Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

NeX

Halo: Revolution

1,011 posts in this topic

Well yeah, all the lines are super thick in the promo, mainly for placement. I'll rework it a bit, design a new frame, refine the details. I'm moving into my new place so itay be a few days before I get time to mess with it. Thanks for the feedback guys

KsqHutE.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Wow, that looks fantastic. Totally not shit at all. You're right, everybody leave this thread now and follow that mod because it is infinitely better and not a piece of gargled cock cheese.

NeX, TCK and Sceny like this

Wow, that looks fantastic. Totally not shit at all. You're right, everybody leave this thread now and follow that mod because it is infinitely better and not a piece of gargled cock cheese.

I think that's the point and he was joking.

NeX likes this

Umh7x1l.gif

I took another crack at the beam rifle scope during class today :P

Haven't started the details yet, don't want to get ahead of myself. It's a bit thick and bright, but I'm more concerned with the "yeah that direction" kind of feedback. 

A9gq4iU.jpg

KsqHutE.png

I think this looks a lot better than carbine scope you showed. Nice work.

08f9474ede.jpg

I think this looks a lot better than carbine scope you showed. Nice work.

It was for the beam rifle I just started from scratch after you guys ripped me a new asshold lol

KsqHutE.png

Hey NeX, do you need a new logo? I constructed the logo for the thumbnail in this video.

I also made the logo for the SBB TSCE videos.

ZTBc43S.png?1

Hey NeX, do you need a new logo? I constructed the logo for the thumbnail in this video.

I also made the logo for the SBB TSCE videos.

ZTBc43S.png?1

Definitely looks good! I talked to slowbullet about CE3 submissions, he said and I quote "submit as much as you want", so I guess they'll be making a video trailer for whatever I send them. I would definitely love one to go with new loading/PCR screens that I plan on making, those are very clean and minimal.

Waffles has kindly agreed to help out by providing DLMs for some/all of the maps (which is bad ass!)

I'm now in another conundrum which I need some feedback for:

OpenSauce has the ability to make .map files that have the extended shaders, meaning with OS client, specular lighting, micro normals, etc etc would be possible for these maps.

It also has the ability to create "mod sets", where the resource cache files (bitmaps.map, sounds.map, loc.map) are replaced with data from the maps compiled for it. This would easily put me underneath that 128MB per map limit, and would likely drop each map down into the 50-60 MB range individually, with all of the shared resources stored in a cache file in that way.

The upside: sweet, sweet graphics. I wouldn't bother messing around with any of the .yelo features like gravity lifts or other nonsense

The downside: probably won't be able to convert the CE format .maps to PC format .maps (or MD). I haven't tried, as my new PC is still in the initial set up phase, and has yet to even get my tagset or maps over onto it yet.

It would also add some time to the development process, meaning release would be pushed further back.

I'm a bit torn - OS shaders do look really good, and the ability for regular CE to run the maps still without them is pretty awesome. The dev time extension sucks, but hey. I'd rather have a finished product that I don't look back on with guilt for the road not traveled. The resource caching is a shot in the dark, and it's really the crux of this whole dilemma: I think it builds the new ones explicitly for the new maps, and doesn't take stock maps into consideration, meaning they'd need to be swapped out for one another in order to play stock maps (or maps that use those resources) and vice-versa. I'm not sure on that, but that's what it sounds like when it was described to me and on the wiki.

if the caching doesn't work out then it's bunk, because I need toolpro to build >128MB maps, which won't build them with OS extensions.

In other news, I've decided to add several new weapons to balance out the mid - long range combat and add some diversity to the gameplay. I've taken a lot of thought about not adding unnecessary things, and I think that the addition of these will be much more fun, and allow a feeling of more customization to the game and the way people play it.

As I'm sure you've all seen, I'm adding the beam rifle, which is a covenant sniper variant that does the same damage as the human sniper. However, it is able to fire 2 shots in much quicker succession, and has no need to reload due to its battery nature. Therefore, one can fire a steady stream of shots and not worry about down time from reload so long as it doesn't overheat. The current time for overheat and heat generated per shot means that the rate of fire to keep it continuously firing "cool" puts it about 20-30% slower ROF than the sniper rifle. However, in a dicey situation, the two shots can be rapped right out for a fast kill. If your opponent has their back to you, no more worrying about missing that head shot and them finding cover - just hit 'em again right after to pick up the kill in exchange for the overheat time. I'm also debating adding a slight damage to the overheat (maybe like 15-20% shield damage) although if backpacking the weapon negates this it's bunk.

The DMR will be added to balance out the carbine at mid-long range combat. It will have a slightly slower ROF, and differing zoom levels, and pack slightly more punch to the body than the shields, making it more effective on bare armor than the carbine. The carbine will however, be more accurate, faster firing, and take shields down quickly. Both will be headshot capable, but accuracy will be reduced a bit for the both of them.

Carbine zoom will return to 2x + 4x

DMR zoom will be 3x + 6x

if the double zooming causes issues, they'll go to carbine at 3x, DMR at 4x.

DMR will have a decent error when unzoomed, to keep it from becoming a go-to short range combat weapon. Its scope will make it effective, and with a large zoom like that close range combat will be much better suited to a pistol, or even the carbine.

The battle rifle! It will occupy that sweet spot of purely mid-range combat. It will fill the gap that is left where the original H1 pistol used to be - but without the OP nature. I'm highly tempted to make it a 3sk to the head as a nod to the hand cannon (12 shots to head technically), but it will keep the 2x zoom only, and be ineffective at longer ranges.

I will most likely use the DMR from bigass, since it isn't just a rip of another halo game. I think reach/h4 DMR models are pretty hideous, and this one is definitely gorgeous.

BR currently is a toss up between the TSC:E model, and a custom one that Deadhamster sent me. I don't really like the h4 BR look, but the TSC:E version is a bit too similar to the H2/H3 model for my liking. i thought those were ugly as hell. In addition, the TSC:E already has OS shaders set up for it, so that would further reduce the amount of necessary time to implement it.

New HUD elements for each are being designed, and I'm leaning closely towards a complete remake of the revolution HUD anyway to be much more minimalistic - now that I've become much more proficient in photoshop than I was when I made the current one, a new one shouldn't take as long, and would I think reflect the feel of the mod better than the current one which strikes me as too bulky as of now.

A new HUD would also have a much more minimalistic visor than currently employed, maybe even restricted to bottom only.

Thoughts/opinions? I know its a rather large jump, but after playing the betas endlessly, I realized that keeping the weapon set smaller was really just forcing people to use tools like swiss army knives, instead of having a variety that people can form personal preferences to and that may fit certain situations better, especially on larger maps where your loadout can make or break an assault attempt.

KsqHutE.png