What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
NeX

Halo: Revolution

1,012 posts in this topic

Hah, I remember when DeadHamster made that HUD, it was for a project we were working on prior to FTW2.

I originally wanted to change my hud to that one bout 2yrs ago. Still F%$#ing love that hud though

Edited by 60DLIK3

Tiddy-bits:

:o This is still alive? I have to download these... Hope you can finish bloodgulch soon.

Absolutely and 100%.

I work on it close to every day - but with work and uni, this becomes rather difficult to dedicate large amounts of time to. 

It's just now entering the stage of production where I'm worrying about vehicles - currently toying with the rocket warthog variant, and keeping its fire consistent. Will most likely have two firing methods - a standard rocket set, fired two at a time that converge further out with very good accuracy, and a secondary fire that's good for maybe 1 in 10 seconds that fires two homing rockets, similar to the unit-carried rocket launcher weapon. 

Chaingun hog is now close to complete as well (barring one implementation mentioned below).

Also, I plan on implementing the old Phoenix-style "pop the warthog tires with the sniper" deal. I absolutely loved that feature and it was probably my biggest heartache of Phoenix no longer implementing the sniper rifle :P

Overall, the vehicles will take a considerable amount of time, since that is (in my opinion) still the most unbalanced aspect of regular game play. Banshee whoring becomes much more difficult to do, tank camping is impractical, etc. 

My initial thoughts are (and PLEASE throw out suggestions, too. It's hard for one guy to think everything up on his own)

Tank

• Focus up the error angles on the machine gun. The one it has is pathetic and all but useless.
  • Longer recharge/reload time on main cannon. Going to have to make those shots count.
  • To compensate, main cannon is also more accurate. I have a lot of head-shaking moments at how "cheap balance" was achieved with the original game, simply by throwing unrealistically large error angles onto weapons. It's 2552, the weapons we have now are more accurate, and its ridiculous. No more.
  • Much much slower and more difficult to maneuver, this guy is BAIT for a homing rocket shot unless the driver can get out in time.

Banshee

• Keep speed/maneuverability roughly the same.
  • Tighten up banshee bolts, take away the retarded "stun" property.
  • Longer reload time on fuel rod shots
  • Fuel rod bolts may be different speeds/properties than original.

Ghost

• No shit stun properties.
  • Tightened spread of shots.
  • Same speed, but longer times between direction changes, making it less maneuverable. As it is, it's too agile to really catch, which is great, but can lead to some seriously un-fun games where people just fly in, do the hop-out-snag-hop-in without breaking their speed and head off before you even knew they were there. Sure, takes skill. Yes, you'll still be able to. No, it won't be as easy :P

Chaingun Hog

• Tire pop from sniper
  • Thinking about giving it a secondary trigger that will drop a trip/timed detonation mine. Might add some interesting gameplay elements for CTF variants.

Covvie/Human Turrets:

• Plan on having these mostly on smaller maps where other vehicles do not spawn. Strategic locations would be places that give them a wide range of fire, yet simultaneously make them exposed to prevent overpowered campers.
  • Covenant AND Human Turrets may appear in the same map, but stationary turrets will likely be mutually exclusive in their race construction.
  • Covenant turret will have less "meaningless" bolts - higher output, less projectiles, but more power. Focus here is anti-vehicle - unlikely that I'll add homing, but the speed of projectiles may be increased to account for vehicle maneuverability, along with a little stun perhaps, to slow a vehicle down as plasma shots would do. Projectiles slow enough to still be relatively ineffective against banshees.
  • Human turret will be the chaingun, higher caliber than the warthog LAAG, with slower ROF and higher damage counts. Faster overheat, more tracers, and a bigger "punch". Working on adding a "warmup" period, where the barrels begin to spin before the RPMs are high enough to enable firing....think

(whir).....thud...........thud........thud...thud...thud..thud thud thud-thud-thu-thu-thu etc.

That's the gist of it, this list is constantly updated/changed on my whims, so final product may not reflect some of this stuff.

Please, leave ideas/feedback on these, I want this to be as fair and enjoyable as possible 

Edited by NeX

KsqHutE.png

Those ideas sound awesome! Could you just make bloodgulch that is join friendly for vanilla servers?

Edited by Intrepid

Could I? Yes, but I won't, and here's why: time. It eould take a long time to texture, even using the tags I already have. I don't want to take that much time for a side project that would be far from thre quality that the standalone maps will be.

Intrepid likes this

KsqHutE.png

Update time!

Vehicles:

Chaingun Hog: 

Tank:

The shaders on the warthog need to be done, but are decent enough as is. Shouldn't take too much work to make them good.

The tank on the other hand....awful. Going to need a complete facelift. All in due time!

KsqHutE.png

Slowly but surely plowing through the vehicles.

SO: here's the current state of the ghost:

100% custom reticle/meter, thanks Sceny 1000x for the overheating map to show me how it all comes together.

Some more shader work to do on the body, as well as maybe tweak the antigrav a bit, but it's now 100% functional. 

Feedback anyone?

Also, the carbine is working now as well. 

Just a good day for updates. Trying to get vehicles workable for the mod-night beta, but we'll see what happens.

Edited by NeX
Sceny and Takka like this

KsqHutE.png

wow, very sexy. also the overheating prevents the ghost from being as OP as i remember it being especially in big open places like sidewinder. not only have you made it pretty, you've turned it into a weapon of skill :)

NeX likes this

I've also followed Tucker's example in Phoenix and nerfed the vehicle collision damage. It will hurt you, sure, but unless you're going full speed, a single bump isn't likely to kill a fully shielded player. Now if they ram you into a wall, you're done. But if they're just backing up and bump you, it's not an instant death. This will help against the snatch-and-grab tactics for ghost users for sidewinder, where they take the ghost in, drive straight back, killing everyone in the way, and then back out again, killing all the respawns. If you're caught off gaurd the first time, chances are you'll be killed so soon after respawn as they exit that you won't be able to do anything about it. 

Sceny likes this

KsqHutE.png