Takka

Recent Purchases

1400 posts in this topic

Tiddy-bits:

My dad hustles auctions and he came up on a HP Proliant DL380P Gen8 server that he sold to me for 125 bucks

Looks like this:

Spoiler

hp-proliant-dl380p-gen8-2u-25x-2-5-sff-4

The particular model he sold me has 2 Intel Xeon E5-2640s, 16gb of RAM, and no hard drives. I'm going to get 3 2tb drives in it and set it up for RAID 5 and then after that I'll look into upgrading the RAM. It supports 768gb but I doubt I'll get more than 128.

Enclusion and Takka like this

I will finally be able to host minecraft servers with higher than default view distances.

Seriously though, while hosting games for my family and friends is definitely on the docket, I've been developing a networked application and having my own local development environment is very nice. I've been using a raspberry pi b+ for a while now and it's been great but it's starting to bog down sometimes. Getting a cheap workstation was something I had been considering but this fell into my lap so I went for it. I've also been wanting to free up the pi for some other things I've been wanting to do, like play with the GPIO header. For example, my son might get k'nex for christmas and I'm thinking of doing some cool stuff with it with him.

Guess I splurged a lot but everything is on a 0% APR financing credit. I could afford them upfront but it feels nicer not getting an immediate slap in the face. I don't usually do fat purchases so this shouldn't increase at all until it's payed off over the next 12 months. My nice holiday bonus also helps a lot.

But I picked up a number of things.
Traded in my Pixel 4a (which may or may not have been kick flipped into the toilet and started having issues with bluetooth enabled) for a Pixel 7. Did this before Black Friday but I was able to get the difference refunded when the sales started. In the end I'm likely expecting to only pay $200 for it assuming they don't catch the one issue.
A 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SATA SSD for ~$150 to replace my 3TB HDD that's being used as a dedicated game drive.
A Sabrent 4-Bay Docking Station along with a Seagate Exos 18TB HDD. I can't fit anymore HDD's into my PC with the mistake of a radiator I picked out. Also know I don't need 18TB's but it was the best price/GB so I said why the fuck not. I'm a buy once kind of person. I'll get another one next year and do some sort of redundancy storage with it.

I would have really liked a Seagate Mach-2 drive but I can't find them available online yet... With exception of the one sketchy ebay listing.

Takka likes this

"You're nothing but a thing to me." -Tucker933 2016   

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"It's not incest until it's in." -Caesar 2017

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"I felt left out so I added myself to your signature." -Pfhunkie 2020

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????
"In the quiet the silence is louder." -My Sister 2021

5 minutes ago, Sunstriker7 said:

You gonna fill all those M.2 slots bro? It'd be a lot cooler if you did.

lol the 1TB on my current build is already a lot more than I've ever needed, and I don't feel like I'm going to need RAID either.

Enclusion and Sunstriker7 like this

Oddly, this is familiar to you... as if from an old dream.  

I respect your choice of parts.
Though I personally don't need the multicore performance anymore so, if I didn't have the build I did, woulda went with a 5xxx series CPU or waited on X3D series. 7xxx series somehow managed to push really great multicore gains but not a lot of singlecore.

"Mine's not huge, but neither are my hands, so it's a real good fit." -Badga666 2017                

"Poison dart frogs aren't poisonous. Mankind is a poison and the dart frogs are the cure." -Somewhere on the internet 

"English isn't my primary language. It's also the only language I know." -ShikuTeshi ????

Noticed I was a little low on coolant for my loop while installing the SSD.
So I thought I'd just completely replace the fluid with clear fluid since I was using EK "Mystic Fog" which had particles in it. Looked like semen without lighting through it. Also wore on the clear tubing and is a much higher risk at wearing out the other components.
Also replacing the clear tubing with more resilient black tubing. Don't have a clear panel to see inside anyways. So picking up the thing that's way more resilient to light and heat degradation.
And finally a hot plug drain adapter for future cleaning.

Takka and Sceny like this