What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
icstars2

What should the ideal drinking age be?

17 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

I think that all of this should be based off of a scientific perspective in every country. I mean there is a certain point in life where when you turn a specific age, that stuff wont affect you mentally or physically as much as it would a 15 year old.

I agree, though we don't stop growing (mentally) until 23-25 typically.

I found this to be very informative and interesting:

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~dcare/pdfs/Jernigan.pdf

Quite interesting. For those put off by the 81 pages, it reads like a powerpoint so it isn't that bad.

343OrM8.jpg?1

If you can die for your country, you should legally be able to drink.

That said, the age to be able to enlist should probably be higher as well, at least for high risk or front-line positions.

Chronocide, WaeV, Krazychic and 1 other like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter if it is changed or not. Under aged drinking still goes on, its everywhere here in college. For me, it boils down to responsibility and knowing your limit. My dad's old high school buddy, who is 50, is an alcoholic and he went to prison for 3 years because of DWI/DUI. Knowing your limits when you drink is also a good way to stay out of trouble. Ill have a set number of drinks when I go out and ill be done.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't matter how old you really are. If you can be responsible, know your limits, and not be reckless, its fine with me

Krazychic likes this

88x31_03.gif

EveSig.png

lolhit.gif

Me and Tucker933 Fighting

I think that all of this should be based off of a scientific perspective in every country. I mean there is a certain point in life where when you turn a specific age, that stuff wont affect you mentally or physically as much as it would a 15 year old.

I agree that scientific and developmental reasons are worth considering. I also wonder about pragmatic concerns, such as rounding to 19+ instead of 18+ to help keep substances out of high schools.

A better form of the question would be: At what age is a person considered 'mature' enough to take specific chemicals into their body? Alcohol isn't that special.

Really good point. I'm going to tentatively suggest 19 here (for all substances, including tobacco)

Floofies likes this

I think we all know a mid 20-year old that's as mature as an 8 year old, and those mid-teens that are more mature than most adults. Therefore, it seems rather difficult to guess how mature the average standard is the best. For example, I'm 18, but am now a college sophomore - nearly a junior. Does this mean I should be able to drink, while other's cannot? My maturity level - despite what most members may think - is rather high compared to other people of my age.

(I drink regardless of it being legal, though not often, as previously brought up - my girlfriend is 22 so it doesn't make much difference)

Edit: I swear I haven't been drinking, but I couldn't word this very well

343OrM8.jpg?1

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0