Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for gamers and technology enthusiasts, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NeX

Selenium

32 posts in this topic

teh_lag is my muthafuckin hero yo

his anim's are literally the SHIT. The hijacking ones he did for OS were absolutely beautiful. Not to mention all the different standard ones you don't even think about in the SPv3 maps, different rigging for all the separate bipeds. Crazy shiz, yo.

KsqHutE.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Alrighty, I've made it a bit better for gameplay with some balancing, should be all set for gameplay :)

I've updated the link in the original post, should be correct now. I may continue to update it, depending on how popular it becomes, but for now I think I'm done with it, seeing as it was just an experiment anyway.

Thanks for all the help and support guys, it means a lot!

WaeV likes this

KsqHutE.png

Played with you guys today and its friggin awesome.....thanks for the headsup. Will always be in for a game, just hit me up on x-fire :)

NeX likes this

Rumors are carried by haters
Spread by fools
and
Accepted by idiots

I don't often download others mods, but I'm glad I downloaded Selenium, Bloodgulch looks and feels great, some areas aren't even recognisable. However there are a few bugs I feel that should be fixed/improved.

Da list

• Conflicting HUDs - CMT's Brute plasma weapons, and BR HUD don't match the rest of the hud
  • Missing weapon icon/strings on hud
  • Fog - areas of the bsp disappear 

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the white mountain in the skybox (especially after its negroplasty).

NeX likes this

I don't often download others mods, but I'm glad I downloaded Selenium, Bloodgulch looks and feels great, some areas aren't even recognisable. However there are a few bugs I feel that should be fixed/improved.

Da list

• Conflicting HUDs - CMT's Brute plasma weapons, and BR HUD don't match the rest of the hud
  • Missing weapon icon/strings on hud
  • Fog - areas of the bsp disappear 

Also, I'm not a huge fan of the white mountain in the skybox (especially after its negroplasty).

Yup, all stuff that would take a decent amount of time to fix, and I really don't feel like doin'. Here's the rundown though, since those are all valid points (and they do bug me, I promise)

• Conflicting HUDs : In order to have the ammo counters sync up with a "default" look, I would need to duplicate some existing ones, and add some custom bitmaps. Not a huge deal, BUT, I made this in HEK, and then did some tweaking with PC tools, since HEK is better for heavy lifting, but I like PC tools in that I can do edits on an already compiled cache file. I would most likely use a tweaked needler HUD for the Spiker, regular plasma pistol for the brute plasma pistol, PR for the Brute PR, etc etc. Tried it already with the Battle Rifle, but for some reason the ammo counters won't sync until reload time - there's no realtime updating. Not sure what that's about, but hey. Only reason I did that was because the CMT HUD exception'd out when you hit the 8x zoom, and there was no way to remove it down to only 1 zoom level for some reason. Very odd issue. It's fixed with the current jerry-rigging, but with the con that the ammo isn't synced, and there's a 60-bullet meter as opposed to 36.

The main issue comes from the conversion process from CE->PC->MD, in that the map can no longer be rebuilt in eschaton without breaking. No clue why. I wanted to move asset placement around in sparkedit, and even those small edits completely break the map, instant Exception when you open it. That leaves me with the sole option of rebuilding what I have in the HEK and re-converting, but the way DOBCs work with multiple BSPs is EXTREMELY tricky. Half the time after building the map in tool, the DOBCs all disappear and the counts reset to 0 in sapien. It takes a few hours to "paint" the grass onto the map for both BSPs, since I can't just do it on one, and it needs to match up to not look silly. The problem with rebuilding is, that even if the grass stayed the same, I'd have to redo all of the edits I've made since in Eschaton and HMT, etc, and honestly, that's hours and hours of work that I just don't feel is worth the small "inconsistencies".

• Missing icons/strings - This one is just an oversight on my part. I could have easily added the strings into the USTR list before compiling the map in HEK, I just forgot. That one's on me. But like above, it's a "simple" fix, but the implications are so much work for such a tiny problem, and one that's really only visual. I may look into tweaking some values to correspond to a similar weapon, or internalizing a bitmap (since I can't expand in Eschaton without breaking it, i'll use a standard internalizer that works on a pre-build cache file), and selecting the correct sequence index. I'll give it a shot since that's only a few minutes in photoshop and a quick injection of the bitmap file. I'll look into it and report back.

• The fog was added later (with correct coloring of course, blueish for night, greenish for the day, just a "haze" under the trees), to account for the balance issues I encountered while testing. This map was supposed to be more for close to medium range fighting, which is why I removed zoom on pistol, and gave it heavy kick, and lowered the damage on the Battle Rifle. Sniping and Long Range attacks must be made from a relatively fixed location, and with all the trees and coverage, sniping is largely impractical. HOWEVER, I found that without the fog at its current levels, spawn killing was still an issue - and without doing some dumb spawn-protection, there wasn't a good way to prevent it other than to keep your line of sight relatively low. It also adds to the ambiance of the forest-y feel, in my opinion. I may change the opacity and density to see if I can make it less of a "cut off" so to speak, and more of a smooth transition, but the fog will definitely stay, and the opaque distance will also stay to about 60% map distance, so that base-base sniping is impossible (without a bot or really good reflexes for red-reticles), and hill-base spawn sniping is impractical.

• White Mountain skybox was just an afterthought. I thought about making it the same red rock that BG is, or even changing BG to a different shade, but since Selenium is meant to be a little oasis is the middle of a mountain range, seeing a snow covered mountain outside your temperate/humid valley is actually pretty believable. This one might be something I look into though, maybe different rock shades.

Long story short, this map was a giant experiment with dual-BSP script/UI switching and Detail Objects. I only finished it because it actually was pretty fun to play (and still remains some of the most solid gameplay I've had. If I was motivated to really get good at effects and particles, I would change it to be more like Phoenix with custom weapons, like Voodoo, but good lol.) I do think this and Phoenix would compliment each other because they're so drastically different in gameplay and the style of map. Obviously this isn't near the same quality, being a simple experiment I gave some playability, but they're made for different audiences and with different methods and means :) (I don't want to overstep bounds by saying this is remotely in the same ballpark as the Phoenix Series).

Part of the reason I made it "playable" and balanced it enough to be fun, was to see if there was any kind of desire for it to be completed with quality. If I get enough people downloading it and enjoying it in its current form, I may consider fixing some of the big issues with it, but as things stand, the remaining problems are very small and almost exclusively cosmetic in nature. I'll give some quick HUD switches a try, along with playing around with fog, etc, like I said above, but I'm going to avoid having to redo things from HEK like the plague hahaha.

Sorry for the novel, by the way, I just wanted to actually reply with reasons because the points you bring up are extremely valid, and they do irk me, but again, the small results for the amount of work it would take to fix them, is just not worth it to me. I still need to get back into Revolution (which will now feature dual BSPs on all outdoor/open sky maps, as long as it doesn't exception in a stock server), and I think I've already spent far too long on this particular pet project.

Thanks for the download, though, I'd look forward to maybe having some more people try it in an actual game setting, rather than just a single test run for cosmetics :)

Edited by NeX
WaeV, Sceny and Tucker933 like this

KsqHutE.png

Shout out to DeadHampster and CeralKiller for the help with that - it's simple, and elegant for a solution, but I may as well have tried to climb Everest as a paraplegic for all the good it would have done me without their tutorials and help.

I helped with that...?

I mean of course, yes. I definitely remember that happening.....

But the mod looks great. I'm a little behind the times, but yeah, good work man.

Edited by DeadHamster
NeX and Tucker933 like this

Theres your problem. It will work fine on a PC.

All that means there is a great chance something in the mod is broken : ). It's not too hard to do it the other way around too.

Yeah, I'm honestly not sure what happened. Maybe MD doesn't like dual BSP maps, I'm not sure. That's the only thing I can think of that's any different from the countless other MD conversions I've done. 

I start with the CE constructed map, I convert via Harbinger to PC format. I then open an OSX Snow Leopard VM and use MDRenamer to get it to MD. I tried using Pearl2, but was never able to get it to work, nor was I able to get any kind of support for my issue, so I just installed a VM and did the Harbinger middle man. I even tried Pearl2 on OSX but it didn't work, and I feel odd using mac. It's like going from a government institution in the US to a weirdly sterile hospital where all the doors are locked and everyone in a white coat has a creepy smile on their face. I never close my VM without having a grotesque shudder.

Other than that, i'm not sure what the problem would be.

KsqHutE.png