What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kavawuvi

Windows takes longer than it should to start up

30 posts in this topic

So, I've got Windows 7 installed (thanks a ton, WaeV). It runs really well; everything runs just perfectly, though. All of my Steam games run at a very smooth framerate without any graphical problems. In fact, the performance on these games is sometimes even better or at least comparable to OS X.

However, there is one thing that is amiss, which is absolutely annoying. Windows 7 takes a long time (19 seconds according to stopwatch) to boot, where OS X takes only 8 seconds to boot on the same computer. I know next to nothing about Windows 7 (I just expect it to work on its own), but I understand that Solid State Drives should have the same performance throughout the entire drive, so Windows 7 should be much faster than this.

Some of the basic specifications here...

- Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

- Intel i7 2.0GHz

- 256GB Solid-State Drive

- 8GB 1600MHz DDR3

I've tried searching Google for help on this and I couldn't find much help, plus you guys know a lot about Windows 7. I don't know anything of what's wrong, and I've run out of things to explain, so ask questions I can respond to. Please help! Thanks.

Edited by 002

Tiddy-bits:

What's the speed of the drive?

I'm quite unsure how fast it is or how to find this out.

ed: If OS X takes only 8 seconds to boot, I just assume it to be "fast". Sorry to be clueless. :(

click start

search msconfig

and disable some start up programs

Which ones are safe to disable? There's quite a few. As I said, I know nothing about Windows 7, so you can't just expect me to know which is what...

Edited by 002

19 seconds isn't THAT long. Are you timing just until the login screen, or until you have logged in and the desktop is fully loaded?

Windows 8 has a much faster boot time, but I expect you won't want to pay to upgrade.

Ohhh I see, this is a fresh install and you want to optimize the boot time?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/optimize-windows-better-performance#optimize-windows-better-performance=windows-7

This might help.

What also helps is optimizing the drive for faster performance, but I think that's only for platter based drives...

I'll try looking at this.

19 seconds isn't THAT long. Are you timing just until the login screen, or until you have logged in and the desktop is fully loaded?

Windows 8 has a much faster boot time, but I expect you won't want to pay to upgrade.

If OS X takes 8 seconds to load, 19 seconds is too long for Windows 7, thus there must be a problem. In my opinion, it should take no more than 12 seconds...

ed: I'll buy Windows 8 sometime later this month, probably. I'm not that cheap.

show me a screencap of the startup list.

I'll get a screencap soon today. All of a sudden, I've got to do a bajillion things. :/

Edited by 002

If OS X takes 8 seconds to load, 19 seconds is too long for Windows 7, thus there must be a problem.

Yeah but you're benchmarking Apple's latest OS against Microsoft's older OS. Windows 8 boots faster than Windows 7 as a rule; they really optimized it for that. There's only so much I think you'll be able to do with Windows 7, I think.

Floofies and Pfhunkie like this

Yeah but you're benchmarking Apple's latest OS against Microsoft's older OS. Windows 8 boots faster than Windows 7 as a rule; they really optimized it for that. There's only so much I think you'll be able to do with Windows 7, I think.

I did a little bit of looking around and apparently my school's PC Hardware/Support class includes a free download of Windows 8 Pro (and Windows 8.1 now). I'll try that, then...

Best part is I get to keep it after the class. It's not a trial.

Edited by 002
WaeV likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0