What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Kavawuvi

Convert a full version map to a CE map

19 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

I'm now working on the patcher. Know that it is not a replacement to a CE->FV converter like Pearl, and only works with Halo full version maps that have been made into a hybrid map from this method. It is to be used to replace the last step, with the hex editor.

I've uploaded the patcher. https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30298900/000Release/BabelCL/babel.exe

An OS X version will probably not be released.

The syntax is babel.exe <path to map>. Let me know if there are any issues with it, and I will help address them. It will undo changes it makes if you run it through the patcher again.

For PC->CE, it will require all bitmaps and sounds to be internalized, as well as the 44 ustr tags located in the tagc tag "ui\ui_tags_loaded_multiplayer_scenario_type" from a stock CE multiplayer map.

For CE->PC, in addition to all bitmaps and sounds being internalized, it will require all tags to be internalized, as Halo PC does not support indexed tags.

Edited by 002
WaeV, Kvasir, NeX and 1 other like this

It's too bad it's not really possible to make a PC->CE converter without having solved map rebuilding. I mean, yeah Eschaton can do it, but you have to do all the clicks manually. There's a real need for rebuilding that anyone can use in their own programs.

Zero2, you're working on rebuilding along with your various C libraries, right? Any status?

It's too bad it's not really possible to make a PC->CE converter without having solved map rebuilding. I mean, yeah Eschaton can do it, but you have to do all the clicks manually. There's a real need for rebuilding that anyone can use in their own programs.

Zero2, you're working on rebuilding along with your various C libraries, right? Any status?

I've actually decided to move onto trying to write a rebuilder in C++. I've got C code that works, but it's kind of a mess.

Edited by 002

I've actually decided to move onto trying to write a rebuilder in C++. I've got C code that works, but it's kind of a mess.

So you're starting with your old C code, and refactoring it with C++ features?

When I'm doing "C but with select C++ features", I end up using std::vector and std::map quite a lot. Be sure to check out C++11/14 features, especially smart pointers. But take care -- just because a feature exists doesn't mean you have to use it (way too easy to overcomplicate things using C++).

Can't wait to see what you make!

So you're starting with your old C code, and refactoring it with C++ features?

When I'm doing "C but with select C++ features", I end up using std::vector and std::map quite a lot. Be sure to check out C++11/14 features, especially smart pointers. But take care -- just because a feature exists doesn't mean you have to use it (way too easy to overcomplicate things using C++).

Can't wait to see what you make!

std::vector is definitely a boon, as it saves me from having to either re-allocate something over and over again with lots and lots of code, or having to go through a tag twice. I'm actually not using any C code right now, though I may include some. It's going a little faster than I expected, since I'm a bit new to C++, but I'm not new to C (C99 in particular).

I'm trying to write this like I would be proud of it, but I'm also trying to get a working rebuilder. It'll take some time, and I'll definitely make it open-source. The goal of Proton was originally meant to serve as an easy way to rebuild maps for Halo map editors, so it was going to be open-source regardless.

Edited by 002

Hi, sorry to bump this five year old topic, but I figured this was the best place.

My clan was highly active on Halo Trial 10+ years ago, and a few of us are starting to enter the Halo CE scene thanks to the improved gameplay with SAPP and Chimera.

We grew tired of playing bloodgulch over and over, so a clan member modded the trial Silent Cartographer map, and we were able to spend countless hours playing it. I was wondering if it would be possible to port this modded Trial map to Custom Edition?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide!

6 hours ago, Locke said:

Hi, sorry to bump this five year old topic, but I figured this was the best place.

My clan was highly active on Halo Trial 10+ years ago, and a few of us are starting to enter the Halo CE scene thanks to the improved gameplay with SAPP and Chimera.

We grew tired of playing bloodgulch over and over, so a clan member modded the trial Silent Cartographer map, and we were able to spend countless hours playing it. I was wondering if it would be possible to port this modded Trial map to Custom Edition?

I appreciate any help anyone can provide!

Have you checked out Halomaps? In sure there are plenty of SP to MP Silent Cartographer maps.