What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Minecraft Realms

58 posts in this topic

Depends on what you mean.

I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a new computer when I can spend $13/month for a server provided directly from the creators of Minecraft. People who buy from Apple tend to have a big budget to begin with and would probably buy a computer, instead, probably a Mac Mini for its lower price ($599), low power consumption, and somewhat decent specs (2.5GHz dual core Intel Core i5), though it doesn't come with a keyboard and mouse, or a monitor. Applying to all Macs, buying a Mac can be a real mess, because you then have to upgrade it by spending another $139.99 on Windows 8 Pro (or $149.99 for Windows 7 Professional). The drivers Apple gives you aren't all that great, as the sound quality is somewhat poor if you're using any built-in speakers, but they work.

...what? Who's telling you to buy a new computer? And why, more to the point? Even if you grabbed one there's no way in hell a residential network connection could handle the stress effectively. My stance on this is that for 13$ you could rent a more powerful bukkit server with the same capabilities you cite as your rationale for preferring Realms and host a lot more players besides. So the only real reason is convenience, which I feel is pretty much the crowning jewel of the Apple user stereotype. After all, what's 20 or 30% more dough for the same thing when it's more accessible?

swamp likes this

Tiddy-bits:

...what? Who's telling you to buy a new computer? And why, more to the point?

Answer:

I'm sure hosting your own server is cheaper... but that's just me

002 uses a laptop, not a desktop, so he needs more mobility.

Even if you grabbed one there's no way in hell a residential network connection could handle the stress effectively.

A Minecraft server doesn't take that much bandwidth for a few people. If a residential connection can't take 7 people, then the price of renting a server would cost much more money, wouldn't it?

3473284346.png

My stance on this is that for 13$ you could rent a more powerful bukkit server with the same capabilities you cite as your rationale for preferring Realms and host a lot more players besides. So the only real reason is convenience, which I feel is pretty much the crowning jewel of the Apple user stereotype. After all, what's 20 or 30% more dough for the same thing when it's more accessible?

First off, I don't want a Bukkit server. I want vanilla. If I wanted Bukkit, I would not have considered Minecraft Realms.

Second, people are complaining about the lack of convenience because of the lack of a start menu in Windows 8, and also about Metro being in the way (before 8.1), so many are willing to downgrade to Windows 7 despite Windows 7 being outdated. Hell, my mom hates Windows 8, along with most of her coworkers, because of the lack of convenience. Windows 8 can run the same programs as Windows 7, doing the same tasks often better, but the inconvenience of Metro being in the way sinks Windows 8's ship.

People choose 7 because it doesn't have Metro, despite Windows 8 having a much faster boot time, for example.

The crowning jewel of the Apple user stereotype is not convenience, but quality. Apple users are brainwashed stereotyped to believe that paying 50% more gives you 50% better quality; this is comparable to the placebo effect. I don't find the quality of Minecraft realms to be any different from any other server, other than it being a purely 100% vanilla Minecraft server. Also, I've found Macs to be as equally inconvenient as PCs, software-wise. Hardware-wise, they're even worse, because RAM is soldered in Macbooks, making it impossible to upgrade its RAM after purchase. Apple is basically saying "Want more RAM? Buy a new Mac. While you're at it, go fuck yourself."

Edited by 002
Floofies likes this

Working on building statues for all whitelisted players. Order is order whitelisted, from right to left. Above head is Minecraft name; below head is OpenCarnage name (if applicable).

2014-05-02_15.14.47.png

Sceny, Floofies, Takka and 1 other like this

Answer:

002 uses a laptop, not a desktop, so he needs more mobility.

A Minecraft server doesn't take that much bandwidth for a few people. If a residential connection can't take 7 people, then the price of renting a server would cost much more money, wouldn't it?

3473284346.png

First off, I don't want a Bukkit server. I want vanilla. If I wanted Bukkit, I would not have considered Minecraft Realms.

Second, people are complaining about the lack of convenience because of the lack of a start menu in Windows 8, and also about Metro being in the way (before 8.1), so many are willing to downgrade to Windows 7 despite Windows 7 being outdated. Hell, my mom hates Windows 8, along with most of her coworkers, because of the lack of convenience. Windows 8 can run the same programs as Windows 7, doing the same tasks often better, but the inconvenience of Metro being in the way sinks Windows 8's ship.

People choose 7 because it doesn't have Metro, despite Windows 8 having a much faster boot time, for example.

The crowning jewel of the Apple user stereotype is not convenience, but quality. Apple users are brainwashed stereotyped to believe that paying 50% more gives you 50% better quality; this is comparable to the placebo effect. I don't find the quality of Minecraft realms to be any different from any other server, other than it being a purely 100% vanilla Minecraft server. Also, I've found Macs to be as equally inconvenient as PCs, software-wise. Hardware-wise, they're even worse, because RAM is soldered in Macbooks, making it impossible to upgrade its RAM after purchase. Apple is basically saying "Want more RAM? Buy a new Mac. While you're at it, go fuck yourself."

I am really starting to get sick of this forum's holy war against embedded quotes. So I'll address what you're saying in order:

1. He said it'd be cheaper to host it yourself. That doesn't necessarily mean he's saying you need to buy a desktop and host it right off the connection.

2. And no, it doesn't. A 2 gigabyte server runs about 10$ at cheapest. The cost of hosting servers on a gigabit line is subsidized by the sheer amount of clients. Essentially how penny stores operate. As far as operating a server for 7 people, you'd be surprised, I think. You certainly could, but not smoothly or consistently. The best route is to rent a server. All I'm saying is that Realms has a horrendous pricepoint for what it is and the only people who are going to spring for it from existing providers are tools who just want something *official* (even though nothing official has even compared to third party contributions as of late).

3. Bukkit by itself adds nothing but numerous compatibility & security fixes as well as support for plugins later down the line should one be so inclined. Even if you were still to refuse it in that knowledge out of obstinacy, pretty much every host I can think of allows you to choose a strictly vanilla server installation from whatever cp is available.

Of course it's your money and you're free to do what you want, and I am grateful you're providing this service to the community here at OC, but I remain unconvinced that your rationale for considering and choosing Realms is founded in misconceptions about how it stacks up to the existing market, or even how the server software itself works given your confusion over what Bukkit is.

I am really starting to get sick of this forum's holy war against embedded quotes. So I'll address what you're saying in order:

1. He said it'd be cheaper to host it yourself. That doesn't necessarily mean he's saying you need to buy a desktop and host it right off the connection.

2. And no, it doesn't. A 2 gigabyte server runs about 10$ at cheapest. The cost of hosting servers on a gigabit line is subsidized by the sheer amount of clients. Essentially how penny stores operate. As far as operating a server for 7 people, you'd be surprised, I think. You certainly could, but not smoothly or consistently. The best route is to rent a server. All I'm saying is that Realms has a horrendous pricepoint for what it is and the only people who are going to spring for it from existing providers are tools who just want something *official* (even though nothing official has even compared to third party contributions as of late).

3. Bukkit by itself adds nothing but numerous compatibility & security fixes as well as support for plugins later down the line should one be so inclined. Even if you were still to refuse it in that knowledge out of obstinacy, pretty much every host I can think of allows you to choose a strictly vanilla server installation from whatever cp is available.

Of course it's your money and you're free to do what you want, and I am grateful you're providing this service to the community here at OC, but I remain unconvinced that your rationale for considering and choosing Realms is founded in misconceptions about how it stacks up to the existing market, or even how the server software itself works given your confusion over what Bukkit is.

1. That's exactly what it sounded like. Hosting it yourself means actually hosting it yourself, not having someone else host it, like a server provider, like Minecraft Realms. As I said before multiple times, I cannot host it myself without buying another computer to do that.

2. How much memory does each player use? Also, it's only 40¢ more than the 2GB server.

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-02%20at%2011.47.

3. How is it more secure? I would imagine it uses the same authentication method.

As for compatibility, Bukkit's latest recommended build is 1.6.4, and its latest Beta build is 1.7.2. The latest version of Minecraft is 1.7.9. If they recommend I use an outdated version of Minecraft, then it's not compatible.

In other news, I completed v3nture's statue.

2014-05-03_00.10.12.png

I didn't really read that post because I've been forbidden from criticizing your standpoint here, though I would like to apologize if I've been overly harsh in my posts up to this point. I don't hold anything against you personally and I hope you don't think any less of me for defending my own thoughts on the matter as religiously as I did. I wish you the best of luck in this venture, and I hope you will continue to subscribe to the service to see how it evolves to challenge the expansive (and I still think superior) competitors in the area.

Lol I got myself removed off the Whitelist, but mine is Ozworkyn....or something. I rarely play multiplayer, hopped in grav's server once upon a time he's got a cool setup going.....or did. This was probably closer to a year ago.

qLaaeEJ.png