Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

NeX

Halo: Revolution

1,011 posts in this topic

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Sanctuary's BSP is gross. Even the Zteam version. I looked through it, and decided to stick with Asylum. Although, it did only take me like 2 hours to do Asylum, so I could just do both...

KsqHutE.png

First of all, I'd like to express that I'm very happy to see you're giving love to Sanctuary. However, I've got to agree with the sentiment that you should have used the actual Sanctuary BSP instead but I understand why you're going with the Asylum version. I just hate the way Reach forge looks; definitely ported to Custom Edition.

Also, the Cage is a piece of shit map that should have never been ported to Halo PC in the first place. It's a testament to Halo PC players' God awful taste that it's been allowed to live past Halo: Reach.

Tucker933, Kvasir and Sceny like this

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

First of all, I'd like to express that I'm very happy to see you're giving love to Sanctuary. However, I've got to agree with the sentiment that you should have used the actual Sanctuary BSP instead but I understand why you're going with the Asylum version. I just hate the way Reach forge looks; definitely ported to Custom Edition.

Also, the Cage is a piece of shit map that should have never been ported to Halo PC in the first place. It's a testament to Halo PC players' God awful taste that it's been allowed to live past Halo: Reach.

But it actually jives with the look and feel of the Rev tagset pretty well, and it's a decently fun map to play. Seeing as it took such a short time to throw together, I don't feel bad at all about including it. If people hate it, they won't play it. Well, this stuff probably won't get played much anyway, but you know what I mean. I wouldn't have spent a day or more adding it, but for such a small expenditure of effort, I may as well :P

GVPWuzHere likes this

KsqHutE.png

It's a testament to Halo PC players' God awful taste that it's been allowed to live past Halo: Reach.

Nl75SoK.png

I'll have to agree with As7 here, The Cage is quite likely the worst Bungie-made-map I've ever played on, aside from Waterworks. I've never once had an enjoyable game on it, or anything even relatively close. The layout of the level is abysmal and will be much worse without legitimate gravlifts or mancannons. You should seriously, legitimately consider completely scrapping it.

That being said, the scenery you're praising is pretty... tacky? I dunno how to describe but it's this; after seeing countless countless forge variants I'm really sick of it. It's like logs in bloodgulch. I really think you'd be better off reconsidering this idea.

It's fine that you're including the Cage. I'm not complaining. I just have to mention how fucking awful that map is every time I hear it. I played the fuck out of it and I hated it from the beginning.

That being said, the scenery you're praising is pretty... tacky? I dunno how to describe but it's this; after seeing countless countless forge variants I'm really sick of it. It's like logs in bloodgulch. I really think you'd be better off reconsidering this idea.

Agreeing with this completely.

4VWJfoZ.gif

"You fix my mistakes is what you do." - Tucker
"You're useless." - Tucker 2 minutes later

"You're sort of cool in some ways." - 002

Well fuck...im testing it for playability tomorrow ill see how it goes. considering what you said I would completely scrap it if I hadn't already finished it. Seeing as I have... I'll go ahead and just put it in if it isnt HORRIBLE

KsqHutE.png

If you're really about doing it and feel you've put too much work in to use Sanctuary or scratch the cage, do this;

keep sanctuary, completely reskin the blocks and change the hue away from that bluish-gray, and then replace the cage with this;

pinnacle.jpg

Or hell, give it a playtest with your weapon set. I've only played with reach weapons, I'd imagine the same flaws would arise in the map's layout, but who knows. The flaws I remember most fondly are the long stretches of hallways in the widest-of-opens where I'd get picked off, moving vertically in the center area and getting completely lost where I'd then get murked.

The main issue I had was everything felt like it was blocked off despite being outside; like I could only fight enemies that were in the section I was, or one like right next to it. Lockout accomplished this in a good way, I loved lockout. This map doesn't do it right.

NeX likes this