What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Takka

Should it be illegal to smoke in public?

73 posts in this topic

366517561.jpg

While both tobacco and marijuana smoke have negative impacts on an individuals lungs, limited exposure doesn't pose a health concern for most adults. However its common public use makes it nearly unavoidable, which isn't acceptable for children and their developing lungs. Beyond the health concerns, smoke is a major irritant for many individuals and can be hard to get rid of, as it easily saturates fibers such as in fabric or hair.

Should a ban against smoking in public be enforced, and to what extent?

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

I think in city's it should be, or only have designated areas, something like that. In Australia its already illegal to smoke withing 4 meters of any shop front that sells food.

Takka, Vuthakral and Allakel like this

PfXuCLa.png

I know I'm probably going to get replied by "this shit ain't true" or that I'm way too sensitive. I grew up with a smoking mother who smoked in one particular room that reeked of it, and I saw her waking up with a heart attack last year, soon after my dad died. She then got a second heart attack, despite quitting, because of how much damage had been done. Don't smoke.

I'll be blunt: Tobacco smoke is awful. Smoke gets everywhere, from in their hair to their clothes, causing their whole body to smell like antique pieces of shit. The worst of all is that it gets in the air where they are smoking, and everyone nearby is forced to breathe in one person's cigarette, so it gets everywhere. It's so bad that it makes me feel nauseated just smelling it and gives me a nasty headache, and there isn't any other smell that ever does that to me.

Having to go to college every day, where there may be smokers outside, sucks. Tobacco smoke is more-or-less poison, because it has the same carcinogens as what's in the cigarettes. It's worse because there's more smoke than there is a cigarette, so more people can get cancer and heart disease because one person decided to light a cigarette in public because of their shitty life decisions. Every day, I am forced to walk through cancer clouds to get to class in college, and I'm fucking sick of it.

Should it be illegal? I think it should, but it won't get banned because so many people who need to smoke once every damn hour, because of how addicting it is. Screw them, because they aren't making the conscious choice of quitting.

Edited by 002
Takka, Sceny and Floofies like this

I know I'm probably going to get replied by "this shit ain't true" or that I'm way too sensitive. I grew up with a smoking mother who smoked in one particular room that reeked of it, and I saw her waking up with a heart attack last year, soon after my dad died. She then got a second heart attack, despite quitting, because of how much damage had been done. Don't smoke.

I'll be blunt: Tobacco smoke is awful. Smoke gets everywhere, from in their hair to their clothes, causing their whole body to smell like antique pieces of shit. The worst of all is that it gets in the air where they are smoking, and everyone nearby is forced to breathe in one person's cigarette, so it gets everywhere. It's so bad that it makes me feel nauseated just smelling it and gives me a nasty headache, and there isn't any other smell that ever does that to me.

Having to go to college every day, where there may be smokers outside, sucks. Tobacco smoke is more-or-less poison, because it has the same carcinogens as what's in the cigarettes. It's worse because there's more smoke than there is a cigarette, so more people can get cancer and heart disease because one person decided to light a cigarette in public because of their shitty life decisions. Every day, I am forced to walk through cancer clouds to get to class in college, and I'm fucking sick of it.

Should it be illegal? I think it should, but it won't get banned because so many people who need to smoke once every damn hour, because of how addicting it is. Screw them, because they aren't making the conscious choice of quitting.

I don't quite have the same "Fuck 'em" attitude, but I agree with most of your points. It should be common sense, but it seems like most people really don't care about the discomfort and health of others when they smoke around them. A law is stupid, sounds stupid, but what else could you do that hasn't been tried already? (An open question)

Kavawuvi likes this

I smoke (40 in about 2-5 days) I'm currently trying to quit but almost my entire group of friends do as well which makes it incredibly hard to stop.

I don't like smoking around people in public and if a family is walking past me i usually move out of their way because children shouldn't be exposed to it but they don't have the choice like adults do.

its a terrible habit and i honestly think pre made cigarets should be illegal with how many chemicals and shit they have in them, I think that would cut down consumption quite a lot. To keep the hardcore smokers and tobacco companies happy i think pouches of tobacco should still be sold but most people wouldn't continue if they had to roll their own.

I believe banning smoking in public should happen. Will it? Most likely not. Unfortunately.

Floofies likes this

PfXuCLa.png

I personally would love to see a world rid of cigarettes.  But it's a silly thing to demand every tobacco company be shut down and sticks you put in your mouth that slowly burn made illegal.  What I would, however, happily lobby for is increasing the distances and number of areas that smoking is restricted in.  Or at the very least, the rules we already have to be actually enforced.  For example, assholes that sit in drive-thru smoking and filling the building and kitchen area with their shit should know to knock it off.

I also love how literally every minor I've worked with, started smoking the instant they turned 18.  I have asked them why, and they almost always reply with something like "I dunno".

Edited by Skeezix the Cat
Kavawuvi likes this

oVoXWXc.png

I also love how literally every minor I've worked with, started smoking the instant they turned 18.  I have asked them why, and they almost always reply with something like "I dunno".

It's addictive thats why, I've been smoking for about 5 years now and im turning 19 in may its way too easy for minors to get their hands on the shit. and its not illegal to smoke under age just selling to an under age person (or buying for).

Floofies likes this

PfXuCLa.png

I personally would love to see a world rid of cigarettes.  But it's a silly thing to demand every tobacco company be shut down and sticks you put in your mouth that slowly burn made illegal.  What I would, however, happily lobby for is increasing the distances and number of areas that smoking is restricted in.  Or at the very least, the rules we already have to be actually enforced.  For example, assholes that sit in drive-thru smoking and filling the building and kitchen area with their shit should know to knock it off.

because you get free breaks if you smoke and work in food service

Floofies and Ryx like this

Doldrums.png

Tobacco is more than an respiratory irritant, it's a well known carcinogen/causes cancer. Second hand repeat inhalation exposure to tobacco smoke has been linked to increased prevalence of lung cancer and other complications so yes it should be heavily restricted (perhaps not full throttle illegal for reasons explained below) to limit general public exposure in high exposure places like enclosed areas/pubs/clubs. Chewing tobacco long term has a similar effect, potential for throat cancer but route of exposure and exposure to public is different so regulating this would differ. Enforcing restrictions is a slow and long process let alone an instant ban.

A far more interesting question is why isn't it illegal? The socio-economic impacts would be substantial since it's so ingrained as a common past time in society and a billion dollar industry. The tobacco industry would be outraged if their industry was shut down overnight and the whole "it's my body I'll do what I want" some smokers adopt. What governments are left to do in general is slap on graphic warning labels (at the Tobacco industry's dismay) for the public to take notice of the very real health effects and make an informed choice for themselves, provide health initiatives to guide willing smokers to quit, establish a slow phasing out initiative to limit exposure where necessary, restrict advertising promotions and heavily tax tobacco.

Personally, if anyone smokes in front of me, I'd consider it rude and I will walk away if I can.

Floofies likes this

Science stuff, just to clarify: The nicotine in a cigarette isn't a carcinogen and it is not linked to cancer, though it does make it addicting and raises blood pressure as well as doing a number of other things. It's the additives that the tobacco companies put in the cigarette that cause cancer.

Edited by 002
Kvasir and NeX like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0