Welcome to Open Carnage

A resource for Halo 1 modding and tech, with unique means of rewarding individual content creation and support. Have a wander to see why we're worth the time! EST. 2012

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Skeezix the Cat

Movie Review - World War Z

15 posts in this topic

9/10

Please do not take my score as professional; I am quite lax and not as critical as others.  Particularly in genres that tend to have picky fans such as zombies.  This is also just what I interpreted from the movie, it's quite possible that I missed something or derped and got something wrong.

World War Z is 'loosely' based off of the novel by Max Brooks, or at least that's what the opening credits tell you.  Well, it's not.  The book is a collection of short stories whereas the movie has a single, continuous plot.  Gerry Lane, a former U.N. agent and his family are stuck in a traffic jam when the dead finally start to gain numbers and are forced to leave their car, before taking an RV and hole up in an apartment.  Gerry's ties with the U.N. and talents make him and his family eligible to be airlifted to a group of naval ships acting as a refuge and central hub of command for any remaining political and military bodies.  Gerry is asked to leave his family aboard and pursue clues as to how the infection came about, which would hopefully lead to a cure or solution.  Gerry then travels to several parts of the world and along the way notices patterns and slowly starts to understand what needs to be done.

How they portrayed zombies and how infections work I think is a more creative and a lot more mysterious (since it is never explained exactly how transmission of the disease can and cannot occur) way than your traditional generic zombie virus without deviating too much from it.  The time it takes for someone to turn bugged me at first; it is shown that 12 seconds is how long it takes although characters in the movie state that it has taken up to ten minutes for someone to die and reanimate.  While this seemed unnecessarily unrealistic, I ended up favoring it because several key points of the movie would have been confusing and/or stupid if it took any longer.

In conclusion, it's certainly worth the $10 or however much it costs to go and see it, especially if you're a zombie fan.  WWZ finds a striking balance between shoot all da bombs everywhurrr and a grown up, intelligent story about the dead ripping your throat out and why.  At no point did I find myself bored with overly detailed and analytical discussion, nor did I say "enough explosions already, do smart stuff now!"

Tucker933, PaleBlueBox and Terry like this

oVoXWXc.png

Members of Open Carnage never see off-site ads.

Just watched this today. It was fantastic!

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure."-Somewhere on the internet  

Just saw this last night, really enjoyed it but the ending seemed kind of sudden.

Yeah, but on the bright side: they're planning a sequel. Hopefully they will be able to make up for it.

Yeah, but on the bright side: they're planning a sequel. Hopefully they will be able to make up for it.

I think they did a great job of wrapping things up. It was sudden, but they answered my questions and showed some stuff with it.

oVoXWXc.png

I wanted to see the 1000s of immigrant survivors mass produce the camouflage decease, and if they managed to make it non-lethal.

Also, if Americans are so pro-guns, why didn't we see how they managed/survived?