What happened to OC? - CLOSED Carnage?!
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Solaris

World's Most Expensive Hard Drive Teardown

11 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

It's amazing how far we've come in 30 years of data storage.

System Administrator (Well Rounded) | AWS | Azure | Microsoft 365

I'm not watching 43 minutes.  How much does it store?  What are its base specs?

The IBM drive in itself is only 20MB. 9 platters just over 1MB of storage capacity on each. Was a quarter of 1 mil when it first came out. They used to release some kind of chemical agent in the server room when there was a fire because it would preserve the data, however the gas would kill you if you didn't leave the room or if you didn't have a gas mask on.

Skeezix the Cat likes this

The IBM drive in itself is only 20MB. 9 platters just over 1MB of storage capacity on each. Was a quarter of 1 mil when it first came out. They used to release some kind of chemical agent in the server room when there was a fire because it would preserve the data, however the gas would kill you if you didn't leave the room or if you didn't have a gas mask on.

That is awesome.  Sorry, I just don't have the patience nor data allowance to watch long videos.

Solaris likes this

oVoXWXc.png

That is awesome.  Sorry, I just don't have the patience nor data allowance to watch long videos.

Completely understandable.

The drive was close to 2GB. I'm sure there were 3.5" drives holding many times 10MB back in 1991. :P

Edited by Btcc22

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0