What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Should it be illegal to smoke in public?

73 posts in this topic

E-cigs are still healthier though, aren't they? Just one degree of nasty instead of several degrees of nasty.

Health-wise: I wouldn't call it "healthier" but rather "less deadly", since nicotine is clearly not healthy for you. Some e-cigs contain no nicotine, and just simulate the flavor (Unsure how this alone will stop smoking). Nicotine is addictive, and so you do still risk getting a nicotine addiction if you take e-cigs that have high enough nicotine, which means you risk getting addicted to the real thing. Nicotine by itself is known to raise blood pressure (causing hypertension) and cause stress. Hypertension and stress are known to cause other health problems.

The additives in normal cigarettes are generally the culprits of most of your problems, so taking e-cigs is certainly less problematic.

I'd prefer to have no problems at all.

Pandora likes this

Tiddy-bits:

You taper down from a higher nicotine content to a lower one slowly. That and the fact that smoking anything fulfills the oral addiction. The act of smoking is addictive in itself.

And less deadly still equates to healthier, whether you like how it sounds or not.

NeX, Floofies, Ryx and 1 other like this

Doldrums.png

I dont smoke, but I dont think its right to tax a minoritym nor to ban them from doing it. Its their choice

qLaaeEJ.png

I don't smoke, but have plenty of friends who do and have worked at jobs that put me around it more than the average person (bar bouncer and club photographer). I don't think it should be completely illegal, but there should be designated smoking areas. I don't feel this is feasible in small cities, but living and working in NYC, I think it could work and would be the right move. Don't make it hard for smokers to find these areas, but have sections of each block set aside for people to smoke. Lets be real, there are health hazards associated with being around people who smoke. I am all for freedom, but when you put other people's health at risk for an activity you do, I feel that is impinging on their freedom if they do not wish to be exposed to it. NYC has already made it illegal to smoke in public parks, which I feel is a step in the right direction. And to put some backstory on my current view, as I said, I've been around people in my spare time and work time who smoke. I only started to get this view once I started working in Midtown. As a non smoker, it is quite frustrating to go outside to do anything whether it be getting lunch, commuting, or just getting "air" and have a multitude of people walking by and next to you puffing at their cigs. Before working here, it didn't bother me, but the sheer volume of people you walk by in NYC makes it a bit imposing for a non smoker. I feel people who have never lived or worked in NYC don't understand the volume of people. I commute through the Port Authority Bus Terminal which has over 250,000 people commuting from it on an average weekday. That is just people from NJ coming to NYC, not counting the NYC residents who are out and about commuting. Obviously I don't personally pass 250k people on my commute, but walking through times square, I easily pass a hundred people just walking one block.

one decade and counting

The additives in normal cigarettes are generally the culprits of most of your problems, so taking e-cigs is certainly less problematic.

Also with an e-cig, you're not inhaling a burning plant. Most of a cigarette is leafy biomass. Same goes for vaporizers used with cannabanoids.

I tried e-cigs. Didn't have that hug from inside your lungs you get from a cigarette, but you could rack up a hellofa headrush. 

Kavawuvi and Kvasir like this

Surely what's bad for me is my business?

Yes, i guess if you want to harm yourself with filthy chemicals, be my guest, but you may regret it later

Shoooey so much butthurt ITT. I stopped smoking because its unhealthy and expensive. But fucking christ, we're honestly circlejerking about removing peoples' freedoms because we don't like the smell? In an open air environment, unless someone breathes it in your face directly, you're not getting anything harmful in enough of a concentration to be noteworthy. Especially if there's wind. Same logic that would indicate my farts aren't filling your lungs with bacteria, even though you smell it and the source is unclean.

Is the smell oppressive? Yes. Are you an adult and can get the fuck over it? Also yes. That being said, sure, increase the distance required to smoke outside of buildings, outlaw it in places where people are too crowded. But to claim the reason you want it removed is for others' health is laughable. You don't like the smell, and that's about it. By that same logic taking horrendously smelly shits should be illegal in restaraunts that sell food because sometimes I catch a whiff when the door is open.

Life sucks, sometimes shit is inconvenient. Alcohol is arguably more damaging over a lifetime of an addict, and definitely for their family. Ever hear of someone beating their wife and kids because they smoked too many cigarettes? Hahahaha. Let's all at least be adult enough to admit we're willing to take someone's freedom (regardless of whether you like it) because you find it offensive. That's a DAMN slippery slope

Kvasir, WaeV and Floofies like this

KsqHutE.png

I personally want smoking to be rid of in this world, 

A - its bad for you

B - its bad for others

I'd want smoking to be rid of in this world. Hell, I want it totally outlawed everywhere and gone forever, but if people want to do it given that they understand that it will cost a lot of money and it can potentially harm them, then let them smoke as long as they aren't harming anyone else. It's their body, after all.

This topic is not a debate about whether or not smoking should be illegal, but rather if they should be allowed to do it in public, where there is secondhand exposure.

As far as I can tell, the negative consequences of making it illegal to smoke in public is the fact that the smoking addiction is very strong, and people want to smoke every few hours. They don't want to go all the way home to do it, either. However, if someone has a smoking addiction, they should not be having other people suffer the consequences: the secondhand smoke.

Edited by 002
Chronocide likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0