Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Kavawuvi

Team-based bipeds

34 posts in this topic

Eh, ill just throw in a flat panel of scenery far below or above the map, and be able to do it there. It shouldn't require actual BSP space as long as there's a solid object to keep anyone from falling through

You can't spawn anything outside of the BSP.

Kavawuvi and DeadHamster like this

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

If you wanted covenant first person models, such as covenant hands, then the covenant weapons tag >> first person model would need editing.  Using teh lags multi-permu elites, when I setup the weapons, I needed to edit fp projectile offsets due to height differences with the mc.  You could also add a covenant hud for those weapons.  You would not have to edit the fp models of course, leave them alone, all stock weapons would be fine - you would be fine all except for melee and grenade toss would sync. (Elite melee 3rd person anim is swifter, & nade toss is slower/delayed)

As for the damage, phasor allows you to edit the damage applied - with little effort, you can balance each covenant weapon against its human counterpart weapon.

All this seems too much editing for a pc map, and it seems it was intended as proof of concept anyway - however, it would be easier in CE - then use the team specific biped script (phasor), or a bump possession hsc script compiled into the map.  Spv3 cmt campaign maps - set bump possession to true in devmode, then go bump into one of them elites or brutes - you will take over their biped, weapon, hud, team, etc, etc - as well as they will not attack you since you are now on their team - but pause/don't move - the air script will resume and move the biped.   While it might seem difficult, you could make bump possession true if the player is in a spawn area, or even trigger volume, and false everywhere else.  Then there would be no need to edit hud and weapons, first person, etc - only the need to ensure weapon spawns for both teams are balanced thoughout the map.  You might need to add elite markers to vehicles, flag/oddball to ensure they can use them.

I would say, get on it - as it would not only be a proof of concept, it would also be an awesome feature.  The dual permu (cyborg/elite) that someone made was good, but animations we very similar, and there are only so many anim units you can add before it gets very complex.   Im not sure about OS, but I bet there is a way to add another biped to the multiplayer globals default, either by OS hek, or by script or both.

Good suggestions

As for outside the BSP, no shit. Cmon did you seriously think that's what I meant xD the bsps for even the small maps are decently large, and all that's required to spawn is the ground point being inside. Anyway, I'm going to be done with rev (or at least finished) around end of august, so I doubt ill attempt any of this. Making an entire second HUD is work enough, let alone messing with all of the problems that bump possession alots for movement. Even the playable elite tags would require a lot of tweaking to fit the style I have so far. If I find myself with an extra month I may give it a shot with a stock map as a learning experience.

KsqHutE.png

As for the damage, phasor allows you to edit the damage applied - with little effort, you can balance each covenant weapon against its human counterpart weapon.

I didn't say there was anything wrong with the damage of covenant weapons. The damage, I think, is pretty good on Covenant weapons. EMPs, extra shield damage, and supercombines are all totally awesome. Bungie intended all players to use any weapon on the field, so the weapons are already balanced damage-wise (except the pistol), which is why the Arbiter can use any weapon the Master Chief can use (and vise versa) in Halo 2 and later.

The balancing issue is that: Humans have sniper rifles and the 3 shot killer pistol. The Covenant do not, and they don't get a heavy weapon on classic gametypes, either. I can edit the damage all I want, but no damage is done if the projectile doesn't hit.

Edited by 002

Is there any way to succesfully change the collision model using this method, or will that guarantee an exception? The animations seem to work, it's only the collision that doesn't want to register

KsqHutE.png