What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Wolf Demon

So who's had the worst year so far?

12 posts in this topic

SPOILER ALERT: DISAPPOINTMENT ALL UP IN THIS BITCH

So firstly, my wife and I found out we were forming babby last year. That's fine and all but unfortunately my job at Olive Garden wasn't gonna cut it for raising a kid, I don't know how some of those other fuckers do it with multiple kids on a single income working less than I did. It was decent when I worked 40+ hours per week but after summer it got real hard to even keep 30 hours. I ended up getting a second job in November and worked 6 days a week and I still barely got by on bills every month. Before babby I was content sticking around at Olive Garden and moving up the ranks but babby had to light a fire under my ass to find better paying work that actually offered health benefits. Bringing life into this world is fucking expensive for some reason.

So fast forward a few months and a bunch of applications later with companies sitting around with their thumbs up their asses, I finally got an interview for the railroad company here. Fucking sweet, they have the most awesome retirement and a union that actually benefits the workers and the pay is awesome. UNFORTUNATELY it's seasonal work so it's 8 months of work at high pay and then I have to find work in the other 4 months but that's okay because after the first year you get paid in your off season, so while the first year would be hard and I'd only make about as much as I made in 2013, I'll definitely make more the following year because in addition to that, my pay gets bumped up like $2/hr after 6 months.

I'm super stoked about all that. The timing was hard though because my two weeks of training started March 10th, I got my interview like the first week of February, and then a few days later they contacted me saying they were offering me the job but first I had to do the DOT physical, drug screen, and a physical ability test and if I got all those, then I could start training on March 10th. I didn't find out that I was accepted until within 2 weeks of training so it kinda sucked for Olive Garden I'm sure and I wanted to give them enough notice because I'm a hard person to replace there with how much I knew.

I go to the training/orientation and I find out the exact specifics of how choosing a location works, all based on seniority and it's incredibly complex. The short of it is that I could get a position near where I lived and then get fucked by someone above me and have to work 6 hours away from home and they don't compensate you for that. So that sucks but at the same time, I have family all over the state so for the most part it wouldn't be a problem. I end up working my first actual week after the two weeks of training in the city where I grew up, two hours away from where my pregnant wife and I live so that means travelling every weekend to be there in the hopes I can still transfer back to where I live. But after the first week that chance looks slim so I decide we should probably move back so I can be close and be home every day. The plan was to stay with my parents while we try to find a place and then move everything out of the apartment after that so we don't have to move it twice and my parents don't have the room for all our shit.

So first week goes fine, second week comes, I find a place that interests me and I immediately put applications. The downsides of moving is that as soon as we find a place, wel'll end up needing to terminate our lease early and take a $200 fine. I'm okay with that because waiting until the lease is up would be more expensive and coincidentally, my wife's due date is a week before our lease is up. Moving at the height of that just sounds like a shitty deal so I'll bite the bullet on that. Everything seems to be going fine and then comes Friday of my second actual week of work. At the end of the day we get back to our meeting building and the roadmaster hands me a fax sent for me and what does the fucking fax say? "your application for employment has been terminated effective immediately." No fucking explanation. So I call the dude whose name is on the fax like what the fuck and according to him I haven't been "improving" enough. Are you fucking serious? You expect me to improve after two weeks on the job when we're all still learning? Freakin ridiculous, how about give me closer to the standard 90 day probation period, you aren't going to see anyone improve after only two weeks doing work like this.

Suddenly no job! That's fucking fantastic. I put all my chips into this job working as hard as I could because this is something I could have made a career of and support an actual family and not live in perpetual poverty like I was at Olive Garden. Then I'm suddenly put into a frenzy of needing to find another job because I didn't want to get trapped at Olive Garden again. Fortunately (MAYBE!!??) I put in two more applications at the power company the week training started at the railroad JUST IN CASE because anything could happen. Unfortunately the power company is one of the companies sitting around with their thumbs up their asses so I don't know when I'll hear from them if at all. Both jobs are where I currently live, well FUCK. I was already planning on moving. I look for jobs in both cities where my parents live and where I live. I end up immediately getting an interview at Coca Cola, where I worked before. Just this Wednesday I find out that I got that job. It's a "training" position so I can finish getting my CDL and then I can get my own route. Job doesn't pay nearly as well (the training part anyway, only $14/hr) but then when I get a truck job it's salary + commission and I will make around 35k which ISN'T BAD, and definitely better than I'll do at the railroad the first year so it's a definite stepping stone. 

Now the reason this sucks is that the power company job I put in for pays 50k/yr and I work 4 days a week and overtime there I get paid double time so it's an amazing job. Then there's this dilemma of what the fuck do I do with this apartment? I could just cancel the shit and pay the fee and move everything into storage, which would save me money, but I'm afraid that I COULD end up getting the job at the power company and then I'd have to move everything back and find a new apartment (it's hard as HELL to find a place to live here, especially with pets). So I think I'll keep the apartment until July and move everything anyway, which will be more expensive but it will save a lot of problems if I do get the job, if I don't well then FUCK ME. I won't have to worry about money AS MUCH since I'll be making more hourly than at OG and I'll actually get full time hours and benefits after 90 days. 

In the midst of all this, ANOTHER job pops up at the power company in yet a DIFFERENT city that pays 70k/yr which basically means I could just live comfortably for the rest of my life and never have to worry about money after again. SHIT. So I put in for that job, WHO KNOWS WHEN OR IF I'LL GET AN INTERVIEW. For all I know I can get the job here, and then sign a new lease and then get that job, that would suck so hard, but also be awesome. 

And here I am, packing as much shit as I can until I start work next Monday because it's gonna be harder then. I'm just pissed off about this whole situation because it's 100% more stressful than it should be because my wife is pregnant and due at the end of our lease. Honestly it would be easier if we already had babby and school was over with for the wife so then she could actually help with stuff but if only I could be so fortunate

I guess I can just be happy I found a job within 3 weeks of getting the boot. Yeah I could have gone back to OG but like I said, I would have been stuck in a cycle again. It was hard enough to get people to cover my awkward shifts so that I could go to an interview, this way I was able to go where I needed to go. But goddamnit I STILL have to move

spectrumsig3.png

Tiddy-bits:

So far this year, I've only had a freezing cold winter, which is just about over. Nothing much to say. Last year is in spoilers, if anyone wants to read it.

Last year, on January 2nd, 2013, my dad had abdominal pain. He went to the emergency room, and the doctors diagnosed him with gastritis, which is, of course, a very minor health condition, and he could stay home for a few days. The next day, he died, painfully, and I watched him die. The paramedics came and there wasn't anything they could do. According to the doctor, it was far too late, and he was doomed long before he felt the first pain. Basically, his heart had torn after swelling up, causing two different lacerations, which was obviously not survivable. The paramedics came downstairs after diagnosing him, and after they said "your father is no longer", I knew they were going to say he died, but it took ten seconds or so for my brain to process my world turning up-side-down after he said "with us". I had to hear his mother cry when I called her, and lots of my family had come all the way up to Minnesota, where he lived with us, for his funeral. The day he died was the only day I had ever missed performing in the small choir I was in that was called "Ovation"; The Ovation group is the 20 students that auditioned from concert choir. The pastor came to my house to give us his blessings, and my choir teacher came to my house. It was nice of the principal for her to give us a couple weeks off, but I returned the week later so I could miss as little work as possible. I wanted to return even sooner, but my mother kept telling me not too. He wanted cremated, and his urn is buried next to his father. The year started out shitty.

On February, not much notable happened, but my grandmother had spent a lot of time with us.

On March, my mother had TWO heart attacks, the second one because the grafts failed from the quadruple bypass surgery she had for her first one. Many stents. She had to take a lot of time off from work, but she likes to joke that she had a heart attack so she could miss the inservice meeting. She quit smoking, and she said she feels better than she has ever had in a long time. I didn't have my license, my mother was too sick to go driving with me, and my grandmother was too afraid to go driving with me. Winter was also all month, too.

On April, mom got more stents. Winter still continued all month. My 18th birthday did not include my father.

On May 1st was the worst snowstorm in the entire winter, with the high school being cancelled, as well as the technical college that I go to, today. Winter ended a week later, finally. My graduation did not include my father, though the last day of school had rather bizarre weather: It was thunderstorming and raining heavily, but it was also sunny outside. It felt like getting rained on by a lawn sprinkler, and I thought there was one by the school, at first. The other side of the school was a dark cloud all the way to the horizon, though.

The following summer, my family moved. We wanted a new start, and a new house, because the house we lived in for only the previous two years was pretty old, and my dad died in it. It was rather unnerving having to sleep 12 feet from where I saw him die. Not long after we moved, my mom's knee went out, so she had to get surgery. More bad health for my mother. She couldn't walk very well, though it got better until she got surgery. She's now feeling much better, and we haven't had any problems since.

At last, the year ended. If we had made a movie about our shitty year, nobody would believe it.

Edited by 002

i've been stuck inside a house that should have been demolished years ago, tasked with keeping it clean. slowly rotting because i don't have a licence, unable to get a job or even apply because no one is willing to drive me anywhere, including the local dmv. watching the lives of friends fall apart, friends i haven't been able to see in over a year now. loaned several thousand dollars to my family, none of which has been paid back to me, had my bank account closed WITHOUT BEING TOLD.  Lost everything on my hard drive but the operating system, spent four months getting it all back to find out i'm just going to lose it all again within the next few weeks, this time including the operating system.  

Floofies likes this

Who am I but myself?

It has been a pretty decent year for me, but last year was certainly better.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

I've been unable to find a job because I live in a subrub with essentially no public transportation (next closest place is > 10 miles away with no sidewalks/bike lanes because every road leaving where I live is a state highway), and there is only a small block of stores in my area - mainly chain stores but they hardly ever have openings (I've only had 5 interviews in the past year and a half, one resulting in an under the table job which closed down a month after I started (and declined another job offer because that one gave me ideal hours so I wouldn't have to walk an hour to my house at 11pm))

Of the other 4 job interviews I've had, 3 were for the same place. Each time they've said they would contact me with more details, but they didn't and so I had to call them, then they would tell me to come in so I'd go in and they'd just tell me the manager hadn't decided yet/the manager was on vacation and would be back monday/the manager was figuring out hours.

Meanwhile, I'm trying to move out and share an apartment with 3 other people but can't afford it because I can't find a job. My parents are sending my sister fully payed to a $40k/yr private school in Texas, and tell me that "community college isn't a real college" so they won't help pay for it. I get that they can do whatever the fuck they want, it's their money and I'm not entitled to it, but fuck all. Their post-graduation advice was join the military.

I'm stuck programming borderline-gray shit for basically no usable cash because fuck. My only other source of income has been edible making over my camp stove, which isn't a sustainable option.

inb4 debt

but yeah wolf demon wins

Edited by Ryx

7oWRJVS.gif

I've got my dad paying my rent while I'm not even living in the house I'm he's paying rent on. I feel like if I move out temporarily my roommates won't let me back in, which wouldn't be too big of a deal, but they're like my only friends and we all depend on each other.

However, it should only be a temporary setback, I just feel like kind of a bum and a NEET since going unemployed.

I am more than my current struggles though, and some of you guys have struggles that are hard to overcome. I wish you guys the best. Especially Wolf Demon, but I'm sure with the arrival of the little one, it'll bring enough positive energy to turn things around.

xgd0s9.jpg

i've been stuck inside a house that should have been demolished years ago, tasked with keeping it clean. slowly rotting because i don't have a licence, unable to get a job or even apply because no one is willing to drive me anywhere, including the local dmv. watching the lives of friends fall apart, friends i haven't been able to see in over a year now. loaned several thousand dollars to my family, none of which has been paid back to me, had my bank account closed WITHOUT BEING TOLD.  Lost everything on my hard drive but the operating system, spent four months getting it all back to find out i'm just going to lose it all again within the next few weeks, this time including the operating system.  

This was pretty much my 2010-12. The extreme frustration from not being able to get your license/a job due to family laziness is almost unreal. I walked my fucking ass off (8+ miles a day, over 30 miles on buses, all while carrying around 60 pounds of equipment) to get to jobs, only to pay 99% of the money to my mom, and I had to pay random people to drive me to the DMV to take tests and attempt to get my license. My sisters and brother are now dealing with this too, as I've moved out. You will get there, because your family can't grapple onto you forever...

For the first time since like 2008 I'm actually having a decent year so far. Nothing awful has happened, nobody close to me has died, I've been able to sleep, etc etc etc. Feels good man.

But reading all this is making me really sad for all you guys. Just keep going. It's really the only option. It kinda sucks that life is often just a test of endurance, but hey, usually the test ends at some point. You'll get there eventually.

Kvasir and Floofies like this

m68Vl5E.jpg

2014 has been a bit strange so far.

I went a bit wacky in January because of a bunch of silly stuff that's of no real importance and locked myself in my room for a week, occasionally venturing out to get food (maybe once every couple of days? My appetite basically died out). Since then things have been better though, I've been doing pretty good at university, social life has recovered pretty well and I haven't starved to death despite spending all my money on alcohol and things I don't need.

So yeah, I probably don't win the "worst year so far" contest, thankfully.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0