What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icstars2

Are UFOs worthy of serious study by mainstream scientists?

43 posts in this topic

I agree on the, "this will probably not cure cancer" line of thinking. Let's leave it to the hobbyists for now. Nasa's budget is already almost as hard to prove the existence of as these UFO's are, without actually looking for UFO's

Edited by Luke

Tiddy-bits:

About as good as some early drone cameras. Apparently the camera set up is only about 200 dollars.

That's not a UFO, that's a ball of fire.

I believe we should consider investigating them because they're unidentifiable flying objects.. Everything that science has uncovered was unidentifiable before it was tested and confirmed. Isaac Newton believed there were laws of gravity... but they were unidentifiable to others before he made them identifiable: Newton's Laws of Gravity. Its the same with UFOs... people believe them to be real from either experiences or accounts of experiences but they've not been investigated fully so we don't know exactly what they are. We might be on the right track like Newton but until we prove it its useless to show to others because they are unlikely to believe you without evidence. So though UFOs can certainly be something until science takes the time to investigate they're just something in peoples minds...

Edited by Raptor
icstars2 and Risk like this

If aliens are here, they probably came from practically infinity away using unfathomable technology. I think such a people could evade observation if they wanted to. If they wanted to be seen, I don't think we'd have to look for them, and if they just don't care if they're seen, we're already fucked. 

But I think it's extremely unlikely that one of those stars out there produced a civilization which departed at the precise time & velocity, in our direction, to arrive now, or, that our planet is really all that interesting as opposed to other planets of other systems of other galaxies, to make the enormous effort of getting here. 

This topic has an interesting cold-war era spy-vs-spy discussion potential I may substitute in for this sentence after I get some sleep.

Edited by Chronocide

If aliens are here, they probably came from practically infinity away using unfathomable technology. I think such a people could evade observation if they wanted to. If they wanted to be seen, I don't think we'd have to look for them, and if they just don't care if they're seen, we're already fucked. 

But I think it's extremely unlikely that one of those stars out there produced a civilization which departed at the precise time & velocity, in our direction, to arrive now, or, that our planet is really all that interesting as opposed to other planets of other systems of other galaxies, to make the enormous effort of getting here. 

This topic has an interesting cold-war era spy-vs-spy discussion potential I may substitute in for this sentence after I get some sleep.

I wouldn't be so quick to speculate so deeply.

Assuming they came from the distance of "infinity", they would most likely have to defy the laws of physics to even observe our planet from their home world to know there's anything worth observing here. Let alone the speed and energy required to travel from point A to point B.

How come we care so very much about the universe, which is ultimately completely unreachable by feasible technology, and so very little about our own oceans.

Why is it we look to the skies hoping to find something that is so far away that, even if we could prove it's existence, we could never reach, and never establish reasonable communication with. These things are lightyears away, meaning even if we created an unfathomably large spotlight and managed to teach these foreign creatures a form of communication, it would still take YEARS to send even a "Hey". And then YEARS to get their reply of "What's up."

The ocean covers 71 percent of the Earth's surface and contains 97 percent of the planet's water, yet more than 95 percent of the underwater world remains unexplored.

signature2.png

How come we care so very much about the universe, which is ultimately completely unreachable by feasible technology, and so very little about our own oceans.

Why is it we look to the skies hoping to find something that is so far away that, even if we could prove it's existence, we could never reach, and never establish reasonable communication with. These things are lightyears away, meaning even if we created an unfathomably large spotlight and managed to teach these foreign creatures a form of communication, it would still take YEARS to send even a "Hey". And then YEARS to get their reply of "What's up."

Pressures in the ocean can reach up to 8 Tons/psi. Pressure of that magnitude is generally destructive, meanwhile in space there is no pressure. While this does not negate other dangers, it is very significant. Exploring space will always be easier than exploring the oceans, and it will continue to get even more easier as technology advances and permanent habitats are established. Also consider the percentage of the universe we have explored, and it is even less.

Realistically, ignoring sci-fi fantasies, we'll never leave this solar system. We can't bend time, we can't go faster than light, and pretending we can is just pretending.

So with that said, where do you want a colony? Mars perhaps, where the air is gone and the temperature has no constant? Where an electric failure could kill an entire city? Or maybe on something like Neptune, so far from the sun that the same problems occur. And even then, these colonies just allow us to continue over-populating and stripping planets, instead of fixing the problem at the source. What kills us on earth is either Human-Caused, or an explosion of the sun. And if the sun goes poof all those other planets will to.

We can't keep things on planet earth running smoothly. It's all good in theory, sure. But theory accounts for human perfection. We're not. We actually kinda suck at almost everything. What happens when the lazy engineer who hates his job and doesn't get paid enough doesn't double check that he tightened all the bolts down right?

Our oceans are right there. There's history in them, a group of guys pulled an extinct species out of it. What was sleeping 200ft below? How about 10,000ft below? There are cities underwater all over the <5% we've explored. How much more of our past is hiding down there. Ancient ships filled with gold, lost treasures.

I'm all for looking out there, I'm all for exploring it to. I want to know what's out there more than most people, I dream of it. But realistically there's not much to find. Finding some nifty fungus that can survive is pretty much the end game. If there are Aliens, they'll need to come to us. And if they make it to us, it won't be to sit and have lunch. We have three valuable things on this planet; minerals, water, and free labor.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

signature2.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0