What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Solaris

Ridiculous Temps With New Thermal Paste

25 posts in this topic

Went and installed the new cooling pads for the GPU and it only made this issue worse. The CPU is now at a manageable level as far as temps go, but this isn't even a minute after loading up Firefox.

7sYKXFL.png

Idle temps for the GPU are around 70c.

It's getting to the point where I'm done dumping money into this thing and just using my shit computer for internet. I can't even use a web browser on this ffs.

I can't afford a decent desktop at the moment either, which is why this is really irritating.

Edit: This is only 30 seconds into GTA SA.

LGPYXPd.png

Bumping with the image of current heatsink setup. It's not much and it used to work really well.

LuqodLq.jpg

And here's the laptop just sitting on idle with the replacement pads.

mxm93zu.png

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

Tiddy-bits:

Have you checked the CPU usage when the laptop's idle? Also, try disabling desktop composition/Aero (assuming it's enabled) to see if that helps with the idle GPU temperatures.

From what I've gathered so far, attempting to cool the laptop makes it hotter.  For shits'n'giggles, try making it hotter to see if it gets cooler.  It's just crazy enough to work.

WaeV, Solaris and Sceny like this

oVoXWXc.png

From what I've gathered so far, attempting to cool the laptop makes it hotter.  For shits'n'giggles, try making it hotter to see if it gets cooler.  It's just crazy enough to work.

Infact, it might. Someone mentioned to me that copper shims might do the trick as far as heat transfer from the chips to the heatsinks. Pads will only absorb that heat.
WaeV likes this

Update: Copper shims didn't do shit.

Update: Copper shims didn't do shit.

Does unused thermal paste go bad? How long have you had yours? I've noticed my paste gets really wet and watery after a few years...

Does unused thermal paste go bad? How long have you had yours? I've noticed my paste gets really wet and watery after a few years...

I just got it in the mail a week before I got the shims today.

Edit: Good news, though. I won't have to use the shitty Celery desktop. I got my Dell Latitude D520 working. For some reason, the LCD had a really shitty connection, which I was dumb enough to not check first, but hindsight is 20/20. Despite the shitty GPU, I can deal with this.

YF3JdWr.png

Floofies likes this

From my limited understanding of the transfer of heat, the fact that after starting up the temps are okay but only after an amount of time they get hot tells me that the heat isn't being removed from the heatsink fast enough and once the upper limit of heat is stored in said heat repository, it has nowhere to go and sits on the components themselves.  My friend has a laptop with a dead fan, and he manages to keep to the 40s simply by keeping the laptop on a milk crate with a fan underneath, blowing on the bottom of the laptop.  With the covers off, of course.

Solaris, WaeV, Kvasir and 1 other like this

oVoXWXc.png

From my limited understanding of the transfer of heat, the fact that after starting up the temps are okay but only after an amount of time they get hot tells me that the heat isn't being removed from the heatsink fast enough and once the upper limit of heat is stored in said heat repository, it has nowhere to go and sits on the components themselves.  My friend has a laptop with a dead fan, and he manages to keep to the 40s simply by keeping the laptop on a milk crate with a fan underneath, blowing on the bottom of the laptop.  With the covers off, of course.

Yeah, and bad design on ASUS' part.  Instead of putting the components facing up where heat rises, they're mounted on the bottom, facing down, where the heat just sits there; which is what I think the majority of the issue was. The casing itself didn't have any kind of airflow, which also presented an issue. Today I got a different brand of thermal pads, which worked well for a couple of minutes and I had it idling at 50c (which I was really fucking excited about). After loading up Garrys Mod as a test, it went up into the 100's and didn't go back down. Which is why I think your theory is correct.

However, before I threw it out today, I decided to run it until it literally almost caught on fire. I had the temps climb up to 170c (338 F) before I started to smell burning plastic for shits and giggles. Then I salvaged the parts and dumped it for the next trash pickup.

I learned a lesson though. DONT BUY A FUCKING LAPTOP FOR GAMES.

WaeV and Floofies like this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0