What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SnipeYa

Changing OS on laptop with broken screen

15 posts in this topic

Well the thing has windows 7 on it at the moment and the screen is busted, I want to load CentOS onto it and turn it into a minecraft server.

Problem is... The display doesn't load until windows boots, So i have no idea what the fuck i have to do in the bios.

Once i load CentOS on there ill just connect up via ssh and ftp so there's no real need for a display at all but i need the darn thing to work while i change bios settings load the OS and install the basics.

PfXuCLa.png

Tiddy-bits:

Can't you plug a monitor into it? It doesn't have a port for the monitor plugin?

This would be the easiest, so I'm going to assume he can't for some reason...

You could try plugging the hard drive into a different computer, and install it from there. That's how I managed to get ubuntu onto a laptop with no cd drive and no USB boot.

WaeV likes this

The problem is it doesn't seem to turn the monitor that's plugged in on till after the bios and once windows loads up.

And as for grabbing the hdd out, all i have is other laptops an that would be a huge pain in the ass.

EDIT:

Cant swap out the drives, The laptop with a broken screen has plug like two L's side by side and my other laptop has a plug with a bunch of contacts on either edge.

Turns out the person who took out the broken screen also grabbed the ram out of it, But for some odd reason it still reads that it has 512mb in it would the motherboard have some in built or something?

And which CPU is better? Intel Centrino or Centrino Duo? I can't find the specs for them both.

I really just want to have one good enough to run a Minecraft server i can play on locally and another running an apache server with mysql so i can have a test server without having to upload stuff (because my upstream connection is god awful).
Its a shame the older on has a smaller screen because i only use it via ssh i would have just donated the screen to the newer one and been able to format it, load the os and use it as the minecraft server.

Edited by SnipeYa

PfXuCLa.png

Woah. If it has no RAM then you can't really rely on it to be a server, let alone an MC server. It has some built in but nowhere near enough to run anything much.

The hard drive is using SATA, while the other laptops are using PATA. They are only compatible with a converter board.

Im going to grab some more ram for it from a friend tomorrow, Apache server is running on 1Gb total and hopefully i can get 1 or 2Gb stick for the Minecraft server, I've tested a the Minecraft server on my Apache Dev server and it runs well for a few hours then usualy either java or MC shits itself running out of memory.
Anyway thats a little of topic really, Cant swap out the drives and monitor wont load on startup not sure what to do.

Floofies likes this

PfXuCLa.png

Hmm. Have you tried getting into BIOS anyways? It's possible it will send a signal to the screen after BIOS loads, so try the F2/F12 and other function keys while it starts up. If not, I'd try wiping the CMOS settings and see if it clears up the issue.

Ive gotten into the bios originally but it didn't load the screen at all. I'll try the CMOS later, its 10 am and ive been up all night playing with it and cleaning my house so i can have a bunch of friends round while my mum go's on holiday.

PfXuCLa.png

Any update on the monitor issue? As what others suggested is what I've done in the past when I've come across a similar problem with success.

When you pop in the installation CD it should kick off the monitor when the screen would normally prompt to boot from CD so if you don't see anything, just wait a few seconds and hit enter and hopefully the timing is right. If that doesn't work then it sounds like maybe your GPU has some issues too.

It's still being an ass.
The thing is i need to change the boot order in the bios, but the monitor doesn't load until the operating system has for some stupid reason.

I've semi given up on it, Too much going on with life and study at the moment to be pissing about with it.

PfXuCLa.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0