What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pong

How I got a job as a front end web developer with no degree

Tiddy-bits:

Thats one of those stories that gives me hope for the future :P

Or no hope. Depends on the angle you view it from.

NeX likes this

Or no hope. Depends on the angle you view it from.

Well I would hope that with moderate experience and no degree having a shot at what sounds to be a stable gig, when I eventually have a degree, and some experience, I'll be more than likely to snag one. I don't have to love what I do - I just need to not hate it, and have it feed me so I can pursue my own hobbies. I would love to land that dream job, but I'm a realist.

KsqHutE.png

I promise you someone with a better portfolio and on-site experience and no degree will grab the job over someone who has a meh portfolio, but a 4.0 GPA and honors, clubs, etc. GPAs in tech aren't indicative of job performance for some reason. 

THAT SAID

I'm not saying I'm new to dev. I know HTML/CSS/PHP/Rails/Django as it is. I also know Bootstrap and Foundation, and work well with Git, Grunt, Bower, and Jekyll frameworks/extensions. I also know how to work hard and pace myself. I was just never ever employed by anyone other than myself, and that is the definition of experience when you submit a resumé.

All I'm saying is that it's ENTIRELY possible for you to be a well paid developer by cramming and teaching yourself, but the advantage that school gives you is teaching you PROPERLY (generally) and how to pace yourself, work under a deadline, collaborate, etc. This is why the school experience is important. If you do want to teach yourself, it's time management, learning properly, and working hard by yourself while not procrastinating. The reason you don't see people taking this as the default path is because I think it's much harder in some ways.

If you'd like to know what I recommend you learn and how to learn it, I can probably write something up. 

Edited by pong

PWccHNo.png

I plan on working here for a year to two so I can come back to employment opportunities. I have the money saved up to go now, but I'm taking an "insurance" of sorts.

Krazychic likes this

PWccHNo.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0