What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greyham_666

HaloCE 1.10 & OpenSauce

So i foolishly updated my install of HaloCE to 1.10, relishing the new fixes, but mainly the option to run the thing in 1080p without buggering around with vidmode setting like i usually do. Silly old me didnt think that this would break OS compatibility, which i enjoy having simply to have the option of replaying CMT's SPV3 Truth and Reconciliation when i feel like. Having read "Our 2014 release is currently (as of 2014-04) in closed development, to be reopened (under the MIT license) after launch" from OS's GoogleCode page, am i to gather that their 2014 release will garner support for 1.10? Or will i have to forgo the fixes for the sake of graphical erhmehgerd-ness(CMT), or is there some way around the version check that will allow me to run OpenSauce with HaloCE 1.10. Also, will HAC2 still run on 1.09, if i choose not to update? Or will i have to go with one of the following:

HaloCE 1.09+OS+HAC2 (Pretty sure this is what i had working before i screwed up my install with the update)

HaloCE 1.09+OS

HaloCE 1.10+HAC2

Much confuse :/

Tiddy-bits:

OpenSauce isn't so actively discussed on this forum, but you might check out Modacity.

For what it's worth, I remember seeing that "Our 2014 release..." notice since before the 1.10 patch was announced.

Korn will probably have this fixed soon. OpenSauce is actively developed.

greyham_666 likes this

Well, if you want to actually play the game with other people after GameSpy goes down, you're going to need 1.10 and HAC2 supports that. If I were you, I'd keep with HAC2/1.10 for now until OS updates. Saying that the 1.10 patch "screwed up your install", which is an update that's vital to keeping the game alive, just because one extension you use is incompatible with it is a little silly.

If you're really desperate for OS, you can make a separate install for it with 1.09.

Sceny, greyham_666 and Takka like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

Well, if you want to actually play the game with other people after GameSpy goes down, you're going to need 1.10 and HAC2 supports that. If I were you, I'd keep with HAC2/1.10 for now until OS updates. Saying that the 1.10 patch "screwed up your install", which is an update that's vital to keeping the game alive, just because one extension you use is incompatible with it is a little silly.

If you're really desperate for OS, you can make a separate install for it with 1.09.

I only meant 'screwed up' in the sense, that i could no longer launch halo, as OS requires v1.09. I'm well aware of the changes 1.10 brings to the party and how far they going to to 'keeping the game alive'.  But thanks for the feedback, i hadn't thought if running a second install :)

OpenSauce isn't so actively discussed on this forum, but you might check out Modacity.

For what it's worth, I remember seeing that "Our 2014 release..." notice since before the 1.10 patch was announced.

Korn will probably have this fixed soon. OpenSauce is actively developed.

Ok, thanks, i was unaware of this. i often browse modacity, but i haven't gotten round to making an account yet :P. As far as active dev goes, i had a look at the HAC2 dev website (which seems to be pretty active atm) and it turns out that yes, HAC2 is currently incompatible with OS. At this point i think i will just wait and see what updates from either side will bring. Shouldn't do me any harm, considering i have mid-year exams in a few weeks :P

Pfhunkie likes this

can anyone confirm if a fov tool works with the latest patch?

What about opening maps in hmt or eschaton?

edit- does anyone have a fov changer?

Edited by v3nture

HAC2 is currently incompatible with OS.

They're compatible again now. Just a heads up.

can anyone confirm if a fov tool works with the latest patch?

HAC2 works and it has an FoV changer. Get it here.

Edit: Just as an update, OS won't be updating to the newest version of Halo.

Read here to see Kornman give his explanation

greyham_666 likes this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - Kavawuvi

"Fuck off." - Mint Blitz

You want to know something funny?

The same build machine with the same compiler which Roger has been using for years now for patching this game, all of a sudden realized multiple optimizations it could make in the code. These optimizations are actually a headache for upgrading OS to 1.10 because it's not only shifted code and data around in varying degrees, but also caused some code to be inlined further than it once was before. I'm having to rewrite some of our hooks to deal with these asm code changes, on top of tracking down and validating shifts in data (eg, the pointer for the actors array shifted by over 800 bytes, but other data of various nature may have only shifted by 32 bytes).

Even if we used signatures of assembly code to find the the code/data we needed to hook/reference, chances are the new optimizations would have rendered these signatures incompatible.

So who can we blame? Microsoft. Give us the source and tags, jerks!

TL;DR: It's possible that 1.10 runs better on older, slower machines than 1.09. When it comes to CPU-bound things anyway.

What a bummer. It doesn't sound as if he's written the whole task off, though -- merely that it's going to take a while.

Pfhunkie likes this

They're compatible again now. Just a heads up.

HAC2 works and it has an FoV changer. Get it here.

Yea i've been keeping a closer eye on HAC2 lately, so saw that it was updated.

Regarding OS, i can appreciate not making the move to 1.10 ever, given that 1.09 is what he's been working with and is nearly bug free. i know the pain of trying to implement what works in an older version of something on a slightly newer version :/

I'll probably end up running multiple installs for different purposes.

That said i love the idea of being able to set up 1080p ingame rather than through

-vidmode arguments, also ingame 4K res + downsampling = sveeeeet ass visuals :3

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0