What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Takka

Show Yourself!

1,122 posts in this topic

well no it's not quite like saying a violin is the same as a triangle...

if anything it's like saying a violin is the same as a cello

point being, two seperate instruments with two separate goals. Only similarity is the fact that they both use strings to make the sound.

Tiddy-bits:

point being, two seperate instruments with two separate goals. Only similarity is the fact that they both use strings to make the sound.

...wat. sure their 'goals' and play styles are different, but a bass is essentially a guitar, an octave down, minus the top one or two strings.

Kvasir likes this

m68Vl5E.jpg

...wat. sure their 'goals' and play styles are different, but a bass is essentially a guitar, an octave down, minus the top one or two strings.

...welp I play a bass as more of a percussion instrument. Keeping time. Setting down a grove.

Purely speaking in the construction of both instruments, they are extremely similar in the sense that they both use strings. Both have necks, both have bodies, etc... but thats about where the similarities end. A hybrid car and a race car are essentially the same. They both have 4 wheels and an engine connected using a transmission. But the two are extremely different because they are designed to do 2 different things.

I suppose I am arguing that the bass is closer to a drum set than a guitar, which for me it is (which I also play guitar and drums). Yes, my analogy was bad, but the point still stands for anyone who cares.

yeah except that they're also tuned exactly the same, have the exact same fret layout, harmonics, etc. if you were talking about like a sitar or something you'd be right, but once again, bass is essentially a guitar, tuned down an octave, minus 2 strings.

an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar sound different, play differently, and are used for different things. the way i strum an acoustic guitar makes it as much of a percussion instrument as anything else, whilst electric is used from anything from lead to atmosphere to rhythm to whatever the fuck you like. doesn't mean the two aren't essentially the same instrument.

m68Vl5E.jpg

...welp I play a bass as more of a percussion instrument. Keeping time. Setting down a grove.

You obviously never heard of rhythem guitar.

Also I play in drop C so I play in the tuning of a bass.

You obviously never heard of rhythem guitar.

Also I play in drop C so I play in the tuning of a bass.

wat...? bass tuning is eadg, same as guitar, just one octave down

Kvasir likes this

m68Vl5E.jpg