What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Should it be illegal to smoke in public?

73 posts in this topic

because you get free breaks if you smoke and work in food service

at my mcdonald's, only one or two people can actually get smoke breaks and it's pretty rare and only if we're dead.  They don't let the "kids" have them because the managers are actually cool people and will just make them do something else instead of letting them continue forming the habit.  The people they do let smoke are those that are already older and know what they're doing.  One fellow, a good friend of mine, was recently hospitalized for something like a month.  Nodes in his neck started swelling up so large that he couldn't breathe, and they had to insert an artificial trachea or else he would have died within hours.  They said it was 90% most likely due to the fact that he smoked and used chewing tobacco.  As far as I know, he doesn't dip any more but he started smoking again.

It's addictive thats why, I've been smoking for about 5 years now and im turning 19 in may its way too easy for minors to get their hands on the shit. and its not illegal to smoke under age just selling to an under age person (or buying for).

While a lot of them already were smoking before they turned 18, I can think of two examples right now that actually started smoking just because they turned 18.  I even tried smoking myself.  I tell people I have a very un-addictive personality, but I really don't see how you can get yourself hooked on something that does so little but has so much negative effect.  Just after smoking one cigarette, one of my gloves I carry around with me was stained with the stench for the rest of the night.

Edited by Skeezix the Cat

oVoXWXc.png

Tiddy-bits:

In Queensland (Australia)

Smoking is prohibited in all pubs, clubs, restaurants and workplaces in Queensland, as well as in commercial outdoor eating and drinking areas and in outdoor public places (e.g., patrolled beaches, children's playground equipment, major sport stadiums, and within 4 metres of non-residential building entrances). For all other liquor licensed premises, and non-liquor licensed premises, from 1 July 2006 there is no smoking at any outdoor eating or drinking place. In May 2009 it was announced that smoking in cars where children under the age of 16 are present was banned and that the power to regulate smoking at pedestrian malls and public transport waiting points such as bus stops, taxi ranks and ferry wharves was transferred to local government.

Everyone is allowed short breaks (ironically called "Smoko"). While it used to mean smoking, it now just represents "a short work break."

I rarely see smoking people  :wacko:

Kavawuvi and Floofies like this

Science stuff, just to clarify: The nicotine in a cigarette isn't a carcinogen and it is not linked to cancer, though it does make it addicting and raises blood pressure as well as doing a number of other things. It's the additives that the tobacco companies put in the cigarette that cause cancer.

I may have a considerable percentage of ethanol in my system right now but I'm pretty sure in terms of the science, nicotine is a naturally occurring (and addictive) chemical found commonly in tobacco plants (it uses it to protect itself from predators) and when the tobacco leaves are manufactured/processed/cured for commercial use (just the leaf itself) it easily forms nitrosamine which a well known and main carcinogen (and one of many chemicals) that also exists in cigarette and obviously tobacco smoke.

Cigarettes have many other chemicals added further in its formulation that also have a carcinogenic response, so what happens is that you have something that's nasty become crazy nasty due to a compound/cumulative health effect. This is why e-cigarettes which are marketed as a better substitute to cigarettes are a load of crap and there is potential for oral cancer when just chewing commercial grade tobacco/snuff.

People really need to understand that just because something is natural...."organic" it's not automatically safe to use, mother nature is not that kind. Asbestos is a natural occurring mineral but yet it's crazy nasty, not going to stick that in a pipe anytime soon or find ways to inhale.

SnipeYa and Pfhunkie like this

E-cigs are still healthier though, aren't they? Just one degree of nasty instead of several degrees of nasty.

Compared to cigarettes I suppose it is in theory. Nicotine has its own effects but apart from that I'd be hesitant to make judgement that is absolutely safer as manufacture of emerging e-cig products is new territory for regulators and so manufacturing standards have not been set and vary considerably. When unregulated, this leaves chance for manufactures to put whatever the hell they want in and some e-cigs have been tested positive for nitrosamine content which is concerning.

For it to be further promoted as therapeutic device to aid in the cessation of smoking and being marketed as a "healthy way to smoke" is misleading. Right now it's like trying to suss out if honey is a better substitute for sugar to a diabetic =\

Floofies likes this

Banning smoking in public would be pretty awful IMO, but people should atleast be courteous enough not to smoke around children. The fact that smoking anything at all is banned anywhere makes me seethe with rage. I HAVE A GOD GIVEN RIGHT TO SMOKE PCP DAMNIT. 

Ok maybe smoking pcp shouldn't be allowed in public.

Edited by tomsicle
Skeezix the Cat and Floofies like this

2itsg77.jpg

The problem is that a large number of people here are going to argue in a really negative light towards smoking anything. There are certainly varying levels of nasty depending on what you're smoking.

Also, half the reason people are saying e cigs are so dangerous is because they "can't be sure" what is in every single bottle of liquid brewed. Personally, I think that some nicotine and propylene glycol being vaped is much less dangerous to personal health and public health. I don't agree with it being healthy smoking, but it is healthier.

Floofies and WaeV like this

Doldrums.png

I agree. I think smoking around others without their consent is rude and some people do need a ban in place to keep them from doing so.

I just wanted to generally vent frustration towards the fact that most people who talk about smoking and dont understand it don't actually do it. The reason I smoke is because I like my little smoke breaks and I just love the feel of smoking. Exhaling smoke is relaxing and pleasurable. That, and now that it's established I of course have a dependency, just not quite as bad as most people.

Floofies and SnipeYa like this

Doldrums.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0