What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Solaris

Ridiculous Temps With New Thermal Paste

25 posts in this topic

Yeah, and bad design on ASUS' part.  Instead of putting the components facing up where heat rises, they're mounted on the bottom, facing down, where the heat just sits there; which is what I think the majority of the issue was. The casing itself didn't have any kind of airflow, which also presented an issue. Today I got a different brand of thermal pads, which worked well for a couple of minutes and I had it idling at 50c (which I was really fucking excited about). After loading up Garrys Mod as a test, it went up into the 100's and didn't go back down. Which is why I think your theory is correct.

However, before I threw it out today, I decided to run it until it literally almost caught on fire. I had the temps climb up to 170c (338 F) before I started to smell burning plastic for shits and giggles. Then I salvaged the parts and dumped it for the next trash pickup.

I learned a lesson though. DONT BUY A FUCKING LAPTOP FOR GAMES.

Holy fuck, I thought you guys were joking about the "house fire" thing, that's craycray!

Kvasir likes this

Tiddy-bits:

Don't most CPUs have safeties that automatically shuts down the system once a certain temperature is reached?  Or is that a relatively new feature?

oVoXWXc.png

Don't most CPUs have safeties that automatically shuts down the system once a certain temperature is reached?  Or is that a relatively new feature?

CPUs, yes. GPUs, no. At least mine didn't.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0