Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShikuTeshi

Path of Exile (PC)

Path-of-Exile-The-Awakening-Goes-Into-Cl

You play as one, or all, of the six available exiles in the game. Each with their own little background and story, all with the same outcome. They have all been exiled to the malevolent world of Wraeclast. To survive, you must become the top of the food chain. There are supernatural creatures, horrid abominations, and dark hearts lingering around every corner waiting to tear you apart. However you are not alone. There are other exiles that share a common interest in surviving. Whether you work together or take each others lives is up to you. Some have forged small communities and will help you along your road, guiding you forward. But... there is something hidden in Wraeclast... something... dark... scheming... watching... You will move to uncover this darkness, remove it, make Wraeclast your home, and your domain.

What makes PoE different from the RPG competition?

Check this spoiler tab...

7QeaYe4.jpg

Want to explore that ridiculousness yourself? Here you go...

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree

What you just saw is the passive tree in Path of Exile. Unlike many other RPG's that have a +/- button next to your normal Str, Dex, Int stats, Path of Exile makes it a big deal.

How you progress through the passive tree will make or break a character build. It is one of the 3 important factors to having a functional character. Your starting point on the tree is relevant to your character.

Gear in the game is the the 2nd most important factor in the game. How much life, mana, defense, elemental resistance, movement speed, and any other imaginable stat is greatly influenced by your gear. As important as the passive tree is, it is only as good as the gear it can buff. Gear in Path of Exile function similarly to other RPG games with different Tier levels.

White gear are common items

Blue gear are magic items

Yellow gear are rare items

Brown gear are unique items

The first three items function as normal items that are stronger than the previous tier. Usually.

Brown items known as unique often have special traits only found on that item. This can be used to create very cool, powerful, and creative character builds.

Skills. Unlike any many RPG's, Path of Exile does not allocate points into learning skills. Skills are obtained in the form of gems. Equipping gems will allow you to utilize the described skill as long as the necessary requirements are met. This allows you to use and skill gem on any character class.

Skill gems are used by linking them into your equipment. Your equipment have a set number of sockets that will allow you to equip skill gems and use them. The number of sockets on an item can be changed with in-game items. One my be asking why skills need to be equipped into your gear. Depending on how good your gear is, they can link skill gems together with support gems. Support gems alter skill gems to do very creative things. To get an idea, here's a video.

The trading system.

There is no "currency" in the game. At least not what you are probably used to. There's no gold to be found anywhere. Instead, Path of Exile uses a barter system to fit in with the game scenario. The items known as currency or have any true value are those that alter item stats. With the many different kinds of items that alter gear stats, they can be seen as Coins and Dollars in our economy. Other than that people will trade gear for gear, skills for gear, items for currency

Other Features

Path of Exile contains a couple other features and more have been announced to come in a later expansion.

PvP is a common element in RPG games. But instead of who has the better class, its about who has the better character build. At the moment PvP is not a huge aspect in the game, and can be done at any time with no penalties.

Hideouts are the latest feature to Path of Exile at the time of this post. This is your own home that can be customized as much as you like. Decorations follow a precise grid and have no item limitations as far as I am aware. So if you want to infest your hideout with bushes and plants at every step then go on ahead.

Path of Exile is a vast and creative game with endless replay ability. A true Free-to-Play game with the only thing keeping it alive are supporter packs and in-game micro-transaction to aesthetics. It offers a compelling story with extra lore to be found.

Tiel and Tucker933 like this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

This review doesn't quite do the game justice.

Yeah I'll have to update it. This was when I only had about 100 hours in. I'm about 1,500 hours logged now.

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet