Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Minecraft Realms

58 posts in this topic

Let me know if/when you want an OC hostname for the server. =]

Since it's pretty small, Minecraft Realms is good enough, thus no need for using an IP because Minecraft Realms doesn't have players use IPs. Hell, not even I know what the IP is, because it's automatically added to your Minecraft client if your name is added to the server.

The server seems to suspend itself after a while, which is why it may take a few seconds to join, but rejoining is instant. Oh, and automatic backups are pretty awesome. :D

Only 20 players can be whitelisted, and only 10 players can be online at once, but we haven't even made it to half of those.

Edited by 002
Tucker933 likes this

status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:1
status.png?customhost=ProtonNebula.com:2
competent.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

I'm sure hosting your own server is cheaper... but that's just me

Some people really don't want to buy a new computer. The computer I use is a laptop, and I'm fairly mobile with it. Buying a new PC could cost over $300. The $13/month pricetag for the server will exceed the cost of the $300 computer after 24 months, or two years. If I chose to buy a subscription for the server, instead, the price would go down to $10/month, which makes it even more affordable than buying the computer.

Sure it'd be cheaper, after two and a half years...

Edited by 002

competent.png

Definitely. Do you still need premium to access servers for MP? I've slacked heavily in this dept. Figured until there's a server with people I'd enjoy playing with I'll just save myself about $30.

KsqHutE.png

Some people really don't want to buy a new computer. The computer I use is a laptop, and I'm fairly mobile with it. Buying a new PC could cost over $300. The $13/month pricetag for the server will exceed the cost of the $300 computer after 24 months, or two years. If I chose to buy a subscription for the server, instead, the price would go down to $10/month, which makes it even more affordable than buying the computer.

Sure it'd be cheaper, after two and a half years...

But you can do so much more with a server you host on a cheap linux box than Realms because of the limitations. Sure, it's nice if you just want to play with a few friends. But vanilla Minecraft can only go so far.

But you can do so much more with a server you host on a cheap linux box than Realms because of the limitations. Sure, it's nice if you just want to play with a few friends. But vanilla Minecraft can only go so far.

Vanilla Minecraft is fine, which is what Realms is for. 002 was nice enough to put this up for us and is completely free to do whatever they want with it.

002 likes this

002 was nice enough to put this up for us and is completely free to do whatever they want with it.

I don't think that was ever contested.

Legion likes this

"limitations"? I'm not buying any trialware by doing this. There's nothing limiting about playing vanilla Minecraft.

If you mean things like Bukkit plugins, those only extend Minecraft, rather than address any limitations of Minecraft. Then again, if you're talking about mods, after installing 50 mods or so, I stop calling it "Minecraft". If I want to play Minecraft, I will play Minecraft, not a chimera blob that looks similar to Minecraft.

The original argument was that it's cheaper to host a Minecraft server on your own computer. If I chose to leave my laptop at home 24/7 instead of being mobile with it, sure it's cheaper, and maybe better. I don't want to, because I need this computer outside of home. I'd also prefer not to spend a few hundred on a new PC when I can spend $13 instead for a server hosted by the people who make the game.

Edited by 002

competent.png

"limitations"? I'm not buying any trialware by doing this. There's nothing limiting about playing vanilla Minecraft.

If you mean things like Bukkit plugins, those only extend Minecraft, rather than address any limitations of Minecraft. Then again, if you're talking about mods, after installing 50 mods or so, I stop calling it "Minecraft". If I want to play Minecraft, I will play Minecraft, not a chimera blob that looks similar to Minecraft.

I wasn't just talking about server mods when I said "limitations". I was talking about the ability to make the server public (no whitelist), make backups, delete player data that could cause server crashes, use a server-side resource/texture pack, etc..

I'm not saying Realms is "trialware", I just disagree with it being an efficient way to host a server.