Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tucker933

Should it be illegal to smoke in public?

73 posts in this topic

Good point Mars and additionally alcohol has manufacturing standards and is a heavily regulated industry as compared to e-cigs. It's about taking educated risks and making well informed choices.

Regulators look at scientific data regarding health effects, dosage and route of exposure, so no it wasn't just made up to suppress your leisure activities. If people want to smoke in general that's their personal choice and their personal choice shouldn't affect another just as I wouldn't shove contents of a vodka bottle down someone's throat because I love drinking vodka.

Edited by Pandora
Floofies likes this

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

It would be interesting to see who here smokes as opposed to the non smoker or who is a reformed smoker.  Does that sway the strength behind your replies?  I am currently a smoker, had given up for more than a decade beforehand.

I see as lot of 'band aid' type solutions to the controversy of smoking.  The government reaps the rewards by the taxes imposed on cigarettes so it will never be made illegal to smoke, they have too much to lose.  As for making it illegal in public, sheesh, making people feel like a leper, ostracizing their habit only causes angst.  I think the current laws are addressing the situation, adequately limiting exposure in confined areas.

It is illegal to smoke in a vehicle with children (in Australia), it is against the law to smoke within a certain distance of food shops, a fine can be imposed if you smoke under a bus shelter, these are all 'better choices' than to illegalize it in public altogether.  Currently only 13% of the Australian population smoke, according to studies. Can that little percentage really create such a health hazard when compared to the carbons and poisons omitted by other means?

It would be interesting to see who here smokes as opposed to the non smoker or who is a reformed smoker.  Does that sway the strength behind your replies?  I am currently a smoker, had given up for more than a decade beforehand.

I've tried cigars, cigarettes, and e-cigs. The only kind I liked (that didn't make me want to vomit) was the e-cigs, but they did absolutely nothing for me after 30 minutes.

Although I do have a taste for green machine...

the dankest of weed. see diggity dank or kind bud
yo, you got any green machine?
SnipeYa and Krazychic like this

Dang-it mars now I'm killing for a nice $50 cigar, first my friends get me to go clubbing in a cookie monster onesie tonight and now this.

Floofies likes this

PfXuCLa.png

I've tried cigars, never cigarettes. I much prefer the "wacko" tobacco.

I'm squeamish about banning smoking because of my anti-Federal tendencies. I *am* taking a class called "American Individualist Anarchism in the 19th Century" this semester...

Not that I couldn't be convinced; I'm just squeamish about the idea.

Kvasir likes this

Consumption of toxic substances should be grouped together and confined to mosh pits of death metal concerts. 

Here's an idea - just shine a bright laser light in the eyes of someone making you breathe their smoke. You'll share a mutual "whatcha gonna do?" moment. Should probably carry mace too just in case. 

Floofies, SnipeYa and Tucker933 like this

We have enough anti smoking laws here in Aus.

It's fine as it is; Can only smoke in designated areas mostly, which is fine, and necessary. To ban it entirely is overkill.

Krazychic, WaeV and Kvasir like this

m68Vl5E.jpg

takapz.jpg

I don't think that's a quite fair comparison. Somebody smoking a cigarette near you outside or across the room is not anywhere near pissing directly on somebody. Also, smoke is nasty, but it isn't human excrement. 

If a guy is smoking two feet away from you, he's an asshole. If he's just a guy having a smoke wherever the designated ash tray is for that establishment, well that's not really his fault that the ash tray was located there. Only an asshole smokes really close to non-smokers or blows smoke at them.

Edited by Kvasir
jG- and Krazychic like this

Doldrums.png

I don't think that's a quite fair comparison. Somebody smoking a cigarette near you outside or across the room is not anywhere near pissing directly on somebody. Also, smoke is nasty, but it isn't human excrement. 

If a guy is smoking two feet away from you, he's an asshole. If he's just a guy having a smoke wherever the designated ash tray is for that establishment, well that's not really his fault that the ash tray was located there. Only an asshole smokes really close to non-smokers or blows smoke at them.

My sentiments exactly.

Kvasir likes this