Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo Custom Edition and MCC modding, with unique means of rewarding content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! - EST. 2012

NeX

Halo: Revolution

1,011 posts in this topic

TBH shields should be 1/3 of what health is; humans (especially S2s) were pretty armored because their energy shield technology wasn't as efficient, and Covenant wore lighter armor because their energy shields were so thick.

TBH for this project i'm more interested in gameplay than lore. Im not going to make the elite biped different than the spartan because of lore either

KsqHutE.png

Tiddy-bits:

NeX, so I'm currently working on the weapon pickup icons bitmap(s) for my mods and I really liked the ones you used. Some are shown in the pic below:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-03%20at%205.13.5

Did you find the weapon icons you are using from a particular place? Or did you create them yourself? They are really cool. Just looking at options and I will use what looks best and takes up the least amount of map space. 

Edited by HandofGod
NeX likes this

NeX, so I'm currently working on the weapon pickup icons bitmap(s) for my mods and I really liked the ones you used. Some are shown in the pic below:

Screen%20Shot%202015-11-03%20at%205.13.5

Did you find the weapon icons you are using from a particular place? Or did you create them yourself? They are really cool. Just looking at options and I will use what looks best and takes up the least amount of map space.

Yeah that was pretty simple, just time consuming. I really dont know how you would use sprite plates without compiling through tool. I guess you could trial and error it with eschaton, but thats a bitch. I recommend using tool for sure. I think i have the .psd files hanging around which have the dividers and spacing segmented so you can use photoshop to just replace existing icons with yours. I can tell from the selected pic that youre viewing one sheet via eschatons bitmap viewer, which wont give you a portrayal of which sprite is which index, although you could easily find that from the weapon/weapon_hud_interface tags. Basically if you want to use the BR icon as a different weapon, replace the physical icon and use whatever bitmap index I set it to from those tags to keep it consistent.

As for creating them, i found some nice side view blueprints and images, made them greyscale and edited them full size, then shrank them for the final bitmap tag

HandofGod likes this

KsqHutE.png

Interesting. Yeah I'm currently kind of stuck with Eschaton as my main tool rather than the HEK as I'm doing these mods all on Mac. I have done a ton of trial and error work with the icons and did manage to come up with something today:

56d69c4a-a39d-4f2b-8e88-5ba744df1492_zps

I used some Halo 3esque weapon pickup icon bitmap and have inserted Reach weapon icons when needed to replace the Halo 3 icons as I'm trying to be as detail oriented as possible when it comes to all the weapons this time round (as they are a mix of Halo 3, Reach, Halo Anniversary inspired). It's a pain but I'm pretty confident that it should work. I'll of course explore other alternatives when I finally get around to testing these mods and if people don't like what I did. 

Edit: these pickup icons look way too small in comparison to the icons on your map and the stock maps, will probably try something else. 

Edited by HandofGod
NeX likes this

Have you messed with the beam rifle I sent you yet, or is it not on your to-do atm?

Only thing on my to do list right now are exams and final projects :/

WaeV likes this

KsqHutE.png

The elite is still being killed after one shot from the sniper rifle.

That is because the server in question doesn't have the proper patch applied. I did not release the patch publicly, because the maps are only betas and were only officially hosted through the Cave servers, which did have the patch working. All changes have now been applied into the maps themselves and won't be an issue in the future.

I've also put this on hold indefinitely as I work on a more enjoyable project (TBA).

When I do release the finals I likely won't do anything fancy with it, nor add new maps. Just a "patch" from the beta, scrapping all unfinished and unreleased map variants

Krazychic likes this

KsqHutE.png

Yeah this was on a cave server. Also found a hole in the floor of damnationdelta next to the column near 16.93 -2.98 3.36

Yeah this was on a cave server. Also found a hole in the floor of damnationdelta next to the column near 16.93 -2.98 3.36

Sorry, I forgot that you posted here or I'd have replied again sooner.

To everybody:

This project is pretty much functionally over. It was a nice learning experience for me, but as I am only one person, I can't really achieve the quality of product I was envisioning, due to both engine limitations and just a lack of time.

It's time for me to develop some more skills so I can develop more content to work into a portfolio.

I've started working in 3DS a bit, and it's surprisingly much simpler than I imagined it would be. It's pretty fun and while I'm still VERY wet-behind-the-ears, I think I'll be able to generate post-worthy content within a few months.  I will likely be modding some BSPs and completely re-materialing them, maybe working on some skyboxes as well. I figure the worst part about most maps visually is the clunky and often shabby BSP, so why not work on something like that?

I've also started working on getting my 2D skills up to a higher level. I've bought a fairly cheap (sub $100) Intuos/Wacom drawing tablet so I can take handwritten notes directly to PDF for my classes, and I've been experimenting a bit using it with Photoshop. I'd like to create some concept art, but just like the 3D venture it will take quite some time before I have anything of a quality I'd feel comfortable posting.

To anyone who would like to continue this or pick it up, feel free to do so. All of the maps are open-source, and I have all of the data files (I think) that are in the publicly released versions. If you need a specific file, feel free to ask - I don't have the time right now to sort through it all for an organized upload, but I'm not opposed to finding a few individual items if someone wants them.

I have already repurposed much of the content for a new (much smaller) project of mine, which I currently call the "metapack" - though that may change, since it's a silly sounding name.  I'll post a thread here sooner or later to see if anyone has interest in forming a small team to speed things up - mainly someone who can model BSPs and has a decent knowledge of OS shaders and how they function. 

Thanks for all the support guys, it was a fun 2.5 years, and I really rediscovered my passion for game development as a whole.  

I graduate with my batchelors in CS this April, I'm getting married in July, so here's hoping it's a fantastic year :P

Iggy, jasecon, WaeV and 1 other like this

KsqHutE.png