What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terry

What Languages Are You Familiar With?

65 posts in this topic

Treating HTML as a programming language isn't really a fair comparison. It's more like a tool for building the structure of your final product.

HTML is markup, not programming. :P

Tiddy-bits:

Treating HTML as a programming language isn't really a fair comparison. It's more like a tool for building the structure of your final product.

He didn't say anything about treating it as a programming language. The topic and section are for any sort of coding.

Kavawuvi likes this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

He didn't say anything about treating it as a programming language. The topic and section are for any sort of coding.

I'm just going to blame that on sleep deprivation. Regardless of that I've seen the "web languages are for amateurs" argument everywhere (not specifically here) lately.

Regardless of that I've seen the "web languages are for amateurs" argument everywhere (not specifically here) lately.

Ohhhh, I see. I wasn't meaning that at all. It was probably the most challenging thing I've ever done web-development wise. I was simply saying that the syntax and general form of the language seemed a lot easier than some others I've seen.

Eh, I'm wary of people that say HTML/CSS 100%. I'm sure you've learned enough to make a site with pretty basic layout/etc. I've been doing CSS/HTML for at least 4 years now, and I'm learning shit every day. 

Honestly CSS is getting really really powerful. Animations, transforms, media queries, typography, etc. It's VAST. You only need to know maybe 25% of CSS to make an OK layout, but that's just the beginning. 

HTML is hardly a mark up language these days. Web component support, canvas, etc. It's getting incredibly complicated. 

I'll argue with anyone that says web languages are for amateurs. They really aren't, and I'm of the belief that many employers want more than just a "language" out of you. They want a designer, someone that knows a bit of server side, front end developer, etc. 

swamp, WaeV, Takka and 1 other like this

PWccHNo.png

I'll argue with anyone that says web languages are for amateurs. They really aren't, and I'm of the belief that many employers want more than just a "language" out of you. They want a designer, someone that knows a bit of server side, front end developer, etc. 

I'd argue that this used to be true back in the dotcom bubble of the 90's. In 1999 designing a website was like designing a brochure.

Floofies likes this

That's true, but you have to be flexible. For example, front end web devs have to understand UX/UI to an extant as well as HTML/CSS and a mastery of Javascript. 

Then there's the monsters... full stack developers.

PWccHNo.png

I don't think "full stack developers" really exist...

The tools used to develop for the web are truly awful, but still very useful. At least that is how I look at it.

I decided to give Apple's Swift a try. Instead of writing a "Hello World" application, I wrote an MD renamer that also lists all of the map's tags' paths, using only the Swift language. The Swift language was made to avoid pointers, and maps are full of pointers and pointer arithmetic, making it a little stressful just to get to find the map's index. I couldn't resist, though...

Back to using C for Halo maps. Phew.

Edited by 002
WaeV likes this

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0