Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Samuco

Archon

140 posts in this topic

I beg to differ. I prefer not seeing the average person joining a public game to mess it up.

So just release it as source code! Have a separate, abandoned branch with these edits on it. The average person can't get Swordedit compiling, let me tell you.

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

So just release it as source code! Have a separate, abandoned branch with these edits on it. The average person can't get Swordedit compiling, let me tell you.

Possibly may be alright, i'll leave that judgement to whoever. Just to let you know though, I once gave a random nobody info on how to access some player info in memory, and shortly after released a working aimbot on a couple of forums -- they stole the code I had written too (it was GPL'ed).

I once gave a random nobody info on how to access some player info in memory, and shortly after released a working aimbot on a couple of forums -- they stole the code I had written too (it was GPL'ed).

I see your point, but Halo already has aimbots.

Actually, I would find it kinda cool if someone developed this into working AI players.

NeX likes this

Actually....well....I know there's a game (and maybe others) called BlackLight Retribution, where in some servers, the game is kept at 16 active bodies - if there are only 8 players, it fills 8 slots with bots. Then people replace the bots as they join, or vice versa, but it keeps it a nice target rich environment, and people are less likely to just quit because it drops to 4 players, since the bots aren't as good, but they aren't terrible either. The main problem I think would be the one that CE had with AI not syncing across the server/client connection. I know some claim to have gotten past that, but every instance I remember of those claims ended up either being scrapped or simply not released, which tends to make me more skeptical. I feel like with that many people looking into it, if it was doable, it probably would have been done within 10 years of release of the game. Not that it's impossible, but I'd bet it's no simple undertaking.

KsqHutE.png

I mean there is no syncing AI in the traditional sense, however if you had a bot playing on a client and join the game as a player, it would sync it as if it were just another player.

NeX likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

I suppose if you wanted to go full out, you could use a multiclient tool to add players dynamically based on the server information, and keep it at 15 instead of 16, that way any time a player joined, you would boot a bot, so that it stayed at 16, and if it was quick enough, theoretically no one would get the full server message until there were 16 real players. Then when player count drops to >15, open a multiclient to the server directly, complete with bot. interesting idea for sure, but i'd have no idea how to implement it.

KsqHutE.png

The 'bots' can be considered as real players (so no AI syncing issues). They are pretty much fully scriptable. 

The bots can request game information (like amount of players) so they could leave or join depending on whether there were free spots.

Im just a bit hesitant releasing the code as there are a LOT of flaws in the netcode (speedhax / teleporting anyone?)

Edited by Samuco

would you be able to assign them player attributes, such as a name, score, etc? It'd be nice if they were named something like "bot1", etc, to  let players know that they aren't human (if it's not obvious)

KsqHutE.png

The bots are essentially players so they have names (currently Wolf 1, Wolf 2, ...), individual scores, and work on any server.

TCK likes this