris like this

Umh7x1l.gif

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I didn't even know about this thread back when it was being discussed but I'll just leave this here.

ZP5sFbC.png

I got a chuckle out of Israel with the broom.

On a more serious note, I think that jumping to calling someone racist is one of the bigger problems with our society. Questioning the aid of Israel and questioning the excuse of Israel's actions based on the death of Jews in the past is not racist (his post might have been aggressive, but it's DH, all his political posts are aggressive). It's actually quite dangerous to be so flippant with the accusation of anti-Semitism especially, considering how many powerful corporations are owned by Jews; if we're not allowed to question corporations, we have an enormous problem on our hands.

Umh7x1l.gif

On a more serious note, I think that jumping to calling someone racist is one of the bigger problems with our society. Questioning the aid of Israel and questioning the excuse of Israel's actions based on the death of Jews in the past is not racist (his post might have been aggressive, but it's DH, all his political posts are aggressive). It's actually quite dangerous to be so flippant with the accusation of anti-Semitism especially, considering how many powerful corporations are owned by Jews; if we're not allowed to question corporations, we have an enormous problem on our hands.

I don't think DH is a racist, nor do I think that connotation applies to this. He has a right to an opinion, just like everyone. 

I have a right to voice my distaste with his opinion and against the argument being presented. 

Anti-semitism defined by Webster; "prejudice against, hatred of, or discrimination against Jews as a national, ethnic, religious or racial group."

I'd consider his stance to be anti-Semitic, which doesn't make him a racist.

Most people make the argument that the Jews kicked out the Palestinians and have beaten them like a dog ever since. That couldn't be further from the truth.

There is an entire history of the region, it's been controlled by everyone and his brother. Israel has just as much right to the land as anyone else, but Israel is willing to put the chips on the table that it needs to hold on to the land. 

I'm not going to argue it, I'm going to stay neutral to the information for the sake of the community. 

xvii likes this

I understand what you're saying, though discussing the contexts in which anti-Semitism may or may not be a form of racism is sort of beating around the bush of what I was getting at. I just wanted to point out that you can disapprove of Isreal without being anti-Semitic, and you can scoff at the constant use of reported holocaust deaths as an excuse for Jews' behavior without being anti-Semitic. Labeling his stance anti-Semitic implies that the reason for such a stance is because they are Jews and he opposes them because he wants to oppose Jews.

It's important for me to make this clear because when identity politics start being seen as credible, logic is thrown to the wind. Sadly the mainstream is featuring more and more.

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

I understand what you're saying, though discussing the contexts in which anti-Semitism may or may not be a form of racism is sort of beating around the bush of what I was getting at. I just wanted to point out that you can disapprove of Isreal without being anti-Semitic, and you can scoff at the constant use of reported holocaust deaths as an excuse for Jews' behavior without being anti-Semitic. Labeling his stance anti-Semitic implies that the reason for such a stance is because they are Jews and he opposes them because he wants to oppose Jews.

It's important for me to make this clear because when identity politics start being seen as credible, logic is thrown to the wind. Sadly the mainstream is featuring more and more.

Of course you can, I myself disapprove of many things that various nations do. However, DH wasn't just judging actions, he was judging the people and their heritage. He was on them because they were Jews, or did you not read what I read. 

Some of my favorites;

Fuck Israel, they're scumbags.

The whole country is filled with a bunch of holier-than-thou assholes who's only interest is bombing everybody around them, all so that they can stay in a place that they don't belong in anyway.

I don't care how many Jews were killed by Hitler, it actually wasn't even a lot.

See, the funny thing is, the "reported" Holocaust deaths isn't some random number generated by media. It's a quantified amount of human carnage, that was confirmed by the US Military. 

If he's so opposed to what occurred, why isn't he vocal about Rhodesia, or Ukraine, or any other historical account where a people was forced out from their land? Why is it just Israel that doesn't "belong"? Does Zimbabwe have a more legitimate right to exist? What about the US? Or Britain? Australia? 

Words have meaning TCK and once we speak them, we can not only not take them back, but our intentions are broadcast to those around us. 

I'm done discussing it. 

xvii likes this

Okay listen. All I'm saying is this: with modern media being the way it is, it's important to (in your mind) replace any race or group identity of people with "white/European" and consider how it would sound before you conclude the person is basing their criticism on the group's heritage or skin color.

The only reason I mentioned it is because if someone had said the same things about the United States, nobody would even think to call them anti-white, despite the US being currently about 68% non-Hispanic white and historically far higher. "Fuck the US, they're scumbags etc." would simply be seen as criticism of a country. It's not even far off from what plenty of people actually say in public.

And funnily enough, based on the official count then Germany killed about as many whites as Jews even before counting deaths from conflict (which would put the count far higher at several tens of millions). Yet saying, "I don't care how many whites were killed by Hitler, it actually wasn't even a lot," wouldn't even get a reaction out of most people.

Off topic, but you mentioned you didn't think the number was skewed by the media; here's a newspaper clipping from just after World War One:

Originally posted by Felix M. Warburg, New York Times, November 12th, 1919

The Jews were the worst sufferers in the war. The successive blows of contending armies have all but broken the back of European Jewry and have reduced to tragically unbelievable poverty, starvation and disease about 6,000,000 souls, or half the Jewish population of the earth.

Six million Jews reported dead in 1919. What an absolutely astounding, amazing, mind-blowing coincidence.

I'm by no means a holocaust denier, but... question everything, Weps.

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif

Okay listen. All I'm saying is this: with modern media being the way it is, it's important to (in your mind) replace any race or group identity of people with "white/European" and consider how it would sound before you conclude the person is basing their criticism on the group's heritage or skin color.

The only reason I mentioned it is because if someone had said the same things about the United States, nobody would even think to call them anti-white, despite the US being currently about 68% non-Hispanic white and historically far higher. "Fuck the US, they're scumbags etc." would simply be seen as criticism of a country. It's not even far off from what plenty of people actually say in public.

And funnily enough, based on the official count then Germany killed about as many whites as Jews even before counting deaths from conflict (which would put the count far higher at several tens of millions). Yet saying, "I don't care how many whites were killed by Hitler, it actually wasn't even a lot," wouldn't even get a reaction out of most people.

Off topic, but you mentioned you didn't think the number was skewed by the media; here's a newspaper clipping from just after World War One:

Six million Jews reported dead in 1919. What an absolutely astounding, amazing, mind-blowing coincidence.

I'm by no means a holocaust denier, but... question everything, Weps.

Seeing as how "White/European" is a vague describer of an entire region that lends no credence to a specific historical event. 

Had DH said "Brown/Mid-Eastern", you'd have an argument, but he didn't he name a specific ethnic group and specific nation-state, it wasn't a generalized distaste for a region, it was directed toward a specific country and ethno-religious group. 

If DH had said something along the lines of, "Fuck Russia, they're scumbags" it'd be different, but he didn't. He said something along the lines of "Fuck Chechnya, they're scumbags".

It'd be an issue if the US was 68% Irish Catholics, 68% Russian Orthodox, 68% Polish Roman Catholics, ect..., but it's not. That 68% is made up of a HUGE variety of ethnic whites. Just like it's made up a huge variety of ethnic groups from each race.

Yes he killed millions, except the Jews are the only group outside of the socially "undesirable" and the mentally/physically disabled that he trapped in ghettos, forced into camps, then slaughtered simply because of their ethnicity/religion. Gypsies, homosexuals, the mentally/physically disable aren't ethno-religious groups, they're social groups. 

A single news article doesn't constitute a conspiracy, the word "about" is an approximate, not a definitive. 

It's also interesting how when Jewish people are mentioned, it somehow automatically constitutes an ethnic Jew, not a religious Jew that identifies under a different nationality. 

Ever stop to consider the article wasn't differentiating between ethnic Jews and religious Jews that identify as a different ethnicity? 

Question everything, TCK, but also apply logic and reason

xvii likes this

I'll keep it short so we don't have to keep going back and forth. In the United States, white is largely considered a single race, because European origins have blended together. Even so, it really wouldn't be a different reaction at all if he'd said, "fuck Ireland, they're scumbags," and then talked about the IRA. Nobody would immediately think he meant because the people were Irish.

Also it's more than a single news article, I just found a really concise one to post. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy but it's worth noting that the media has plenty of influence in everything.

Edited by TCK

Umh7x1l.gif