Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Deathstar Map Deprotector

19 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

This couldn't have come out sooner. Great job, dude!

Kavawuvi likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

OS X version should now (hopefully) work on as early as OS X 10.6 now. Before, it would only work on as early as 10.8.

Takka likes this

Is there any documentation anywhere that identifies the tags themselves, i.e., weapons\tag_473 = pistol?

that second number isn't an ID, it's the tag number. It'll change in every map, each map is a list of tags, that number is the position in the list. You have to kinda guess and check to figure it out, best bet is to pick a tag that seems it, and try to follow it down to the bitmaps.

NeX, Kavawuvi and Takka like this

Is there any documentation anywhere that identifies the tags themselves, i.e., weapons\tag_473 = pistol?

It's impossible to recover tag names once they've been deleted, with the exception of unmodified tags that are available to the public unprotected. In that case, you should just use those tags, instead. I guess you could use animation names, but those are ambiguous (assault rifle could also be gravity rifle, etc.). Once a map is rebuilt, you can no longer trust the tag number.

I should probably be more specific and say that's the pistol tag in Blood Gulch.

Edited by 002

You have to kinda guess and check to figure it out, best bet is to pick a tag that seems it, and try to follow it down to the bitmaps.

Actually, while this method is the most common, the simplest I've found is to first see if the .scenario tag (tag_0.scenario usually) is corrupted, or if you can open it in Sapien/A Hobo. Probably will crash sapien variant, but if you can open the scenario, you can spawn a .weapon object (not netgame equipment through a .item_collection tag), and then go to your properties window and cycle through all of them to quickly asses what they are based on how they render.

If deprotection did break the scenario, just open the tutorial (or whatever) .scenario in sapien, go to weapons/bipeds/scenery or whatever type the tag is that you're searching for, and then hit "edit types". In the file explorer, browse to the deathstar subfolder of the newly unprotected map, and select EVERY instance of that tag type. If it's scenery, and there's about 35 .scenery tags, add them all. Then place one in a well-lit area, and in the same properties window just cycle through. It will let you physically see them, and this method takes MUCH less time than going from .scenery -> .gbxmodel -> .shader_model -> .bitmap, especially when sometimes a helpful diffuse map is a few shaders down in the gbxmodel references. You can wind up going pretty deep down a rabbit hole just to find out that it's not what you're looking for.

Edited by NeX
WaeV and Ryx like this

KsqHutE.png

Is the tag different in different stock maps?

Slightly. The tag ID of the tag will vary because a map will have a varied number of tags. Pointers will vary, as well as tag IDs inside of the tag data for dependencies. For model tags, it will vary on their data offsets in the model data region of the map.

Edited by 002

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0