Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
NeX

Selenium

32 posts in this topic

I think Modzy knows how to debug such things.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

Tiddy-bits:

I think Modzy knows how to debug such things.

Yeah, no offense to him but he kinda snubbed it. I asked him about the issue (because everyone circlejerked on his virtual business card and handed it to me still dripping), and he asked me a few questions. Apparently I wasn't doing anything blatantly "wrong" because there wasn't a quick "oh just press X" or "Run as Admin", and then I never heard about it again. I bumped it, but still nothin'. So I just moved on and went around it. As far as I've seen Pearl2 is pretty much just bytes of text on my computer. I'll give it a shot on my new laptop though, since I haven't tried it there yet. Will report back.

**by the way I'm not trying to slam Modzy here, he's a cool guy and doesn't afraid of anything. Just never got any help, probably busy**

KsqHutE.png

I was referring to the map not being able to run on Mac, rather than anything Pearl related.

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

I dunno. I'd hand out the original CE file, but it wouldn't be of much use. I did a lot of editing in Eschaton, since with Selenium I wasn't really that comfortable with the HEK yet.

**edit**

However, I did notice something odd: I was going to add in a quick sound tag that I had forgotten to put in before I converted in using MDRenamer, and upon rebuilding, Eschaton would crash each time. CE->PC, then expand and rebuild worked fine, but once it was PC->MD it freaked out Eschaton for some reason.

Edited by NeX

KsqHutE.png

If someone tells me how dobc's work in compiled maps I could probably add a grass tool to Archon.

(Like, x,y,z, coord offsets of cells etc)

WaeV likes this

I'm not sure how good of an explanation I could give, I assumed he wanted more technical aspects. I mean, feel free to download Selenium and parse it over to see what/where the DOBC tags are and whatnot. 

Um, I guess they're basically sprite images that have no collision, and appear anchored at the center of the bitmap. The transparency of it sort of makes the image detach from the background so it seems more natural and not a flat square. They rotate similar to some contrails to be viewer or screen-facing always, and the z-offset can be set within the dobc tag itself, to anchor them below or above the bsp ground point they attach to.  Erm....I know the cells and their locations are based off of a grid that is started with the placement of the first DOBC tag....if I clear the map of dobc tags in sapien, and then place a new "1st" one on the clean BSP, it will start a cell there, with a different xyz than the last time, though cells stay the same dimensions. Also, theres no "hard limit" on how many DOBC per map or per BSP you can have, that I know of. Instead each BSP is divided into these cells and the limit per cell is 4000. So technically there is a hard limit, but it varies map to map based on sizes. However, too many dobc tags means lots of moving textures, and a decent drop in FPS on lower end machines.

Lets see...anything else I can think of....um the way they're put onto the BSP in Sapien is through a brush-like tool, which has settings for its radius as well as the "density" of the objects it's painting. Unfortunately even the lowest density of 1 is extremely tight packed for any decently sized bitmap, so it can appear to overlay. Also, things like the flag, skull, and shield glows can be seen from behind the dobcs, so if I were to "hide" in tall grass, they would block my view of the environment, but I could still track you if your shields were pinged, or if you had the flag. Some scenery peeks through, too. The DOBC tags sometimes if stacked too thickly can obscure even the ground, leading to a "sea of grass" like effect which basically instead of seeing all of the one near you and only the tip of the next one, etc, you wind up with the bitmap tiled across all the dobc tags in your view. It's very odd and not easy to explain, sorry for the lack of detail.

That's about all I've got, anyone feel free to take it from there or clarify. I think Inigo knows a good bit about them, too, he may have a few things to add

WaeV and Samuco like this

KsqHutE.png

They use both the BSP and the Scenario tags. You'll have to load up the BSP for the placements, and the Scenario for what they are. Not that it matters since you're already using both tags.

The scenario has reflexives for the reference of the DOBC tags.

Unfortunately the values for the DOBC reflexives in the SBSP are a mystery. In Kornman each one is labeled with a ?, so you'd be hard pressed to find what each value controls, especially without using the HEK to play around with it.

The DOBC in SBSP is structured as a reflexive, inside each reflexive are 4 more reflexives. Named Cells, Instances, Counts and Z-Reference Vectors.

Cells has 4 shorter edit-fields, and 3 longer ones. I assume that it'll have 4 of the same type of integer, and 3 of a different type.

Instances has 5 of the shorter edit fields

Counts has 1 of the shorter edit fields

Z-Reference Vectors has 4 edit fields even longer then the 2 in cells.

So it goes;

Count 4 short 3 Long

Instances 5 Short

Counts 1 Short

Z-Reference 4 Longest

Best of luck.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
Samuco likes this

signature2.png

Does each dobc placed constitute a new tag? If so, we may need to understand rebuilding in order to add new dobc tags at will.

Ah, Inigo's post helps to clarify.

Edited by WaeV
Samuco likes this

NO, as far as I can tell one DOBC tag is simply referenced by the BSP at each new instance, similar to the way scenery is referenced with different location information. It treats the two remarkable similarly, however DOBC are forced to the ground of the BSP, you cant stick them on the wall, for instance. If you wanted to, you'd have to place them at a ground point, z-up, then increase Z offset (which affects all of those DOBC tags, so each wall detail object with a different height offset would be its own tag) by the amount you need, and then have the bitmap be "sideways" so that it looks right. Very janky, do not recommend.

WaeV and Samuco like this

KsqHutE.png

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0